What norwood am I destined for? (opinions)

I'm 24, and I'm currently a NW2-2.5 as far as my hairline goes, however, I seem to have a thinning pattern of NW6+ in my crown if I throw a light overhead. 

I've taken Finasteride for ~2 years now (initial signs of hair loss appeared 3-3.5 years ago), though I have yet to notice any difference. And until recently, I hadn't paid too much attention to my crown, but according to photographs it's also appeared thin over the last few years in adequate lighting. (Pictures attached)

I haven't gotten a whole lot of feedback in regards to hair loss, so I'm curious to what you guys think.

-Being 24 with this pattern(and we'll say a NW2.5 in the front) is a hair transplant a viable idea? What do you think the chances are of my nw being 6+?

-Should I maintain Fin regardless of two years showed no improvement?

IMG-dry.thumb.JPG.cb44364b790751e6ac8737d8dc2fda62.JPG

IMG-wet.thumb.JPG.f1113dc9003cd05ceb203829f0aa199d.JPG

505655414_IMG-dry(2).thumb.JPG.a1678b9f90896f2e8a2ecb1c23c51662.JPG

Edited by Kvn
Adjusted title

Hi dude

My opinion for your first question....an emphatic NO! at least not at this point. Your hair in the crown area looks totally fine for your age in my opinion, save your grafts and money for any need down the road. Try out using hair fibers for now if you want to add a little coverage and volume.

For your second question regarding Fin, I’m no fan of Fin but if you’ve been on it for 2-years it may be helping you keep the hair and slowing down the miniaturized process.

Well, my hairline's slowly heading towards 3 territory, so I'm considering it for that. However, I've posted one other time (on hairlosstalk) and the unanimous opinion was that I had a nw7 pattern. Definitely appreciate the feedback so far though.

Kvn,

While you may not notice an increase in hair density in your crown, as long as it is not getting thinner, then you are stabilizing which is a good thing...one thing is for certain, if you get off of finasteride, your crown loss will get worse.

Yes, I can see a Norwood 6-7 pattern within the areas of demarcation of hair diffusion in the crown...one of the best barometers is family history....are there class 6s or 7s in the older men on either side, maternal or paternal?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

3 minutes ago, gillenator said:

Kvn,

While you may not notice an increase in hair density in your crown, as long as it is not getting thinner, then you are stabilizing which is a good thing...one thing is for certain, if you get off of finasteride, your crown loss will get worse.

Yes, I can see a Norwood 6-7 pattern within the areas of demarcation of hair diffusion in the crown...one of the best barometers is family history....are there class 6s or 7s in the older men on either side, maternal or paternal?

Gill,

To my knowledge both my father and grandfather were mostly bald, so I’d assume they were at least class 5/6. And there aren’t any indications of significant hair loss on the maternal side

It seems that your hair is rather short and the contrast between the color of the hair and the color of the skin is not helping.  Not sure about Finasteride.  You are in a better position to answer that.  Let me explain.  Why did you decide to start the med? Were you thinning?  Who put you on it?  If you were not thinning and started the med, the question then becomes what loss would you have had - had you not started the med. If you were not supposed to lose any hair in the interim, not sure why you started in the first place.

Considering your history, I think being on Finasteride is the best thing you ever did.  I would also encourage you to consider Rogaine, Laser, PRP.  All of these modalities work in different ways and are thus synergistic.  

Let me ask you.  If you were to stay the way you are for the rest of your life, would that be OK? Deciding on meds is huge.  It is a big commitment. If you eventually stop them, not only do you lose the benefit, you lose the money you invested.  The question then becomes, what loss will I have.  Given your history, it is likely you will lose.  How much? Who knows. 

Considering limitations of donor area, particularly on those that have advanced patterns, I again, believe you should be on medical therapy.  With generics and all that is now available, it is very affordable.  And, you will never achieve the density you currently seem to be enjoying just by transplants alone.

• Administrators

It's hard to say, what is your family history? I can see miniaturization although not that much. I think if you look at my journey, I had similar hair loss level in the crown at your age. It may be possible that you are destined for Norwood 6 only time will tell.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, LaserCap said:

It seems that your hair is rather short and the contrast between the color of the hair and the color of the skin is not helping.  Not sure about Finasteride.  You are in a better position to answer that.  Let me explain.  Why did you decide to start the med? Were you thinning?  Who put you on it?  If you were not thinning and started the med, the question then becomes what loss would you have had - had you not started the med. If you were not supposed to lose any hair in the interim, not sure why you started in the first place.

Considering your history, I think being on Finasteride is the best thing you ever did.  I would also encourage you to consider Rogaine, Laser, PRP.  All of these modalities work in different ways and are thus synergistic.  

Let me ask you.  If you were to stay the way you are for the rest of your life, would that be OK? Deciding on meds is huge.  It is a big commitment. If you eventually stop them, not only do you lose the benefit, you lose the money you invested.  The question then becomes, what loss will I have.  Given your history, it is likely you will lose.  How much? Who knows. 

Considering limitations of donor area, particularly on those that have advanced patterns, I again, believe you should be on medical therapy.  With generics and all that is now available, it is very affordable.  And, you will never achieve the density you currently seem to be enjoying just by transplants alone.

I started fin in 2017 due to noticing initial temple recession. If I could stay the way I am now? Probably, thought the thinning of the crown being apparent bothers me nonetheless. I’ll probably attempt to maintain fin for the time being. 

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

It's hard to say, what is your family history? I can see miniaturization although not that much. I think if you look at my journey, I had similar hair loss level in the crown at your age. It may be possible that you are destined for Norwood 6 only time will tell.

No signs of hair loss on the maternal side, probable nw6+ on the fathers side based on what I’ve heard. The early crown loss is what worries me the most, but I’m wondering if the fact that I haven’t seen any improvement with fin means the loss is going to continue while on the drug. And if upping meds isn’t out of the question. 

• Administrators

I think you should always prepare for the worst case scenario, showing signs of crown loss at a young age almost always means extensive baldness in the future. Now, this isn't 100% but it's highly probable. Honestly, most don't see regrowth on treatment, medication is meant to stop further progression not regrow hair. The only real way to regrow hair is through surgery.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I think you should always prepare for the worst case scenario, showing signs of crown loss at a young age almost always means extensive baldness in the future. Now, this isn't 100% but it's highly probable. Honestly, most don't see regrowth on treatment, medication is meant to stop further progression not regrow hair. The only real way to regrow hair is through surgery.

plan for the worst, hope for the best? 

there's definitely some relevance in that, though I'm hoping for the best-of-the-worst at this point. i doubt that pattern is there by mistake. i checked out your journey as well, you did have a partially similar patterm (at least from the looks of it) as my scalp seems fairly thin compared to the sides of my head. I think my pattern may descend deeper into the rear portion of my head though. 

regardless, I've made up my mind that I would exhaust the option of a hair transplant before entirely giving up. not that any of us want to accept that as an option, but it is a risk i can accept without crippling myself financially.

thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Kvn

I agree with Melvin that finasteride does not regrow hair in most of us but if it can stabilize more loss in the future...that's priceless IMHO.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY