Dr. Diep Q&A Interview Video Part 1

• Administrators

Hey Guys,

I drove out to San Jose, this weekend to interview Dr. Diep, I had the chance to pick his brain on some important questions that a lot of you may have. Check out the video. Keep in mind this is part 1 of a three video series.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Two of the most frequent questions I see a lot of us asking in regards to threads relating to Dr Diep are 1. what are his reasonings behind the size of the FUE punch he uses during extraction and how that leaves the donor area post surgery and more recently 2. why he has been extracting from just one side of the head as opposed to a more uniform approach that seems to be more industry standard... did you ask specifically about these things?

Edited by Kiwi Guy

• Administrators

No, I didn’t ask those specific questions. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I wish you did he seems to get some amazing results but for those of us trying to decide on which clinic/ surgeon to go with it would've been great if you had broached those questions so he could lend some explanation to those two particular subjects, especially with having as good of a rapport as you seem to have with him. Clarity with things as important as what I mentioned above could mean the difference between him receiving another few patients or not. Oh well, it is what it is.

• Administrators

To be honest, he’s already replied to those questions several times. The punch size is dependent on the hair shaft diameter. He feels he gets better quality grafts using a larger punch on individuals with thick hair. 

The donor extraction from one side is for donor management. 

A lot has been made and honestly blown way out of proportion. The video was intended for a larger broader audience that want to know about hair restoration in general and not necessarily intricacies and specifics.

View my thread

Ok, thanks for the explanation Melvin, you say he's replied to those questions several times, I didn't know that, could you direct me to the discussions/ threads/ youtube videos where he has replied to those questions? I'd like to know specifically if his use of a larger punch size also depletes the donor for future FUE's due to the scarring and transaction of surrounding hairs. If he manages to get the same amount of hairs from the donor as other top surgeons and yet uses a larger punch I would almost certainly go with him based on his results. I'm not trying to be critical of his work, just trying to figure out who to go with, still lol.

19 hours ago, Kiwi Guy said:

Ok, thanks for the explanation Melvin, you say he's replied to those questions several times, I didn't know that, could you direct me to the discussions/ threads/ youtube videos where he has replied to those questions? I'd like to know specifically if his use of a larger punch size also depletes the donor for future FUE's due to the scarring and transaction of surrounding hairs. If he manages to get the same amount of hairs from the donor as other top surgeons and yet uses a larger punch I would almost certainly go with him based on his results. I'm not trying to be critical of his work, just trying to figure out who to go with, still lol.

I don’t think I’ve seen where those concerns about donor management were answered by Dr Diep, but what Melvin said does make sense.

Recently, the Doctor has posted a video on his YouTube channel showing a patients donor area shaven, I’m willing to wager he’s read the concerns on this forum of his recent patient and others and this is his rebuttal to any concerns.

Edited by CosmoKramer

10 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

I don’t think I’ve seen where those concerns about donor management were answered by Dr Diep, but what Melvin said does make sense.

Recently, the Doctor has posted a video on his YouTube channel showing a patients donor area shaven, I’m willing to wager he’s read the concerns on this forum of his recent patient and others and this is his rebuttal to any concerns.

Thanks for this Cosmo, I bet at a 2 or 3 guard it wouldn't be noticeable on this patient. Things often get blown out of proportion when speaking about donor area's etc I've noticed.

You’re welcome! @Kiwi Guy

Yeah, I agree, with a bit of growth donor would look just fine. Agree as well with your second point about overblown concern...if there was a serious issue with Dr Dieps donor management then there should be lots of complaints from his past patients since he’s posted many patient videos, but nope haven’t seen any myself after a final result.

• Administrators

The answers came from Dr. Diep, but it was more his response to patients and they posted his response. It would be way too tedious to go and find the responses. But they were essentially the same thing I said.

Secondly, why would Dr. Diep ruin a donor area to the point where subsequent procedures are not possible? That would mean he’d shoot him self in the foot because he’d have no repeat customers. 

In terms of punch size, what happens is that one person will quote one study done by one doctor and now that’s gospel. I saw the same thing done with FUE, but guess what FUE has never been more popular. If it really didn’t work why would more and more surgeons offer it every year. The same can be said about Diep.

View my thread