Can Going Vegan Cure Hair Loss

• Administrators

I stumbled on some "hair loss cures" on YouTube and saw many of the guys claimed to reverse hair loss by going Vegan. Any of you guys Vegan? If so did you notice a difference?

Can Going Vegan Cure Hair Loss

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Well, any claims to restoring hair by switching your diet is either fake or because someone’s die it was so bad that they had extreme now nutrition and their hair loss was due to that. But usually, hair loss is due to genetics and switching to a vegan will not help.

That said, I would like to hear what other people have to say… I am open minded as maybe there’s one particular vegan food that stops DHT for all I know. Let’s hear some thoughts 🙂

Bill

I firmly believe what you eat/drink has a direct result on what happens internally and externally to your body. hair included.  I would not go so far as saying vegan will cure hair loss though thats silly.

if you are looking to improve any part of your physical appearance, hair included, diet has to be high on the list.

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

Patients bring up diet as a potential cause of their hair loss very frequently during consultations. Some even tell me they are "kicking themselves" because they know the poor diet caused the hair loss. As Bill noted, this is very much not the case. 

In the end, classic genetic patterned hair loss is just that: genetic. It is written in your DNA. It is like your eye color, height, or anything else like that. If I told you that switching to a vegan diet would change your eye color from blue to brown, would you believe me? Of course not! Physical traits like this are genetically pre-determined before you are even born, and there is very little we can typically do to change them. 

Things like excessive stress, very poor diet (IE "crashing dieting"), may slightly exacerbate inevitable hair loss or unmask it a little, but it was going to reach the same conclusion pretty much regardless of what you did; it is written in your genetic code and your genes will win out in the end. 

Now, this does not mean that you shouldn't eat healthy for other reasons, but I just would not expect it to do much for your hair. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Resident vegan here, and as much as I would like to say that going vegan can reverse MPB in order to encourage other people to get on board, I simply don't think it's true from a scientific/physiological standpoint alone. As Dr. Bloxham mentioned, hair loss is genetic - and no matter what you eat, your genes are your genes. ;)

That said - being vegan/eating healthy in general does support my body/hair in other ways. The more balanced your diet is and the more nutrients you're getting, the better your skin, body, and often even your hair will respond - and if someone's hair loss is being caused by something other than MPB, like a lack of nutrients, then maybe the'll see improvements when they improve their diet. But reversing MPB? I'll stick with science and say no. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

If changing your diet has an effect on your hair loss, you're suffering from malnutrition, an almost unheard of malady in population groups who frequent Internet hair loss forums.

Aside from Loniten, which isn't safe or predicable, there are three substances that pass through the mouth and arrest falling hair: finasteride, dutasteride and any sort of terminal poison. 

I doubt it helps.  At the end of the day,  diets consisting of vitamin d3, efa, dha, vitamin b, other nutrients can help prevent hairloss for other hairloss reasons vs hereditary.  I know few vegans that are slick bald.

On 3/29/2019 at 6:18 PM, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

Patients bring up diet as a potential cause of their hair loss very frequently during consultations. Some even tell me they are "kicking themselves" because they know the poor diet caused the hair loss. As Bill noted, this is very much not the case. 

In the end, classic genetic patterned hair loss is just that: genetic. It is written in your DNA. It is like your eye color, height, or anything else like that. If I told you that switching to a vegan diet would change your eye color from blue to brown, would you believe me? Of course not! Physical traits like this are genetically pre-determined before you are even born, and there is very little we can typically do to change them. 

Things like excessive stress, very poor diet (IE "crashing dieting"), may slightly exacerbate inevitable hair loss or unmask it a little, but it was going to reach the same conclusion pretty much regardless of what you did; it is written in your genetic code and your genes will win out in the end. 

Now, this does not mean that you shouldn't eat healthy for other reasons, but I just would not expect it to do much for your hair. 

This is like telling someone that has an autoimmune disease to eat whatever they want it wont change things because they inherited it. Bad advice imo. Is it I inherited? Yes. It is NOTHING like eye color. Proper diet can CHANGE YOUR WORLD.  I am not saying a completely bald person can regrow hair by eating correctly.  I am saying that if you feel it's in your Gene's you can slow it down if not stop it from happening by putting the right things in your body.  Doctors are not there to tell you these things IMO they are there to prescribe meds and perform surgery.  That's how they make money. 

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

All the folks I knew from 20 years back who espoused that philosophy as a hair loss treatment--at least those who advocated for it in opposition to 5-α-reductase inhibitors (as opposed to those who suggested healthy lifestyle changes to compliment proven hair loss treatments)--are now NW6+ or well on their way. Every singe one of them.

That's a cold fact.

An educated, active and ongoing awareness of what you put in your body and where it originated--not to mention the environmental and social impact of actually getting it on your dinner table--is critical to overall health, conscientious citizenship and individual well being. Just don't confuse or conflate any of that with stopping hair loss.

Of course you don't need a stranger like me on some Internet forum to tell you these things. Time always gets the job done. The thing is, once your hair is gone, it's gone. There simply isn't enough time in this war, especially in the early stages when the stakes are highest, to make the wrong decisions. 

Edited by Motoro

On 4/1/2019 at 6:59 AM, Shifty said:

This is like telling someone that has an autoimmune disease to eat whatever they want it wont change things because they inherited it. Bad advice imo. Is it I inherited? Yes. It is NOTHING like eye color. Proper diet can CHANGE YOUR WORLD.  I am not saying a completely bald person can regrow hair by eating correctly.  I am saying that if you feel it's in your Gene's you can slow it down if not stop it from happening by putting the right things in your body.  Doctors are not there to tell you these things IMO they are there to prescribe meds and perform surgery.  That's how they make money. 

Not necessarily. Diet can literally work wonders, but it is not even in the same realm as genetic coding. 

Diet can: strengthen your hair, make it much more healthy, and so on, but if you are genetically predisposed to a balding pattern, no dietary change can alter the expression of the many genes that encode for hair loss. 

As everyone has said, a good diet should be sought after in every instance, irrespective of hairloss. If nothing more than to live longer, healthier, and happier lives.