Minoxidil dries/"plasticize" my hair

Jhonny

Hi guys,

I've been using Minoxidil for the past 6months and still struggling with it.

I first started with the kirkland 5% which was making my scalp super itchy and eventually had to stop it.

Now since 2months I am using Foligain foam 5% and while my scalp is not itching anymore, it makes my hair super dry with a plasticize effect. It basically feels like a strong styling gel.

Is this normal or it's just me?

Would other brands like Rogaine work better or they would give me the same outcome?

Please let me know what you think from your experience.

Thanks

Do you have experience with Rogaine foam 5%? Does it give the same "styling gel" effect?

Sometimes I feel like my hair are so dry that might break in half. Not to mention the fact that by sticking hair together it makes me look even more bald!

Been using Regaine 5% foam for a while and never seen it dry or plasticize my hair.

A few things you need to be aware of:

1) Make sure you apply Minoxidil to a completely dry scalp

2) Ensure you massage it properly into the scalp for a good 30 seconds or so (gently of course), so more of the Minoxidil is absorbed rather than just letting it dry on your hair.

3) Don't use too much! A small blob of foam is all you need..assuming you aren't completely bald lol.

Edited by psychopomp1

• 2 months later...
On 3/3/2019 at 10:06 PM, psychopomp1 said:

Been using Regaine 5% foam for a while and never seen it dry or plasticize my hair.

A few things you need to be aware of:

1) Make sure you apply Minoxidil to a completely dry scalp

2) Ensure you massage it properly into the scalp for a good 30 seconds or so (gently of course), so more of the Minoxidil is absorbed rather than just letting it dry on your hair.

3) Don't use too much! A small blob of foam is all you need..assuming you aren't completely bald lol.

Hi mate, I switched to Rogaine 5% foam and I would say it works better on me...I still get that sticky feeling but less and no itching so satisfied overall. Thanks for your help!

Just thought this update might help someone in my same situation.

Cheers

• Administrators

I use Lipogaine liquid and I find that it makes my hair look thicker, it works similar to sea salt spray. Once it's dried you blow dry it and style it. I actually find that it's pretty good for holding a hairstyle or creating volume. This video I didn't use any pomades just styled my hair with minoxidil.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Melvin,wow, that was straight styled by dried lipogaine?  Does it leave oily effect or is it rather full?  As oily effect tends to make hair look thinner.  How much is a bottle?

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Sean said:

Melvin,wow, that was straight styled by dried lipogaine?  Does it leave oily effect or is it rather full?  As oily effect tends to make hair look thinner.  How much is a bottle?

No it’s not oily at all. It leaves my hair some what plasticized as the TS mentioned, but once I blow dry it. I find the hairstyle holds. A bottle is like $30-40 can’t remember exactly. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.