400+ and 2900 Grafts FUE with Feriduni

Just crossed my 11 month mark and I think it is time to give the forum sth. back. Maybe such a mini/test transplant, is still helpful for the forum.

My Case (Original thread):

- I am almost 40, a diffuse thinner with focus on the crown and the hairline

- Like my dad my loss is very asymmetric and also has a W-shape 

- Minox and FIN for almost 5 years

- According to all clinics, I have more than 10 000 FUE grafts available (I also recalculated with the tool of Erdogan and had the same result) and my hair thickness is well above average

Why only 400 grafts:

- I am a strong believer in the X-factor (genetics) being the reason for bad results even by the best clinics, therefore I wanted to know if I am a good candidate

- My W-shape hairline has the "benefit" that small changes have a big impact (this is what Feriduni and myself thought initially and what came true)

- Dark thick hair on pale skin often look unnatural even with premium clinics --> I wanted to see it first on myself. 

- 400 FU could be disguised easily

Why Feriduni:

- I consulted with Bisanga, Feriduni and Lupanzula

- Lupanzula was my first choice initially as he is more hands-on than the other two

- But Feriduni was the only one who accepted a such a small "test case" and he was the only one who really understood what bothered me with my hair (Lupanzula focused mainly on the crown, Bisanga on the hairline)

The Surgery:

- Feriduni uses a special device which made me almost not feel the injections

- The drip (?) was actually the worst thing and maybe the "noise" when the grafts are ripped out

- As the surgery was small I did not need any painkillers after day 1and I had only minor swelling (but I had shockloss like from a big surgery)

- The surgery took only a few hours and I was back in the hotel shortly after lunchtime

- Feriduni attended the first extractions and did some himself deciding for the punch size and depth. Comment: "Your grafts are very long and robust". Not sure if long equals good in that case^^

- He is also did all incisions and came into the room several times to check the status

- The rest of the work was done by the team. But for my small case only one person did all implants etc. 

- For my surgery a manual punch was used. I think, since then Feriduni switched to WAV-System

- All grafts are inspected via microscope and sorted into: Fine singles (row 1-2), singles (next rows), multies for the rest

The Result:

- Most important: It looks unbelievable natural. No one (!) can see anything. Not even myself close up. Feriduni could hardly see the difference between implanted and natural hair when I discussed the result with him. My barber did not see anything even when I asked him to look for sth. suspicious. He only found another scar which I have on one temple from a old sport injury. 

- It looks much better than before and I feels (!) even better when I go through my hair with my hand

- Density is very good. Only a few of the very fine singles in the very first two rows did not grow. 5-20 singles from perfection IMO. Please NOTE: This effect is amplified as the new hairline is higher the my remaining peaks which amplifies this effect. This makes the judgement a little tricky. 

- Feriduni wanted to stay higher than my initial hairline. Reason: The hairline peaks are below the 1/3 mark. The hair in the very front has different texture and growth direction than the rest of my hair. Despite being thick this hair also grows only till 1 inch or so. Feriduni calls it "body hair" in the hairline^^ Also, a lower hairline makes the receding on the sides of the hairline more visible. 

---> I am happy with the outcome and hair greed has arrived. 

Next Steps:

- After having a good result I am currently planning the next step

- Option1: Again a small step with Feriduni and treat only the bad side of the hairline (400-600 FU)

- Option2: Do the entire front (1000 FUE) and crown (1000-2000 FUE) at once with Konior, Baubac or Feriduni

• Like 2

Hairline before, Intra and 3, 4, 6 and 11 month. Most growth came within one month from 3.5 - 4.5 month. You can clearly see the shockloss and the status at month 3. Also there is a small dot on this pic. This is the only graft which I was not happy with. Most likely a to big multi into a to small incision. The latest pics highlight that the new hairline is higher than my natural one by 0.5 -1 cm or so. 

Before

Front_12month_before.jpg

Intra

Front_Day_0+.jpg

3 month

Front_Month3.jpg

Month 4 and 1 week

Front_Month4+3weeks_1.JPG

Month 6 and 1 week

Front_Month6_1.jpg

Month 11

Front_Styled_Month11.JPG

Edited by Gasthoerer
  • Like 3

Some more comparisons. Especially the first two are very telling IMO. Parted before and after 11 month. 

Front_parted_Day_0-.JPG

Front_Parted_Month11.JPG

11 month combed backwards highlighting the "body hair" in front of my entire hairline. 

Front_combed1__Month11.JPG

11 month combed through showing very little to no scaring. 

Front_combed2_Month11.jpg

Edited by Gasthoerer
  • Like 1

Finally, two pics which show that a single picture can be misleading. My crown BOTH before and only a slightly apart. Both with a professional camera. 

Clinics suggested 1000 - 2500 FU with this before PIC

Crown_bad.JPG

Clinics recommended 0 zero grafts with this before picture. 

crown_good.jpg

Edited by Gasthoerer
  • Like 1

Thanks to the forum for the support choosing the clinic. My country, despite being one of the most developed countries in the world, is a hair transplant desert. Could have easily gone bad using a domestic clinic. Thanks also to Jean for the advice and comments.  

1 hour ago, Gasthoerer said:

Finally, two pics which show that a single picture can be misleading. My crown BOTH before and only a slightly apart. Both with a professional camera. 

Clinics suggested 1000 - 2500 FU with this before PIC

Crown_bad.JPG

Clinics recommended 0 zero grafts with this before picture. 

crown_good.jpg

Wow. Quite different for sure. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thank you for the nice comments!

