Duta and Finasteride together

Gigantass

• Administrators

Are you trying to take both daily? Yes I would say that's redundant. I have heard of some guys taking finasteride daily and 0.5 mg of dut once a week. That wouldn't be redundant, but IMO you should probably use either or.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I am taking both daily.  I have been on fina for 4 years approximately.  I had HT (all in the front, check my posts) in 2017, Hasson, and wanted more fullness in the crown.  I replaced the fina with duta about 6 months ago, daily, and experienced loss.  

So I started fina again after about 2 months, proscar split in 4, so approx 1.25 daily, with the dutasteride daily.

Im experiencing little to no loss now, and no hairs on my pillow in the morning!

Ive read that people take fina daily, with a one time weekly dose of duta, would that be sufficient?  anyone else share my experience?

3 hours ago, Gigantass said:

I am taking both daily.  I have been on fina for 4 years approximately.  I had HT (all in the front, check my posts) in 2017, Hasson, and wanted more fullness in the crown.  I replaced the fina with duta about 6 months ago, daily, and experienced loss.  

So I started fina again after about 2 months, proscar split in 4, so approx 1.25 daily, with the dutasteride daily.

Im experiencing little to no loss now, and no hairs on my pillow in the morning!

Ive read that people take fina daily, with a one time weekly dose of duta, would that be sufficient?  anyone else share my experience?

any side effects?

First, ask the doctor.  

Second, have you tried one day Fin and one day Dut?  Most believe there can be potential side effects. Obviously the percentage drops when the pill is quartered, but by adding more med, you are increasing the chance of the side effect.  Since you have not had any, it is unlikely you will, but keep an eye on it.

I few years ago I worked for a doctor that did his graduate work on Fin.  He concluded, long term, that the use of this med would result in dementia.  Perhaps.  But I think this is true of anything we do in excess.  

I would be interested in learning what happens to you.  I've been on Fin for 20 years and do feel that what I have is the result of the meds and the surgeries I've had.  I will probably continue taking it for the next 100 years.

There is some research showing that daily finasteride plus a tiny dose of dutasteride, like 1 mg PER WEEK is a viable course of action, particularly if you have noticed that you've started losing ground on Finasteride where it was once effective.

Both daily is probably not beneficial.

7 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

very detailed and official study lol

It's hardly conclusive, though not much about Dutasteride is other than it seems to be more effective than Finasteride for SOME patients. If you want the full article and not just the abstract, it's here.

https://www.academia.edu/22488595/Combination_therapy_with_finasteride_and_low-dose_dutasteride_in_the_treatment_of_androgenetic_alopecia