Can Saw Palmetto Stop Hair Loss?

Can Saw Palmetto Stop Hair Loss  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Administrators

Have any of you guys tried Saw Palmetto? I would love to hear the communities thoughts and input.

Can Saw Palmetto Stop Hair Loss

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I've heard about this for years.  I have heard mixed results.  Some swear by it.  The first thing I would do is as the doctor's opinion.  And if it is a go, use it for 6-12 months and keep track of results.  After 1 year you can reassess, (by comparing photos - for example), and decide if it is something you want to continue.  

• 7 months later...
On 3/27/2019 at 5:25 PM, Bill - Seemiller said:

There may be an in between, but for the most part, I don’t think it really does much to stop hair loss especially if used topically.   It may have some marginal affect if used orally. 

Is it safe to use orally?

• 1 month later...

There are several researches on this topic.
SP ability to reduce DHT in humans is very controversial. Some papers report that SP efficacy is about 1/3 compared to finasteride while others claim that SP as no efficacy at all ("In addition, in a 7 day human clinical trial, finasteride, but not Permixon or placebo, decreased serum DHT in men, further confirming the lack of 5 alpha reductase inhibition by Permixon").

Anyway, some authors suggest that SP can improve hair growth via a DHT indigent 
mechanism (for ex., "LSESr promoted the hair regeneration and repair of hair loss mouse models by activating TGF-β signaling and mitochondrial signaling pathway").

Since 3 days, I've taking fina e saw palmetto. I'm not feeling any side (If I have to be honest, I can feel my libido increased). I'll keep you updated!