(almost 25yo) What's the next step that I should best take?

Hello everyone, 

I've been lurking some time +-3 months here and thought it's better to start requesting help from experienced people around here. 

Now let's come to the topic. As the title states, I'm almost 25 years old(in June birthday). And I started to think about hair transplant. But I'm not sure if it's good idea.. 

So my hair has drastically changed in a couple of years. The most visible change happened +-6 months ago.. 

Let me give a short summary of hair state in my life:

- Born with big curly hair

IMG_20180513_130755_621.thumb.jpg.d64fc32bf01637c861bfab74b57b7c2d.jpg

- Kept sleek looking and dense hair (so no hair fall thoughts) until about September 2018... 

As you can see in the attachments. My hair changed in texture. I had used without any knowledge hair relaxer on my scalp. This was done 2 times. It gave me cool looking result. No more curly and different style options..

FB_IMG_1542694513150.jpg.e2a8f26f7a653152e02b28d80d009f95.jpg

Unfortunately it seems that by using that chemical poison, I've for triggered hair loss. It looked less great with time. It started to look like straw/hay, dry hair... And on top of that all those years since my birth I never did use any conditioner. Only shampoo until of course I started researching hair loss etc.

Now here comes the big part.... I used minoxidil for about 3 months. I didn't like using it. So I stopped using it. And of course, I shredded a lot...

It's been now about 6 months ago that I last used minoxidil. And the hair looks crap as you can see... 

15524199869249143660220106180209.thumb.jpg.e185c33905cdef9e0f67dfda4a72b9fe.jpg

This week, I started using zinc, biotin and saw palmetto. So maybe it will get better with time (2-3 months) later? 

Or am I just waiting for nothing, and just go with hair transplant and/or finastride? 

So sad to see ur hair thin out like that .. don’t waste anymore time n go on finsasteride .. the quick progression of ur hAirloss is the DHT is ravaging ur scalp right now .. if u don’t slow down dht u on ur way to a high norwood .. get on it n save ur crown .. u still have good donor hair characteristics .. but that frontal third of ur head is going to disappear in a few years .. 

• Like 1

Finasteride should be your first port of call. Your still young with clear noticeable, thinning/hairloss and the first aim should be to try and prevent any further loss and if you are a good responder, may even thicken up what you have at the front. Would probably stay on fin for a year and than evaluate where you are. Zinc, biotin and saw palmetto won't do much for male pattern baldness.

Edited by Fozzie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

So sad to see ur hair thin out like that .. don’t waste anymore time n go on finsasteride .. the quick progression of ur hAirloss is the DHT is ravaging ur scalp right now .. if u don’t slow down dht u on ur way to a high norwood .. get on it n save ur crown .. u still have good donor hair characteristics .. but that frontal third of ur head is going to disappear in a few years .. 

Thank you. I'll get derm appointment to hop on fin. It's sad for everyone. I wouldn't even wish it to my worst enemy... Hopefully hair cloning will solve it. 

4 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Finasteride should be your first port of call. Your still young with clear noticeable, thinning/hairloss and the first aim should be to try and prevent any further loss and if you are a good responder, may even thicken up what you have at the front. Would probably stay on fin for a year and than evaluate where you are.

True and I'm not too young anymore for fin I think. And dht seems to be high in theory if I check my beard haha.

I'm going to use it. Let's hope it gives me good results (but realistic of course). 

Edited by 24problemsbro
Typo

1 hour ago, 24problemsbro said:

So my hair has drastically changed in a couple of years. The most visible change happened +-6 months ago.. 

Kept sleek looking and dense hair (so no hair fall thoughts) until about September 2018... 

As you can see in the attachments. My hair changed in texture. I had used without any knowledge hair relaxer on my scalp. This was done 2 times. It gave me cool looking result. No more curly and different style options..

Unfortunately it seems that by using that chemical poison, I've for triggered hair loss.

Can you please explain this a bit further, because I don't really understand what happened. You started using something to flatten out your curly hair? And unknowingly that product contained something that triggered hairloss?

18 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

U actually catching ur hair loss at a good time . While ur hair is still thick .. finasteride works well on younger guys where the hair diameter haven’t shrank too much . 

That only gives me hope bro. I'll definitely post updates how it goes in the future. 

4 minutes ago, BjornBorg said:

Can you please explain this a bit further, because I don't really understand what happened. You started using something to flatten out your curly hair? And unknowingly that product contained something that triggered hairloss?

Indeed. Be it coincidence or not. I've used product for relaxing hair or better known as 'keratine' treatment but without usage of hair iron... I should've been smarter and not listen ly mom and some friends... The price I pay is now losing my youth and curls for 6 months of straight hair yuy... Anyway I'm going to try solve it instead of going in negative spiral. 

You are lucky to have that curly full hair bro, because if you ever go down the surgery root you will have a great donor area and curly hair is known to give a much better illusion of density than straight hair, so you will win this battle in the end as long as you stay on top of it, be strong and do what you need to do for it to slow down is the first step, like the other guys said, fin or dutasteride asap, also rogaine.

20 hours ago, PlzRespond said:

did you apply the relaxer to all of your hair? If so, are the other parts thinning too or only the hairline/front?

Indeed and it appears to be only on the front... So be it coincidence or (early) triggering of MPB by using it.. It is what it is.

5 hours ago, Kiwi Guy said:

You are lucky to have that curly full hair bro, because if you ever go down the surgery root you will have a great donor area and curly hair is known to give a much better illusion of density than straight hair, so you will win this battle in the end as long as you stay on top of it, be strong and do what you need to do for it to slow down is the first step, like the other guys said, fin or dutasteride asap, also rogaine.

Thx a lot bro. That's great to hear and thankfully my donor and sides seems to be strong/stable too.
Worst case scenario if fin doesn't do much, I'll still be able to get a relatively small HT and good results :)