How long did pain last after your procedure?

Currently scheduled for mine in July and I have 10 weeks off due to my employer's generous vacation policy so I'll be also studying for some professional exams in the mean time. Curious as to how many of you experienced pain longer than one week and how significant was it? I'm worried that I won't be able to focus on my studies during my healing process due to recurring pain from the scalp.

Are you having FUT or FUE?...and how many grafts?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I had some pain for a few days but the nerve regeneration did cause me to have a throbbing bad-head-ace like pain for around 5-7 nights, after that just occasional scalp itching and annoying pimples in donor and recipient areas. All in all, well worth it.

There is of course a certain level of pain for a few days, but it's nothing like as bad as you'd expect given that your head is full of holes! I just took a few co-codomols for a day or two post op and that was enough.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Some patients I have spoken to who have had multiple surgeries have indicated that some procedures had pain post procedure and some didn't. So it seems that it isn't patient specific.

I would say 1 in 10 patients do complain about pain in the donor area up to a few days post op. I always advise patients to take their own painkillers with them just in case the clinic provided ones run short.

As Pete says Co-codomols or Ibuprofen should help you get through the days if you are one of these patients. Just be prepared to stick it out, it will calm down with each passing day.

I've had 3 FUE procedures and had NO pain after all 3. I took my post-op pain meds on time for a week afterwards.  

The only pain i ever felt was a numbing needle and then once the sensation of a sunburn on my head during a procedure which the doctor instantly fixed. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:20 PM, 24needmore said:

1500 FUE

That's not a big procedure so the post-op discomfort will probably be minimal...but like others have said, it varies and the best advice is to be prepared.

I have always favored extra strength Tylenol...ibuprofen does help with inflammation.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 year later...

Oh, this is painful question. I was recovering about a half of a year... As you can understand it is a very long period for the pain. I have tried much other medicine from pharmacy, but the effect was not very good and I had side effects such as headaches, weakness, and many others including inflamations. But one's, my doctor, which was practicing not traditional medicine suggested me to try kratom. Since I have started using kratom the anxiety attacks started to occur very rarely and the pain is on the lowest level, practicaly gone. I am very happy that I learned about such type of treatment. f you are interested I take it from i can share some kratom stores. I am satisfied with the quality.

Edited by Ann11