Large scab area question

Hello,. My guy got an FUT 3 months ago and everything is coming along normally. He had a large scab area, that finally came off with the help of staff as he went for some laser treatments. They were on for longer than should have. They told him it would be awhile before hair popped through in that area. So far, that has been true. I haven’t touched the area in awhile though to see if I feel anything. The area is about 1.5” circle.

Has anybody had this before and when did you finally see hairs pop through? He’s had laser, 3 PRP treatments. 

Also, he lost a lot of hair from the transplant and then shock loss of the remaining hair afterwards. We are hopeful that will grow back, but are concerned about the ones that were gone after the transplant. How do you tell what is native and what is transplanted hair as it grows back? Or can you at all?  But like I said, except for the large scab area, things are moving along well. It’s been a long winter for him. 

Edited by Helper
Typo

• Administrators

You shouldn't expect to start seeing growth until 3 months. How long did he have the scab?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

That shouldn't have an effect on the outcome, 3 months is the very beginning. Don't expect substantial change until 8-10 months.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

The timetable for the scabs is normal...it just sounds like he had a larger than normal size scab.  It is possible that there may be a little more scar tissue than normal under that large area however as Melvin stated, the emergence of regrowth occurs at 3-4 months post-op and the entire regrowth process lasts up to 12 months post-op to visually see the final manifested result.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thank you. I also am wondering about the hair he lost from having the grafts inserted. He has diffused hair and they were inserted within all his hair. Do you think those native hairs that were lost during surgery will re-emerge or were they damaged with the inserts and are lost. I understand you don’t really know, individual results and all, but is this normal? 

Hi Helper, 

The scab was dislodged at 3 weeks post-op? What did the staff do to remove it? Was there a dent or sort of "crater" in the skin underneath after it was removed, or did the skin look normal? 

It is normal to see little to no growth at 3 months post-op. It is also normal to see "patchy" grow, and this may very well be a coincidence. And you did not damage the underlying follicles by removing the scab at 3 weeks. Everything is completely "anchored" and essentially a permanent part of the body at that point. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

Hi Helper, 

The scab was dislodged at 3 weeks post-op? What did the staff do to remove it? Was there a dent or sort of "crater" in the skin underneath after it was removed, or did the skin look normal? 

It is normal to see little to no growth at 3 months post-op. It is also normal to see "patchy" grow, and this may very well be a coincidence. And you did not damage the underlying follicles by removing the scab at 3 weeks. Everything is completely "anchored" and essentially a permanent part of the body at that point. 

Welcome back Dr. B 🙌

View my thread

Thank you, Melvin. It is good to be back. 

Congratulations on the new position. I know a guy who worked that job for years and thoroughly enjoyed it! 

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

The staff just massaged it more vigorously, didn’t pick at it or anything. Gave him a PRP treatment to help with the healing. There was no crater when it finally came off in the shower. It looked normal. I think they were several that looked like one big one. 

He has patchy growth right now all over. It sounds like he’s all good, just need to wait it out.  Thanks for responding Dr, and everyone else,

5 hours ago, Helper said:

The staff just massaged it more vigorously, didn’t pick at it or anything. Gave him a PRP treatment to help with the healing. There was no crater when it finally came off in the shower. It looked normal. I think they were several that looked like one big one. 

He has patchy growth right now all over. It sounds like he’s all good, just need to wait it out.  Thanks for responding Dr, and everyone else,

Helper, 

Thank you for sharing this additional information. 

Although I cannot say for certain without evaluating in-person, this sounds pretty normal -- especially if he had several of these larger scabs. Some patients simply form more of these in the post-op., and they can be difficult to dislodge. 

My educated assumption would be that this area will grow similar to the rest of the transplanted region when things fully mature. 

Hope this helps. 

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Helper said:

This sounds to me like he could have had a graft site that was a light, slow bleeder for a few days with the small amount of blood spreading around the nearby grafts. The scab then forms like one large scab covering several grafts and the healing/scab fall off from that area is a few days to a week behind the rest of the grafts as the blood was still fresh a few days longer in that spot. If that's the case then it shouldn't be a problem.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

As Dr. Bloxham eluded, it is not unusual for some spots within the recipient area to scab more than others.  Incisions can heal somewhat differently as the scalp repairs them.  The key I believe was that the wound was not unusual in coloration and shape.

Regarding the lost hair between the grafts...this was IMHO more related to shock loss and this can especially occur to hair that is more diffused...and how the existing native hair responds to the level of trauma induced from the recipient incisions.

Will it come back?...some of it should...it really depends on how diffused the hair was because hair that is in an advanced stage of diffusion usually does not....only time will tell and again why it will take the full maturation period to visually see the end result....and, also evaluate if another pass ( more density) will be desired.

The nice aspect of all this is that terminal hair is being transplanted into the area and will provide much better visual coverage as opposed to diffused hair.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Yes it is very nice to see Dr. Bloxam back!...welcome back Dr. Blake...:D

Gillenator