Does PRP Stop Hair Loss

• Administrators

Have any of you guys tried PRP? If so what did you guys think was it effective?

Does PRP Stop Hair Loss

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I hit up a clinic in Tampa for PRP about a year and a half ago, though I probably can't provide any great insight though as I stopped after 4-5 sessions. I couldn't see any sort of discernible improvement as far as regrowth goes so the money just wasn't worth it in my book. 

The physiology of hair and hair loss is pretty new to me, but I'm also potentially a poor responder to finasteride, so maybe there's a connection there? I was a nw2 around the time I'd done PRP and I'd already been on finasteride for about a year, but through both treatments I've continued to thin out at the same speed and progressed to a nw2.5 or so now and heading into 3 territory. 🤔

Well, you guys are in luck. Back in early November I received a PRP+Acell treatment from Dr. Arocha during hid visit to Dallas. That puts me around the five month mark.

Some important things to note: I had started on Minoxidil about three months prior and was just exiting the crazy shedding phase. Hair was probably at an all time low for multiple reasons. I've been on Fin for three years. Around December or so I started working in dermastamping as well since my research indicated it was very synergistic with the mechanism of PRP along with the Minoxidil. I declined at that time to try LLLT as well.

By three months I definitely noticed that I was no longer seeing my scalp in harsh light, even in the weakest areas. I also noticed that the quality of my hair in general seemed better and my shedding was reduced.

Lastly, and perhaps most noticeable, is my hairline has crept down just shy of half an inch and has gradually filled in. It's not bulletproof by any means, but I continue to see new growth. Many of these new hairs are not as strong and thick as I would like, but there is still time yet for them to get there considering where they started. I've taken note that a number of the hairs shedding in the shower are miniaturized to the point of invisibility on one end and at the root have thickened considerably and almost look like they were dipped in ink. They're not all like this, but I've definitely seen enough to feel encouraged that some of my existing hair is being salvaged.

A couple of additional notes: Dr. Around said his treatments needed a refresh every 12 months, maybe 6 depending on the situation. I need to schedule a check-in to see what his thoughts are on my current progress.

Now, for those who are about to jump in and say I can't single out PRP as the cause of my success...you're right. Dr. Arocha was very candid that the PRP was just going to be one component of the treatment and I suspect that is true. I'm waiting until about twelve months post treatment to determine "final" results and see if I notice strengthening of the newer hair within that timeframe. If I didn't grow any additional hair and just saw some thickening in the existing regrowth, I think that could potentially add up to a substantial improvement. For me, that will help determine whether it was "worth it." 

Questions welcome.

Yes, he's advocated for it a few times. However, I wanted to defer incorporating it right at the outset for budgetary reasons and to give myself a chance to read up more on its interactions with PRP since I had previously dismissed lasers as hokum.

I've seen enough to believe that it can have a modest benefit by itself, but I am told that some of the mechanisms compliment PRP very well and vice versa. I think with the inclusion of the dermastamping that might kick things up a notch.

Lasercap had a money back guarantee for twelve months after purchase, and that's actually plenty of time to determine whether or not the lasers have had any benefit, so depending on how my check in with the doctor goes and when he feels I might warrant my next PRP treatment (he had indicated it could be 6-12 months at the outset and we are closing on six) it may be time to add that. I certainly think there is a strong lack of anecdotal patient accounts on the forums so if nothing else the experiment might benefit the community in that respect.

• Administrators

Can you post some pictures?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I figured someone would ask. My records in this regard aren't as good as I'd like because I've been through hell this last year, but I do have a few photos of varying quality I will try to get uploaded later. I apologize in advance for lack of quality/consistency between photos. I'll also try to take a couple today to illustrate the current progress.

• Administrators

I ask because I'm considering PRP myself.

View my thread

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I ask because I'm considering PRP myself.

Okay, so again, please forgive inconsistencies in the images here. Working with what little I have. The "current" photos were snapped today. The hairline comparison is actually about the same. There is no concealer in my hair in any of these photos.

898880387_Hairlinepre.PNG.d22f25f21287d856e440b1be384da336.PNG

Hair bare bones. This was somewhere around July. Hair is combed back with zero product. Notice the appearance of the hairline if you can.

August.PNG.6c7a2c506ad1fc5f516c1833ea14a415.PNG

Top down from August. There is some leave in conditioner but otherwise nothing in my hair. Note thinness in the front and the temples. Those hairs were very short and scraggly to boot. The crown is not too visible here due to length and angle which I apologize for. Wouldn't start Minoxidil for a couple of weeks.

