FUE Scarring - Small Procedure

Hey guys,

If I had a small procedure of no more than 1000 grafts, probably in the 500-800 range, how noticeable would the scarring be in the donor area. I am going to have some hairline work done and would still like the option to buzz my hair to a #1 or #0 guard.

Mixed answers seem to always come up with the question of FUE donor scarring, but any input would help.

Thank you!

• Administrators

If you plan on shaving to a zero guard forget surgery altogether. Sounds like you must have a small amount of hair loss. Definitely not worth it IMO. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I do have a small amount of hairless. I am looking to have my hairline straightened. I sometimes fade my hair to a 0 guard, keeping some hair on the top.

I want to keep the procedure small and conservative in order to minimize the scarring. Does anyone have any pictures of patients with shaved donors?

If you want to continue fading your hair with a 0 guard, I really don't think you should consider a hair transplant. Depending on the size of the procedure and how high up you take the 0 guard, it might be possible to have the HT be undetectable to the average, naked eye - but by no means would I expect that. There is no such thing as a "scarless" procedure, so whatever you do will leave some sort of mark on your scalp. Would you be happy adapting to hairstyle with a 2 fade? If so, consider the HT. Otherwise, I think you need to decide what's more important - straightening out your hairline OR being able to fade with a 0 guard. It's highly unlikely you can do both. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Sure you can buzz it to a 1 guard. I've had 4,400 odd grafts FUE in total and this is me 10 days after having 840 . It is a 1 guard length. Punch size was 0.7 and 0.8. Yes the scarring is visible but frankly, its not that bad and only really noticeable to a trained eye. I normally keep it to a 3 at the back and that is definitely fine. 

IMG_6411.JPG

Yep, exactly......I can tell Baldrick has had FUE because I know what a recipient looks like after also having it done. However, to any other person, no one would ever know. Very glad I went with FUE and not FUT.

I had such a small procedure. Even though I do not sport my hair real short, maybe it still helps you making a decision. Scars are hardly visible, but (!) every person heals different. No one can predict how the scars will look like.

Edited by Gasthoerer

• Administrators
On 3/12/2019 at 12:27 PM, CuriousGeorgeee said:

I do have a small amount of hairless. I am looking to have my hairline straightened. I sometimes fade my hair to a 0 guard, keeping some hair on the top.

I want to keep the procedure small and conservative in order to minimize the scarring. Does anyone have any pictures of patients with shaved donors?

No one shaves their donor because they will see scars. There is no surgery that will allow you to shave to a zero and not see scars. You can get away with a #1 guard, but not a zero. Trust me, it's better you know the truth than get your hopes up and be severely disappointed.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

Here you go, here's a picture of a shaved donor with FUE scars. This is probably with a small punch like .08mm

shaved.jpg

• Thanks 1

View my thread

You could always look at getting scalp micropigmentation onto the scarring after you've healed to further hide the FUE dots if you really wanted to go to a zero guard. I don't know how effective it would be but it's a way of seen people camouflage the work they've had.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Kiwi Guy said:

You could always look at getting scalp micropigmentation onto the scarring after you've healed to further hide the FUE dots if you really wanted to go to a zero guard. I don't know how effective it would be but it's a way of seen people camouflage the work they've had.

This could work, but now he’d be getting FUE then smp to cover the scars. All of this for a tiny amount of hair loss. In my opinion, it’s just not worth it. If he needs less than a 1,000 grafts he’s got a full head of hair. 

• Like 1

View my thread

12 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

This could work, but now he’d be getting FUE then smp to cover the scars. All of this for a tiny amount of hair loss. In my opinion, it’s just not worth it. If he needs less than a 1,000 grafts he’s got a full head of hair. 

yeah this is true too... I'm learning from you guys that you really need to weigh up how much you actually require a hair transplant.

18 hours ago, Kiwi Guy said:

yeah this is true too... I'm learning from you guys that you really need to weigh up how much you actually require a hair transplant.

Yes - and not only that, but it's important to weigh every possible factor. There are pros and cons and risks to any medical procedure. A red flag for me is when I sense that someone is chasing "perfection", because that is unattainable and will most often result in disappointment. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

7 hours ago, pkipling said:

Yes - and not only that, but it's important to weigh every possible factor. There are pros and cons and risks to any medical procedure. A red flag for me is when I sense that someone is chasing "perfection", because that is unattainable and will most often result in disappointment. 

Good point, however I also feel like some of these clinics are to blame for that because they really do sell you on these near perfect transplants that seem to completely restore your hairline when in reality these results are very few and far between and the truth lies some where in the middle.

I don’t have a better picture of my donor area after 1,750 grafts were re-located in 2012 but I hope this picture helps.  Scarring is barely discernible. I’m sure the advice above in this thread from Melvin and others, is valuable information.  Cutting with a 1-guard may be the answer. This picture was taken two years after my first surgery (5,125 total grafts).

4730A267-7397-40D3-B46B-FF895D443366.jpeg

Edited by JohnCasper

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 11:32 PM, Kiwi Guy said:

Good point, however I also feel like some of these clinics are to blame for that because they really do sell you on these near perfect transplants that seem to completely restore your hairline when in reality these results are very few and far between and the truth lies some where in the middle.

I agree 100%. While ultimately I believe that there is a base level of due diligence that each individual gets to have before jumping into any big medical decision (as evidenced by the number of people who jump in blindly to a procedure they end up regretting), there is no doubt that there are a ton of clinics out there who mislead their patients and set them up for disappointment. Hence why forums like these are so valuable... 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

5000 FUE with 0.8 punch super close up.  Donor shaved 0 guard few days prior so this about a 1 guard.  Everyone is different with different donor charateristics and punch size is key.  I wouldn't go over 0.8 or 0.9m.  Only 1 hair dresser ever commented had i had a procedure as in normal life its even less noticeable and he only knew as he had a HT himself.   When i tell the rest they are impressed.

My donor is night and day though compared to having a FUT strip.   If you don't plan to have the option to keep your hair short though may not be an issue for some.  I love keeping sides and back short or buzzing all over.

image.jpg

Edited by BaldingBogger

5 hours ago, BaldingBogger said:

5000 FUE with 0.8 punch super close up.  Donor shaved 0 guard few days prior so this about a 1 guard.  Everyone is different with different donor charateristics and punch size is key.  I wouldn't go over 0.8 or 0.9m.  Only 1 hair dresser ever commented had i had a procedure as in normal life its even less noticeable and he only knew as he had a HT himself.   When i tell the rest they are impressed.

My donor is night and day though compared to having a FUT strip.   If you don't plan to have the option to keep your hair short though may not be an issue for some.  I love keeping sides and back short or buzzing all over.

image.jpg

Looks good. Which surgeon?