Are Rahal results inconsistent?

Kvn

I'd recently begun exploring HT options myself and considered Rahal one of my top choices. However, since hopping on this forum a few days ago I've seen mostly negative feedback in regards to his results. That, and a lot of caution towards getting a FUE through his clinic. What gives? And can anyone shoot me some context in regards to those claims? 

I'm about a NW2.5-3, and I'd my first HT to really count.

Hi Kvn, 

There is not a single reputed HT surgeon in this world whose results are consistent ( Dr. Rahal Included).

Reason: There are so many  variables that act as a huge dependency for each patient's results to be successful such as:

• Hair/Graft quality and how many doubles, triples, quads you naturally are gifted with
  • Are you willing to religiously take all meds, Finas, Rogaine, Dermarolling, exercise, strict diet , Yoga and .............. so on
  • Your body's immunity to recover from any trauma, natural health and recovery factors
  • Your stress levels, hormones, genetic condition , sleep patterns
  • your luck with the surgery - like any surgery, its always  the " luck factor" that's extremely important for a great result. also Note: 70% is doctors skills but 30% is patients own drive over the next few years to achieve the best results. some would say its 60/40 ratio . No doctor is a magician who will give you the best result within a single day operating on it, its your head, hair, hard work for life 
  • Like 4

There have been a few iffy cases but he's still considered one of the top hairline surgeons by most people who have done a lot of research. I would search his name by "topic" on this forum and look at a large sample size of results so you can decide for yourself.

@hairlossPA

not true.  that is an incorrect generalization. Dr Rahal will always aim to transplant over 50 grafts/cm if and when possible.  Meaning that donor supply, age, etc are factored in. 

In some cases,  the density will be less if the goal is to get more coverage over a larger area and not just density. The main reason is donor density is limited and if overall lifetime donor supply is low, yet patient wants to and can benefit from facial framing, then lower density maybe used. 

Edited by Dr. Rahal
  • Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, Dr. Rahal said:

@hairlossPA

not true.  that is an incorrect generalization. Dr Rahal will always aim to transplant over 50 grafts/cm if and when possible.  Meaning that donor supply, age, etc are factored in. 

In some cases,  the density will be less if the goal is to get more coverage over a larger area and not just density. The main reason is donor density is limited and if overall lifetime donor supply is low, yet patient wants to and can benefit from facial framing, then lower density maybe used. 

Thanks for the explanation and clarification Tara. 

Guys, no surgeon is perfect, but Dr. Rahal has been an elite surgeon for well over a decade. His resume and track record speaks for itself.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Dr. Rahal said:

@hairlossPA

thanks for clarifying! again- just something I read on here.

I would certainly agree that Rahal is a top clinic and has many outstanding results. His team utilises the latest technology and techniques and  has a long track record of  many successes. However, like any clinic there will be some who are not satisfied with their results. 

One issue that I see that may be contributing to this recent questioning of dr Rahal,  is that the Clinic only posts the results of their TOP and BEST looking patients. It seems to be cherry picked to only display the best of the best and usually they are cases with minimal Norwoods and high calibre hair structure.  

This may be misleading to some patients who may expect those stellar results when in fact based on their own situation and physiology may never be obtainable regardless of who the surgeon is. That does not mean Rahal will not do the best he can for you. I know he has even turned down potential patients as he knew a decent result would not be feasible. 

If you continue researching I am sure you will come to the same conclusion that i did. Rahal is a top Clinic who does great work and stands behind it as well. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, orange_j said:

One issue that I see that may be contributing to this recent questioning of dr Rahal,  is that the Clinic only posts the results of their TOP and BEST looking patients. It seems to be cherry picked to only display the best of the best and usually they are cases with minimal Norwoods and high calibre hair structure.  

This may be misleading to some patients who may expect those stellar results when in fact based on their own situation and physiology may never be obtainable regardless of who the surgeon is. That does not mean Rahal will not do the best he can for you. I know he has even turned down potential patients as he knew a decent result would not be feasible. 

Every clinic will put out their best work, as they should that is the logical thing to do. Obviously, if you are a bald Norwood 6 your result will not be the same as a Norwood 2 with minor recession. Every single hair transplant clinic cherry pick their best results. This is why forums like this one are so important, because you see unfiltered uncensored raw results. If you search Dr. Rahal's name on the forum you will see some outstanding results that are not cherry picked at all.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 3/15/2019 at 2:47 PM, hairlossPA said:

i’ve recently read from someone on this forum that Rahal has decreased his density over the years. not sure how that plays into his recent results... something about going from ~50grafts/cm2 to 30-35

I might have mentioned this and read it from one of his (old?) reps on another forum, however the numbers suggested were from up to 70 in the past, and presently around 45-55 due to potential for growth and safety issues beyond this, but not 30-35.

Keep in mind that consistency are not the same as perfection. In my opinion, his results are quite consistently  not. However, no surgeon that’s 1000. There are always cases of less than optimal growth and potential problems that can occur. That’s why patients have to sign a disclosure agreement before they enter into surgery. It is an elective procedure that has a high rate of success in the right surgical hands.   Dr. Rahal  has been amongst the best for over 10 years in my opinion and if something has changed, then I would certainly like to know so we can investigate it. However, I have not seen many people complain about the results and post their full experience with Photos. I’ve heard couple people complain recently that they aren’t happy like Bman.  However, I do encourage these people to contact the surgeon to discuss these concerns and if they choose to share their experience and photos on this forum which they are welcome to, they will need to allow the doctor to share his side of the story along with photos… As long as no identifying information is shown. 

Best,

Bill