Top 5 hair transplant surgeons.

• Administrators

Don't get caught up in lists they are subjective. It really boils down to hairline design, that is the biggest difference between surgeons. Again this does not mean that one surgeon is better than the other, it depends on personal preference and taste.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Don't get caught up in lists they are subjective. It really boils down to hairline design, that is the biggest difference between surgeons. Again this does not mean that one surgeon is better than the other, it depends on personal preference and taste.

I disagree.  Hairline design is one difference but surgeons change their designs based on age, loss, and so on. I think artistry is way up there as a difference, stick and place with custom sized incisions, separating 1s and fine 1s,l ow turn over and long term staff, and other protocol.  I do not think it is a coincidence that the top 5 and 10 lists are so consistent.  

• Like 3

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

While I don’t doubt Dr. Couto is an excellent surgeon, one thing you have to take into account is that 90% of his work is on Spanish patients who have just about the best hair to transplant. Not saying I wouldn’t put him top 5, but that’s an important factor. 

Dr Lorenzo also deserves a mention

Dr Hasson is my personal top pick for obvious reasons

Dr Wong is also up there

Dr Konior seems to be another great and surgical surgeon 

I agree with Dr Ferudini also

Dr Shipiro x2

Dr Alexander 

Dr Diep

That’s probably my 10 personal favourites not in order, my top 3 in order would probably be 1)Hasson 2)Konior 3)Lorenzo/Couto

These are all strong picks. Cuoto seems like a hard doctor to assess — his YouTube videos look great, but I haven’t seen many patient accounts that really document his process and techniques.

I’m not too knowledgeable about the docs in Europe and Turkey, but I’d definitely include Konior, H&W, and Rahal in my top 5. With the remaining slots going to someone like Cooley, Shapiro, Diep, Ferduini, Cuoto, or maybe a couple of the other European doctors.

Edited by RecessionProof

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Spanker said:

I disagree.  Hairline design is one difference but surgeons change their designs based on age, loss, and so on. I think artistry is way up there as a difference, stick and place with custom sized incisions, separating 1s and fine 1s,l ow turn over and long term staff, and other protocol.  I do not think it is a coincidence that the top 5 and 10 lists are so consistent.  

I didn’t mean in general, im talking about comparing elite surgeons. For example, konoir vs wong they both perform refined hair transplantation, so the difference maker IMO is the hairline design.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

15 hours ago, hairman22 said:

couto,lorenzo, freitas are very selective on who they take on.

have to be on propecia and have very good donor hair

Not sure that's correct unless he's changed his criteria for patients in the last few years. I had a procedure with him in 2014 and I wasn't taking propecia.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Don't believe in ranking clinics tbh. There is good doctors, bad doctors, great doctors or awful ones.

For sake of discussion I would say my recommendation will be :

FUT: H&W , Hattingen , Diep, Konior , Rahal. I put 1st 3 above the rest btw. 

FUE: Devroye,Asmed, Rahal, couto,lorenzo

Value for money (if you are relatively on tight budget) : Asmed &  Hattingen. Obviously plenty of Turkish HT surgeon are cheaper, but not of much quality.

I don't follow many American surgeons tbh, so I am probably missing few names. Due to their prices.

India have some top FUE surgeons, but not really well tested with other ethnicity  to put them among the elite. 

On 3/23/2019 at 9:59 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I agree with your point but not your reasoning.

I've been introduced to Hattingen lately, and I am liking them more and more especially for diffused hair loss. I am planning for HT in next couple of years and right now they are 1 on my list. Seems like a no bs clinic who makes best use of the grafts they take. And it isn't a well known clinic for English speaking forums like this one.

That is why it is difficult to rank clinics. In the Arab world It is either local clinics or Turkey, no one knows anything about H&W etc. And it isn't even Asmed or Yaman or Cinik etc. They are other doctors who specialized in middle eastern work and spent ton of money of marketing in Egypt and gulf area. You will be cursed if you suggested any other name outside of the half dozen Turkish doctors there. Although tbf many of them have got some outstanding results, and I would say there are 2 very good doctors here in Egypt, although not comparable to the elite level. But they can get you decent results for 1$ per graft

Same goes everywhere, what is known in German speaking world is different to this of English/Spanish/Indian/Chinese/Arab etc. There is probably thousands of doctors who do this surgery and tough to compare. Lots of factors in patients and type of surgery too. 

