Do Hair Loss Remedies Actually Work?

• Administrators

I know most of you guys have tried home remedies, but have any of you guys used anything that has ever worked? I would love to hear the communities input.

Do Hair Loss Home Remedies Actually Work?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

In my experience, home remedies don't work. Although, onion juice has been shown to work for alopecia areata, it does nothing for genetic hair loss.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I’ve previously tried micro needling with a derma roller and believe it can help with increasing blood supply/circulation and possible generation or regeneration of hair follicles. I saw a few new hairs generated and growing to maturity in my temple area that was bare, and they are still there, but, it was too much of a hassle so I gave up on it.

I do use pure refined emu oil a few times a week to help with growth and inhibition of scalp DHT, there is some information online that it is beneficial for hair and skin and it’s healing and skin penetrative abilities.

Also take nettle root extract capsules instead of Saw Palmetto to inhibit DHT and naturally increases my free testosterone to give me a boost in the gym.

Just like to add to the my micro needling example above, I do believe wounding or wound healing can induce new cellar hair stem cells due to an accidental injury as a kid (a really really bad flesh burn on my arm from a metal clothing iron), long story short...never went to the doctor for the injury only hid it from family put gauze on it from drug store many times,  it took a long time for burn wound to heal as many layers of skin were damaged and constantly coming off and when it finally finally healed brand new hairs grew normally and like there was no sign of a burn or damage to my skin or scarring even to this day. This personal experience made me believe that there was something to that company Follica’s announcement back in 2008 and their experiments with wound healing to regrow hair since I’d experienced evidence of it personally and hoped they would be successful bringing their method to market but it’s now been 10-years since they made hair news and disappointing that they couldn’t get it to out there.

Edited by CosmoKramer

It depends upon the cause of hair loss. Home remedies are effective in some cases, but they don’t work if hair loss is due to genetic factors or irregular hormone levels. Onion juice & Aloe Vera helps to slow down the hair loss up to some level. Scalp massage with coconut oil is also a trusted remedy as it contains lauric acid that helps to bind the protein in hair & protect the roots. Antioxidants available in coconut oil are also beneficial forThe effectiveness of hair loss remedies depends on person to person and also on the way they are used.

• Administrators

@Sachin Kumar this will be my only warning, anymore promotional links and I will be Forced to suspend your posting privileges Indefinitely.

• Like 1

View my thread

• 4 weeks later...

If dermastamping qualifies I will piggyback off what Cosmo said. I have seen a number of impressive results from dermastamping in addition to using it myself, and I definitely think it works. As with all solutions some folks will respond better than others, but I think part of the reason there isn't more hype around it is because it takes time and consistency in addition to being uncomfortable.

Much like personal fitness, I feel like this trade-off turns most people off early on before they give it enough time to see results. Even on paper, it is a hard sell. The idea of stabbing yourself in the head repeatedly to promote hair growth is a little tough to swallow conceptually,

I have been very curious about peppermint oil. I have seen some research suggesting that it could be more effective than minoxidil in regrowing hair, but the data is far from conclusive. Fortunately, it's extremely cheap so I wouldn't lose much trying it out. I may experiment with it at some point without dropping any of my other treatments, but I think I'd like to run the LLLT experiment first.

I absolutely don't think home remedies are a replacement for medical grade solutions, but some of them may be beneficial as a secondary booster.