1011635712_HairlineAugust.PNG.e96d52ee2305458be4f4c80b6d41112d.PNG

August Hairline. Note the scraggly looking thinness in the hairline and temple areas. These are the "shaded" looking areas in the top down shot from above. 

Current2.PNG.62942e74b6c083a5f35e5bb2d53dc08c.PNG

Top down from today. Same room, under similar lighting. Not quite the exact spot. Leave in conditioner here as well. The hair stands up a bit because it's a tad shorter than it was in the August photos, but ironically August was much more carefully combed to be as flattering to the frontal loss as possible.

Current.PNG.3ad92fbb11f1da3129c51e33a87b55e4.PNG

One more top down with a slightly better angle in the harshest light I could manage to find. Note you can see some thinness in the crown. I want to note something interesting here, which is that the majority of my PRP injections were concentrated in the front. I did receive some into the crown, but we agreed that round one needed to emphasize the front of the scalp. 

2004443040_Hairlinecurrent.PNG.b171dddcd12fdb6a581537fa90234d00.PNG

Current hairline. You can see that a lot of the gaps in the hairline have filled in, the hairs have thickened and grown out a bit, and the temples are coming in as well. What you can't really see in this picture are all of the small vellus hairs growing just below this. I mention them because a lot of the "new" growth you see in the hairline here looked similar when it started. Some of these may actually grow out as well, and some of these other hairs may have some maturity to come.

The best part of the comparison here can be seen with the difference in the temples/hairline since those photos are actually decent comparisons and it's also a place where non-surgical treatments tend to see "lesser" results. Hopefully this is helpful. I have a check-in with Dr. Arocha on April 8th to assess my progress and maybe get his thoughts on what the next move might be. I am inclined to think the crown might benefit from receiving some more targeted injections, but we will see what he thinks. If the clinic shares any of their before/after shots with me I'll see if I can get copies.

• Administrators

Looks impressive thanks for sharing. I think I'm gonna give PRP a shot and document it on YouTube and the forum. Fingers crossed 🤞

• Like 3

View my thread

4 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Okay, so again, please forgive inconsistencies in the images here. Working with what little I have. The "current" photos were snapped today. The hairline comparison is actually about the same. There is no concealer in my hair in any of these photos.

898880387_Hairlinepre.PNG.d22f25f21287d856e440b1be384da336.PNG

Hair bare bones. This was somewhere around July. Hair is combed back with zero product. Notice the appearance of the hairline if you can.

August.PNG.6c7a2c506ad1fc5f516c1833ea14a415.PNG

Top down from August. There is some leave in conditioner but otherwise nothing in my hair. Note thinness in the front and the temples. Those hairs were very short and scraggly to boot. The crown is not too visible here due to length and angle which I apologize for. Wouldn't start Minoxidil for a couple of weeks.

1011635712_HairlineAugust.PNG.e96d52ee2305458be4f4c80b6d41112d.PNG

August Hairline. Note the scraggly looking thinness in the hairline and temple areas. These are the "shaded" looking areas in the top down shot from above. 

Current2.PNG.62942e74b6c083a5f35e5bb2d53dc08c.PNG

Top down from today. Same room, under similar lighting. Not quite the exact spot. Leave in conditioner here as well. The hair stands up a bit because it's a tad shorter than it was in the August photos, but ironically August was much more carefully combed to be as flattering to the frontal loss as possible.

Current.PNG.3ad92fbb11f1da3129c51e33a87b55e4.PNG

One more top down with a slightly better angle in the harshest light I could manage to find. Note you can see some thinness in the crown. I want to note something interesting here, which is that the majority of my PRP injections were concentrated in the front. I did receive some into the crown, but we agreed that round one needed to emphasize the front of the scalp. 

2004443040_Hairlinecurrent.PNG.b171dddcd12fdb6a581537fa90234d00.PNG

Current hairline. You can see that a lot of the gaps in the hairline have filled in, the hairs have thickened and grown out a bit, and the temples are coming in as well. What you can't really see in this picture are all of the small vellus hairs growing just below this. I mention them because a lot of the "new" growth you see in the hairline here looked similar when it started. Some of these may actually grow out as well, and some of these other hairs may have some maturity to come.

The best part of the comparison here can be seen with the difference in the temples/hairline since those photos are actually decent comparisons and it's also a place where non-surgical treatments tend to see "lesser" results. Hopefully this is helpful. I have a check-in with Dr. Arocha on April 8th to assess my progress and maybe get his thoughts on what the next move might be. I am inclined to think the crown might benefit from receiving some more targeted injections, but we will see what he thinks. If the clinic shares any of their before/after shots with me I'll see if I can get copies.