All great inputs from knowledgeable folks. I am currently evaluating doctors for my HT which I plan later in the year.

I am considering Feriduni, Hattingen, Freitas (long wait ), Lorenzo (No reply!) and Dr. Konior. I am a NW 3A with thinning in the frontal area. Require hairline design and work, temples, and frontal head. I am looking at somewhere between 3000 - 3500 grafts. Would like to be a bit aggressive. Youthful hairlines are always more appealing to me. 

I am willing to travel to get the best result. I am 55 and expect this to be my last HT. Have had one before with Dr Ron Shapiro in 2004. Quite satisfied with his work.

Who would you recommend specifically for hairline, temple, and frontal density? I am looking for the best in class doctor.  I don't need a doctor who is good for mega-sessions or who can cover more real-estate.

Thanks folks, Appreciate the input.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:58 AM, Pete-from-Farjo said:

Not sure that's correct unless he's changed his criteria for patients in the last few years. I had a procedure with him in 2014 and I wasn't taking propecia.

Hi Pete - back in Nov 2013 you booked me with Dr. Lorenzo and I had a great procedure with him, I'm booked to see him for a follow up in May 2019.  He does indeed want you to be on propecia, I had gone off propecia for a couple years and had some thinning in my crown area, I'm going in to have that fixed and he wanted me back on propecia.  We agreed on a low dose propecia, so I'm taking 1mg 3x per week.

15 hours ago, Gotime said:

Hi Pete - back in Nov 2013 you booked me with Dr. Lorenzo and I had a great procedure with him, I'm booked to see him for a follow up in May 2019.  He does indeed want you to be on propecia, I had gone off propecia for a couple years and had some thinning in my crown area, I'm going in to have that fixed and he wanted me back on propecia.  We agreed on a low dose propecia, so I'm taking 1mg 3x per week.

Ah Ok, perhaps he's made this change recently then. Glad your procedure was a success. 

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

1 hour ago, rocketmas said:

@ Gotime, Pete-from-Farjo,

I have not been successful in getting in touch with Dr Lorenzo. Can you please share his email or contact details ? How is their responsiveness ?

thanks,

Sunil

His contact info is all on the homepage of their website. I have heard they can be slow to respond at times though.

On 3/26/2019 at 1:02 AM, harry_potter1 said:

Don't believe in ranking clinics tbh. There is good doctors, bad doctors, great doctors or awful ones.

For sake of discussion I would say my recommendation will be :

FUT: H&W , Hattingen , Diep, Konior , Rahal. I put 1st 3 above the rest btw. 

FUE: Devroye,Asmed, Rahal, couto,lorenzo

Value for money (if you are relatively on tight budget) : Asmed &  Hattingen. Obviously plenty of Turkish HT surgeon are cheaper, but not of much quality.

I went with Hattingen 4 months ago - I am glad somebody (you and @rocketmas ) added them to the list. World class clinic

Edited by TrixGlendevon

@TrixGlendevon

I not only added them to my list but sent an email around a week ago. Haven't heard back from them. How is their communication? Response from docs in Europe is generally slow compared to say Dr. K., who responds himself within a day. 

Question on Hattingen - Are they very good for hairline, frontal head, and temple points work or would you say more for coverage of large areas ? How would you rate them compared to Dr Feriduni?

Thanks,

S

1 hour ago, rocketmas said:

@TrixGlendevon

I not only added them to my list but sent an email around a week ago. Haven't heard back from them. How is their communication? Response from docs in Europe is generally slow compared to say Dr. K., who responds himself within a day. 

Question on Hattingen - Are they very good for hairline, frontal head, and temple points work or would you say more for coverage of large areas ? How would you rate them compared to Dr Feriduni?

Thanks,

S

Yeah, response is a little slow but as you say, I found that in general across Europe. The problem is that he is involved in the surgery but also the one who responds to the emails and does the consultations. Pretty hard to fit all three things in to one day. If you want, inbox me and I will give you the receptionist's email address. Post-surgery, they give you their cell numbers so you can text or ring them directly if there are any issues.

As most people on this site will (hopefully) attest to, I did a lot of due diligence and spent 2-3 years researching this. However, in that time I didn't look at temple points at all because I do not need them doing so I really can't answer that question. The hairlines however are amazing but conservative. Look on the German and French fora for examples. I don't take/want to take medication and am a high NW pattern so needed to have a conservative hairline so this suited me. For others (you), it may not.

I actually went for a consultation with Dr Feriduni. I do not think I need to wax lyrical about him or say how much of a lovely, generally great guy he is or how knowledgable he is so I will not. I loved the hairline that he drew for me (except for the fact it started above my natural hairline) but he wanted to do FUE and would not budge to FUT (or to start the hairline at my natural hairline). He even gave me a discount to convince me to have FUE. In the consultation he gave me his very honest opinion (positive and negative) about some of the other doctors I had consulted with and also ones I was considering. He spoke really, really highly of Hattingen saying they were "an excellent choice - a really, very good choice" - he also spoke very positively of H&W FYI. The fact they do FUT, have many, many good examples online and then were spoken so highly about by another doctor who has a world class reputation despite him knowing I would probably go there sealed it for me.

Edited by TrixGlendevon

On 3/24/2019 at 8:26 AM, Aftermath said:

While I don’t doubt Dr. Couto is an excellent surgeon, one thing you have to take into account is that 90% of his work is on Spanish patients who have just about the best hair to transplant.

Are you being serious? 

You think hair quality and suitability for a hair transplant is based on nationality? That's got to be one of the most stupidest things I've read on this forum. 

1 hour ago, gettingfue said:

Are you being serious? 

You think hair quality and suitability for a hair transplant is based on nationality? That's got to be one of the most stupidest things I've read on this forum. 

It really isn't stupid. People from certain parts of the world can have hair characteristics that are more conducive to producing a  good result compared to people from other parts of the world. Spanish, south asian people for example generally have thicker hair with a higher hair caliber, which not only gives them a good chance of a good result on top but also helps the donor area look look relatively unscathed when it comes to FUE procedures. Now that  doesn't mean someone is guaranteed a great procedure but it increases the percentages in their favour. 

1 hour ago, gettingfue said:

Are you being serious? 

What he meant was ethnicity not nationality, and he is absolutely right it 100% matters

The point of this forum is for everyone to speak and be heard, so not only are you wrong but your attitude is not helpful. 

7 hours ago, Upshall said:

What he meant was ethnicity not nationality, and he is absolutely right it 100% matters

The point of this forum is for everyone to speak and be heard, so not only are you wrong but your attitude is not helpful. 

How am I making it so someone is not heard? I'm merely engaging with what someone said. You yourself identified the problem in his post, in that he is confusing nationality with ethnicity. Although I would be keen to hear what ethnicity you think Spanish people have, although I know that is going off topic.

My point is though, I remain unconvinced. Within any ethnicity there is as much variation as there is between ethnicity. So take a race, say caucasian people. Some of these people will have amazing hairy characteristics, whereas others will have poor hair characteristics. I'm sure this sentiment is replicated for every ethnic group. To say 'ethnicity X have great hair characteristics' is reminiscent of Victorian science (which justified racism with it's notion of biological determinism) and yes, I maintain, is completely stupid. 

9 hours ago, gettingfue said:

Are you being serious? 

Unfortunate that its one of the stupidest things you've read on the forum, because it also happens to be true. Obviously as a generalisation of course.

40 minutes ago, gettingfue said:

My point is though, I remain unconvinced. Within any ethnicity there is as much variation as there is between ethnicity. So take a race, say caucasian people. Some of these people will have amazing hairy characteristics, whereas others will have poor hair characteristics. I'm sure this sentiment is replicated for every ethnic group. To say 'ethnicity X have great hair characteristics' is reminiscent of Victorian science (which justified racism with it's notion of biological determinism) and yes, I maintain, is completely stupid. 

This is completely nonsense.

It is a scientific fact for example that (East-)Asian in average (!) have thicker hair diameter, but a lower # of FU/cm2. Also they have often straight hair. Africans have in average (!) the lowest # of graft/cm2 but often curly grafts which makes FUE more challenging. 

The same data average data exists for blond (highest FU/cm2), dark and red hair (lowest) for Caucasians.

There is also difference in height between people from different places in the world or different amount of beard hair. Of course there are outlayers (like me having poor beard hair^^) but the average data is still true. I am one of the most sensitive users here in case of racism (just ask the mods that In complained about several users), but this are facts and there is nth bad about it.