Second surgery growth time

I had a couple of thousand grafts to my front section a few years ago having previously had a transplant to the same area. At five, six and seven months post op I was convinced it had failed, but months eight and nine saw it burst into life and I ended up with a successful result. I'd say it's common to see slower growth sometimes in cases like yours and mine so hang in there, it should turn out ok.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

I agree and had similar experience...most docs will inform you that the same recipient area has a compromised blood supply from the scar tissue and severed blood vessels from the prior procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Just slower growth...the blood supply would have to be greatly compromised for grafts to not survive.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

11 hours ago, vikasgupta123 said:

You should consult an experienced dermatologits for detailed information about it rather then asking unprofessionals.

Dude you’ve been responding to quite a few posts with very misleading and stupid information. Do you have some kind of agenda? You will lead people in the wrong direction if you continue. 

• Haha 1

A reputable experienced HT surgeon would be the best source to ask about the blood supply.

Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...

Ist transplant 2011 - 2nd 2018.  For 4-5 months it seemed like nothing was happening.  I really thought I had wasted my money.  Since then everything has taken off.  In all honesty I cannot compare the growth rates between the 2 transplants.  Both times it seemed like nothing was happening and then it was just there, and I wasn't sitting there with a magnifying glass looking for every sprout.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

56 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Ist transplant 2011 - 2nd 2018.  For 4-5 months it seemed like nothing was happening.  I really thought I had wasted my money.  Since then everything has taken off.  In all honesty I cannot compare the growth rates between the 2 transplants.  Both times it seemed like nothing was happening and then it was just there, and I wasn't sitting there with a magnifying glass looking for every sprout.

Who did you surgery? 

Upsall

11 hours ago, Upshall said:

Who did you surgery? 

I didn't use the recommended doctors on here.  The first time in 2011 was Dr. Tim Love in OKC and the 2nd time in 2018 it was Dr. Junaid Syed at the Orlando Hair Clinic in Orlando.  I went the cheap route both times, and have no regrets.  I might post pictures at the one year mark 09/10/2019 if I think about it.  I am in the process of growing my hair out and changing hairstyle to go along with a full beard.  It is looking pretty good so far.  My interest in this site is quickly waning as I got what I was looking for, and I doubt that I will do anything else.  I have very little advice to offer here because guys are looking for answers to things I am not up on.  There are enough guys who know a lot more than I do so I just fade away.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

2 hours ago, Dazed said:

Upsall

I didn't use the recommended doctors on here.  The first time in 2011 was Dr. Tim Love in OKC and the 2nd time in 2018 it was Dr. Junaid Syed at the Orlando Hair Clinic in Orlando.  I went the cheap route both times, and have no regrets.  I might post pictures at the one year mark 09/10/2019 if I think about it.  I am in the process of growing my hair out and changing hairstyle to go along with a full beard.  It is looking pretty good so far.  My interest in this site is quickly waning as I got what I was looking for, and I doubt that I will do anything else.  I have very little advice to offer here because guys are looking for answers to things I am not up on.  There are enough guys who know a lot more than I do so I just fade away.

Congrats Dazed, that's the feeling we are all looking for

On 3/4/2019 at 7:28 AM, Pete-from-Farjo said:

I had a couple of thousand grafts to my front section a few years ago having previously had a transplant to the same area. At five, six and seven months post op I was convinced it had failed, but months eight and nine saw it burst into life and I ended up with a successful result. I'd say it's common to see slower growth sometimes in cases like yours and mine so hang in there, it should turn out ok.

Hi Pete

So did you have essentially no growth/sprouts up until month 8? Happen to have any pics you could share? Thanks!

12 hours ago, jj51702 said:

Hi Pete

So did you have essentially no growth/sprouts up until month 8? Happen to have any pics you could share? Thanks!

I wouldn't go as far as to say 'no growth', I'm sure there was some, but certainly not as much as I had experienced with previous procedures. I finally started noticing real growth at month eight. At month six and seven I was still heavily relying on sprays/fibres. By month nine and ten I just didn't need them. 

Think I've got some pics somewhere but I wasn't taking monthly ones so the late growth spurt can't be seen. All I have is immediate post op and the final result.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

From what I recall, your final result was pretty good right?

Gillenator

• 1 year later...

I went through a second procedure to increase the density of my hairline. 2000 grafts. 5 days shy of 6 months. Barely any growth. Wonder if anyone is experiencing slow growth with second procedure ?

I'm definitely experiencing slower growth on my third transplant. My first was a small transplant and I wasn't paying as close attention to regrowth times. My second transplant I'm not even kidding that I had about 95% sprouted by the end of my 4th month. Most of which was thick terminal hair by 5 months. I am a little more than a week shy of 5 months on my third transplant and have maybe 50% sprouted and 30% matured. I'm not worried but just interesting to see the difference between the growth rates. I also note that the least amount of growth so far is closet to where the previous transplanted grafts were placed. I actually have more growth in the temple points and further down where the area was virgin scalp. This gives credibility to the theory that the scar tissue from previous transplants has decreased blood supply and takes longer for regrowth. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

8 minutes ago, ruca2 said:

I'm definitely experiencing slower growth on my third transplant. My first was a small transplant and I wasn't paying as close attention to regrowth times. My second transplant I'm not even kidding that I had about 95% sprouted by the end of my 4th month. Most of which was thick terminal hair by 5 months. I am a little more than a week shy of 5 months on my third transplant and have maybe 50% sprouted and 30% matured. I'm not worried but just interesting to see the difference between the growth rates. I also note that the least amount of growth so far is closet to where the previous transplanted grafts were placed. I actually have more growth in the temple points and further down where the area was virgin scalp. This gives credibility to the theory that the scar tissue from previous transplants has decreased blood supply and takes longer for regrowth. 

Any pics of your journey?

• Like 1