Looks great but what other treatments are you on and did u start them around the same time?

7 hours ago, jj51702 said:

Looks great but what other treatments are you on and did u start them around the same time?

I started on Minoxidil three or four months prior to the PRP. I've been on Finasteride 1mg for three years. I started dermastamping with 1.5-2 mm needles once a week around the same time as the PRP. I have been using Nizoral 1% three times a week as well.

Dr. Arocha indicated that Minoxidil, PRP, and LLLT had mechanisms that would enhance one another when used in conjunction. I haven't personally tried the LLLT yet but it's in consideration.

If you're going to try PRP and add nothing else to the mix, try the dermastamping. There are a number of studies indicating that PRP is beneficial for wound regeneration and recovery in addition to hair growth. Microneedling creates superficial damage on the scalp to essentially prompt regeneration and repair functions in your body that can actually have positive effects on hair follicles (RE: hair growth). So, in theory, the dermastaming is regularly acting as a catalyst prompting the growth factors you received from PRP to do work rather than simply wait around to let your body regulate that on its own. From what I've read, LLLT may have similar, albeit lesser effects on wound regeneration, so a solid laser device MAY add to that effect. Again, I haven't tested that for myself yet.

10 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Looks impressive thanks for sharing. I think I'm gonna give PRP a shot and document it on YouTube and the forum. Fingers crossed 🤞

The only piece of advice I have for you here is to do a bit of research specifically on PRP results. The process is apparently not standardized across the board so not everyone does it the same way. Much like transplants, it's best to use a doctor who has some decent results in their portfolio so you know you're covered on that end of things. That doesn't guarantee you're a good responder, but you'll at least know it wasn't because the doctor didn't know what they were doing. 

Totally agree.  Some use very little per time, more frequently, and some use a lot more, less frequently.  Many doctors are coming into the arena not really knowing what exactly to do.  Those will typically fail.  Where are they getting their info?  Probably from the supplier.  And there are many.  Give them a year to confirm that their work did not produce results and they'll be out of the picture.  Unfortunately it is the patient that suffers in the end.  But this does bring a point.  For those that know what they are doing.....Is it their responsibility to teach others?  Is it such a secret that no one wants to share for the sake of making more money?  Perhaps.  You would think that the ISHRS would get involved and concentrate a day or two on this specific subject.  What works, what doesn't. We'll see.

11 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Good Luck Melvin ! Dr Bhatti also gave me a PRP treatment mid-way during my FUE surgery on 18th march ( it was spreaded around crown area) 

based on my research, it acts as a " Bonus" a " booster" for age group under 40 if taken in conjunction with FInastride, LLLT helmet, minoxidil, Biotin and a Hair transplant.

I plan to take more PRP treatments myself  - 3 or 4 more at least over the next 15 months to see for myself if its worthy or not. 

I wouldn't recommend more than once, maybe twice a week tops if you are using 1.5 mm+ or you're probably not giving your scalp enough time to recover, which is important. It's the healing and not the wounding itself that is beneficial.

On 3/27/2019 at 11:07 AM, Mycroft said:

I wouldn't recommend more than once, maybe twice a week tops if you are using 1.5 mm+ or you're probably not giving your scalp enough time to recover, which is important. It's the healing and not the wounding itself that is beneficial.

Agreed for 1.5 mm !  You were talking about dermarolling though, not PRP right ?

I think PRP is good 4 times a year, Hard to find a good price in Canada (1000 $ min per session which seems like a rip off in today's world for a 15 min job using a centrifuge system which is widely available) , 250$ per session is my wishful price :) and I will take as many as 4-6 per year continuously to boost my  HT results that was recently done by Dr Bhatti. 

I've contacted many PRP clinics in Toronto to see if they offer me a good quote as a regular long term customer . Some are offering 50% off discount in this season for Eclipse PRP, so 500 $ per session is not bad 

In short, I want to test PRP for myself in the long run ( 2 -3 years )  to find out if some good thick results are achievable or not

Edited by HLPToronto

7 hours ago, HLPToronto said:

Agreed for 1.5 mm !  You were talking about dermarolling though, not PRP right ?

I think PRP is good 4 times a year, Hard to find a good price in Canada (1000 $ min per session which seems like a rip off in today's world for a 15 min job using a centrifuge system which is widely available) , 250$ per session is my wishful price :) and I will take as many as 4-6 per year continuously to boost my  HT results that was recently done by Dr Bhatti. 

