Help! Considering FUE transplant

Tacos245

hello everyone,

I recently came upon this website and decided to become a part of this community. For the past year I’ve been strongly considering an FUE procedure. I’m 28 years of age and I have been suffering from minor temple recession. I first noticed the recession when I was about 20 but I have not worsened at all (thankfully). About a year ago I was advised by a reputable California surgeon I would need anywhere from 850 grafts - 1100 grafts. So far I’ve been able to style my hair where I can effectively conceal the temple area to show no recession at all. Still, it’s constantly bugging me, not being able to style my hair how I want, and the overall dissatisfaction knowing that I have temple recession and the fact I can’t go for a swim with the risk of people taking notice. It’s really taken over a big part of my life.

I want a solution to this issue. I’ve never taken medication nor will I start to do so . I strongly believe (my doctor agrees) I don’t have an aggressive form of hair loss.

There’s no hair loss history on my fathers side. My mother’s side is unknown. My brothers and father have full heads of hair.

I have no crown loss. I will be posting photos.

Overall, I’m looking for opinions from people who have gone through with this procedure or who have knowledge of the process. One thing constantly holding me back is the idea or possibility of shock loss or just getting an overall horrible result. I’m hoping to have my procedure in California with a great surgeon or I recently came across dr. Nader Reynosa in Mexico.

Thank you for your time

• Administrators

If you need less than a 1,000 grafts you have a full head of hair. Now, I can't say for sure because you haven't posted pictures, so I will reserve final judgement until I see pictures.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Tacos245

Hi, How are you.

It would appear that you have experienced some hair loss in your hairline at the temples. From the limited photos that you have posted, your hair looks in general to have good density and calibre. 

It ultimately comes down to how you feel. If you can avoid the necessity of a transplant, then I would suggest that you do that. You are 28, not on preventative medication. Your family history would seem to suggest that you shouldn't progress too far on the norwood scale, but who knows. You may experience more loss in the future. Then you may feel the need to have a subsequent surgery and so forth. All of these factors should be important considerations in you decision making.

That being said, after you have conducted your research, spoke with Drs, patients, got professional opinions and advice from ethical physicians, if it is your choice to proceed with surgery, then you could be a good candidate and achieve an impressive result. This is without having had the opportunity to see you're donor.

If I was you, would I be considering a transplant? On a personal level no. But that isn't particularly helpful. I would have loved to be in your position at 28. But everything is relative and I can appreciate the impact that this could potentially be having on your confidence.

Whilst shock loss can always be an issue and should be understood, if you have the hairline filled at the temples, much of the area that will be grafted appears as though it currently has no hair, so shock loss should not be a concern there. But your physician will obviously have to meet and blend with your current hairline, this would mean that some grafts would be between current hair and you may experience shock loss in these areas.

I personally had a very different situation to yourself, much more advanced loss. I experienced significant shock loss and months 2-3 were not the most enjoyable. Having said that, by month 4 I was well on my way with a smile on my face.

Its great that you are doing your due diligence. Don't rush, continue to question and I wish you the best of luck.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Good post by “Raphael”.  Most of us would have been thrilled to have that much hair at 28.  My recession leveled out in my mid-30’s and I’m glad I waited for surgery.  Everyone is different but I hope your family history and genetics prevail.  Start documenting your hair loss with similar angle photos quarterly.  Wait a couple years and see how much if any hair loss occurs. Start a personal hair transplant savings account so you will have a decent amount of money saved just in case you decide to have surgery....down the road.   Good luck. Thanks for the pictures.

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators

I can see why it woupd be frustrating, but a well executed hair style would fix this minor recession. Definitely not worth goung through surgery IMO.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Your welcome brother. That is what this community is all about.

Always a pleasure.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• 1 month later...

High risk to have surgery at this stage.  Ive been in similar shoe before.  Transplanting into native hair can lead to permanent shockloss and extra scarring needing repairs.  Id agree with Folks that posted above, wait this out and see how you progress.  Right now it is too early to be in the surgical chair.  Best of luck with everything