Do I really have to wait one month prior to exercising?

Howdy everybody,

I recently got a hair transplant in Turkey two weeks ago and I was depressed when the doctor said I can't workout for a month after doing an FUE transplant. I've been looking around and I've seen some docs say you can return back to full physical activity in 10 days, some say two weeks, and then some say one month. Can someone tell me why? Doesn't it only take 3 full days for your implanted grafts to permanent in your recipient area? Please give me some insight on this and I appreciate y'alls responses :)

7 minutes ago, graftsfordays said:

Howdy everybody,

I recently got a hair transplant in Turkey two weeks ago and I was depressed when the doctor said I can't workout for a month after doing an FUE transplant. I've been looking around and I've seen some docs say you can return back to full physical activity in 10 days, some say two weeks, and then some say one month. Can someone tell me why? Doesn't it only take 3 full days for your implanted grafts to permanent in your recipient area? Please give me some insight on this and I appreciate y'alls responses :)

I went back into the gym after 3-weeks to start up again but with light weight lifting.

I believe it’s because of any perspiration that happens when working out that may be deterimental to the grafts at that early stage.

it takes longer than 3 days for your grafts to be secure or permanently healed in your recipient zone - a minimum of 10-12 days from most doctor's post-op instructions or literature I've read - and the reason most docs tell you to wait a month after your procedure before your exercise (vigorously) is so you can properly heal from the trauma to your scalp, in an attempt to give you the optimal conditions for a successful result - could you technically exercise after 2 weeks, probably yes, I would say just don't overdo it 

There will always be a variance in opinions regarding physical activity post-op.

Part of the concern is the increase of blood pressure at the base of the grafts where they seat in the scalp and there is significant healing taking place.  Yes grafts may be secure and not pop out but the blood supply is critical to the hair follicles and many severed blood vessels that need to heal.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

I started working out at 2 weeks, that said always follow your clinics instructions.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.