Any recommendation for my next step? I have the grafts available but going in smaller steps seems also very convenient:

- Option1: Again a small step with Feriduni and treat only the bad side of the hairline (400-600 FU)

- Option2: Do the entire front (1000 FUE) and crown (1000-2000 FUE) at once with Konior, Baubac or Feriduni

Option 2 with Feriduni .. if he was successful the first time .. then why change that .. don’t waste years of ur life with multiple operations .. get the most of what u can  get done  right now .. get that frontal band n crown fixed .. that should give u good coverage even as u diffuse in the middle as u age more . Ur hair does look pretty good right now however .. I like that frontal row of small hairs u have on ur hairline ,, it will really help with the transition of transplant hair . Giving it a softer n more natural look .. 

Edited by Legend007
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Honestly I think your hairline looks totally fine and natural for a 40 year old man, I don't think 1000 fu is necessary at all. If it were me I would tackle the crown next. Feriduni seems to have worked well for you so I might stick with him. He's a known quantity to you know and no need to risk with another doc. And once you're "in" with the clinic you don't have to wait a year +, etc and communication is much better. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

Thank you for the nice comments!

Any recommendation for my next step? I have the grafts available but going in smaller steps seems also very convenient:

I would do option 1, his protocol obviously works on you.

And congrats on getting a great result, it  looks really good and natural.

• Like 1

Interesting approach/case Gast! My personal opinion on the "next step" would be to go with option 2 with either Feriduni or Konior (personally I think choosing Konior is about as close as one can get to guaranteeing oneself a great result!).

That said, if you are happy to proceed in smaller steps then why fix what ain't broken? :D

All the best, whatever you decide.

• Thanks 1

I think your hairline is pretty good and on point for a 40y old man too. I actually wouldn't mess with it right now. Why have surgery again when there is not problem? That starts to be using surgery as a styling too....and that is not such a great idea.  As for the crown...sure, it can use maybe 100 grafts and be much improved. Though the really depends how much it bothers you.  If this were me, I would just wait till things got to the point where it was more necessary. You could easily cover the crown with styling or even a bit of concealer and the hairline will probably degrade a bit over the next few years. Then do something.   But of course, with so many grafts available, I could also see spending a day getting the crown restored seeing as it will be a few hours in a chair and not impact your life much.  You know what, as I am writing this....if it's not much hassle and affordable, why not get the crown fixed up?  But I would tend to say leave the hairline alone unless I am missing something in the pics.  But the font looks good, appropriate and healthy. So I just would not mess with it at this point.  Though if you did 1000 up there you would have near perfecting if everything went right.  But it might not, or if your hair recedes some, then you are back in the chair in hurry. I would just let nature take it's course there and when it gets to the point surgery justifies the hassle, expense, risk and impact...go for it then. 

This especially because your hairline is unique and may be a bit tricky or unpredictable. Just leave good alone instead of risking sacrificing it for some unknown perfection that might not exist. 

Edited by txtransplant

Thank you all for your comments and recommendations. 

I know my case is not the standard approach in here. But my hairloss is quite unique and I am on the one hand very cautious and on the other hand very interested in keeping my HT secret. Even in my close environment. That makes crown work challenging.

Most important info I took from your comments: Almost everyone gives a different recommendation, which tells me that I am not crazy (only vain 😉)but it is really tricky.  

Maybe the next picture highlights my remaining issue with my hairline. While one temple is really ok for my age, the other one shows a concave balding pattern. Under certain light it looks very odd and unnatural IMO. At the moment I think this is what I fix next. Small step, but I hope, big outcome again. 

Left_Temple_Styled_Month11.jpg

On 3/3/2019 at 2:08 PM, Legend007 said:

Option 2 with Feriduni .. if he was successful the first time .. then why change that .. don’t waste years of ur life with multiple operations .. get the most of what u can  get done  right now .. get that frontal band n crown fixed .. that should give u good coverage even as u diffuse in the middle as u age more . Ur hair does look pretty good right now however .. I like that frontal row of small hairs u have on ur hairline ,, it will really help with the transition of transplant hair . Giving it a softer n more natural look .. 

This. Why waste time doing multiple procedures when you can knock everything out in one shot?  If you're insecure about your hairline, get it done.. if not I would leave it.. It looks great for your age. I would be focused on doing the entire crown. 

Thank you for your comment. I really consider all input an certainly understand the "one and done" approach. Especially now that it seems I am a good candidate. However, if I go for the crown I have to shave the entire head, as I am not a believer in unshaven FUE for such huge areas. Combine this with the unavoidable shock loss and I will look like sh.t for 3-4 month even in the best case. 

This is difficult in my position. A small hairline case would be easy to cover up and I would be able to go back to my normal routine after 2 weeks tops. quite tempting...

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, Mountinvan said:

What did you decide to do?

Thanks for your interest in this "old" case. Actually, I had surgery with Feriduni again in January. Konior was the only other option I considered. I tackled the crown only but used more grafts than initially thought with a semi shaven procedure. This gave me the opportunity to go back to work after 14 days without looking like a fool.  

I will give a full report again after the results are there, just like last time. If anyone is having a similar decision to make, I would share some pics via PM in advance. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 5:12 AM, brickellmoto said:

did you get any shock loss in your hairline when you got surgery? i sent you a PM

Not sure if I got your question right: in my first procedure I had quite some shock loss in the recipient. Pic from month 3 is very telling IMO. 

In my second procedure hairline was untouched and there is no shockloss. So far also not much shock loss in the crown... Fingers crossed 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gasthoerer said:

Not sure if I got your question right: in my first procedure I had quite some shock loss in the recipient. Pic from month 3 is very telling IMO. 

In my second procedure hairline was untouched and there is no shockloss. So far also not much shock loss in the crown... Fingers crossed 😉

yea thats what i meant. how long till the shocked native hair grew back?