I've contacted many PRP clinics in Toronto to see if they offer me a good quote as a regular long term customer . Some are offering 50% off discount in this season for Eclipse PRP, so 500 $ per session is not bad 

In short, I want to test PRP for myself in the long run ( 2 -3 years )  to find out if some good thick results are achievable or not

Yes, I was talking about the dermarolling. At 2 mm it takes my scalp a few days to look and feel like it is back to normal, so I think at most I could try pushing it to twice a week, though even that might be too much.

Even the frequency of PRP seems to vary wildly depending on the doctor you talk to. Some will say four times a year. Some say once a month. Dr. Arocha said refinements in the technique mean it is only necessary every 6-12 months depending on patient response. I've also seen people advocate for 3-4 treatments over the span of a few months to jumpstart with annual maintenance treatments thereafter.

Again, that's why I'd encourage anyone considering PRP to do extensive research on a given doctor's results and consult with a few of them to see what they'd recommend for you. I'd also recommend checking in with your doctor every few months to see if their opinion has changed based on progress. I'm actually checking in a little later than I'd planned, but I've been a bit busy.

4 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Yes, I was talking about the dermarolling. At 2 mm it takes my scalp a few days to look and feel like it is back to normal, so I think at most I could try pushing it to twice a week, though even that might be too much.

Even the frequency of PRP seems to vary wildly depending on the doctor you talk to. Some will say four times a year. Some say once a month. Dr. Arocha said refinements in the technique mean it is only necessary every 6-12 months depending on patient response. I've also seen people advocate for 3-4 treatments over the span of a few months to jumpstart with annual maintenance treatments thereafter.

Again, that's why I'd encourage anyone considering PRP to do extensive research on a given doctor's results and consult with a few of them to see what they'd recommend for you. I'd also recommend checking in with your doctor every few months to see if their opinion has changed based on progress. I'm actually checking in a little later than I'd planned, but I've been a bit busy.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with 2 mm Dermaroller, quite helpful as I was doubtful about  how many times per week is good. Makes total sense. 

I will start with 1 mm , then 1.5 , then  2 mm eventually once a week only 

PRP 4-6 sessions i will plan for 2019 alone as its my HT year, so roots are net new and should be provided as much nourishment, rich blood supply as possible in the early days. 

I heard combination of LLLT helmet, PRP and Dermrolling with Minoxidil  is very effective for most cases.  

I plan on buying I restore laser helmet -  never thought we would need these toys while growing up but here we are  :) 

https://www.google.com/searchq=laser+helmet+best+irestore&rlz=1C1SQJL_enCA830CA830&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZzO_5m6fhAhVC6IMKHc_gAUIQ_AUIDygC&biw=1280&bih=610#imgrc=glMuomKUsYp-7M:

Would have been great to separate the treatments so their effects were isolated, but either way, for a result that is not a transplant, this is one of the biggest changes I've seen.  

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

18 hours ago, Spanker said:

Would have been great to separate the treatments so their effects were isolated, but either way, for a result that is not a transplant, this is one of the biggest changes I've seen.  

Yeah, from a scientific standpoint it was not ideal, but at the time my before pictures were taken things had gotten pretty bad and I wasn't sure I could afford to wait months to run more thorough experiments. If budget had allowed for it I might have thrown in the laser as well, but I'm grateful that waiting will allow me to do a more thorough evaluation if I choose to incorporate that.

Very pleased with my results at the moment. Still considering some surgical revisions in the hairline but I wanted to give this regimen 12-16 months to see how the results mature and progress. I am still seeing new sprouts at the hairline and it is entirely possible that they may turn terminal.

• 3 weeks later...

Prp works but the outcome is person dependent .

In my experience , it stopped hair shedding  and improve hair quality .

I rarely noticed new growth .

I used it alone ( 3 times first year  and then once a year for maintenance ) or twice a year with Acell.

I activated my prp by performing dermabrasion .

I encourage patient to combine it with laser cap  and  Help hair whey protein  or minoxidil with help hair whey protein .

• Like 1

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

On 3/26/2019 at 9:13 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I have tried everything - Laser Cap/Hair Vitamin/Scalp Elixir/Fin and now onto Lipogaine.

I really want to give PRP a try now but the problem is it's minumum 2400.00 dollars for 3 treatments. With Acell the price goes upto 5000.00.

Very confused as to do it or not? Are there any cheaper places where we can do it, the procedure it straightforward, not sure why it's 800 per visit. I have called multiple places in Houston.