Any hope for me?

Hi everyone. Just a bit of advice off you guys really. Been a lurker for a number of years, I’m 38 Norwood 6/7 been balding ever since I was an adult really. Tried Fin didn’t get on with it and minoxidil a bit of a waste of time..Started at the temples from 18 then slowly diffuse and crown in the last 10 years. Hasn’t been a rapid baldness but everyone who knows me would recognise I haven’t had a huge amount of hair for years. My Dad is exactly the same as me, looks wise, bones wise and hair wise. Though he lost his a lot later than me, he still has the back and sides still intact, which gives me hope that my donor hair wont be affected by DHT even though it’s weak.

I have always had a very high forehead and not too fussed about that. I had consultation with Farjo about 5 years ago and they said I had weak donor hair which is fair enough. Asmad said I needed to take fin to improve donor area.

I’m not actually after a huge wave of hair, I’d just like a frame again like I used to have (I would still have it short) im keeping an interest in @Donjamo hair journey as I felt his hair was similar in terms of how it looked then like mine does now. And Cinik is of interest due to cost and the good examples I’ve seen..in worried my donor isn’t enough for 2 procedures. I’ve spoke to them they say they could put 2800-3100 in there. I’m fully aware that my native hair will continue to shrink so maybe some other meds after procedure may work?

what do you think? Can I have a reasonable chance having a good enough coverage if I have transplant? I’ve highlighted the area I’d like done

EC736D55-3FDF-43CF-A49B-851FD24D4798.thumb.png.4992a56619ff2e128c9a868893d3591d.png

1BBAAFA2-50E8-4FB1-AF01-5E97F88952D8.png

BAA94816-3F7B-4142-875C-30B62EBF632D.png

89E73AD3-29E4-4B51-B583-1103C915E6F1.png

• Like 1

Hi,

From looking at your photos and reading your expectations, in my opinion, I think you could get a decent reasonable result to frame your face/head with the blue area you’ve highlighted, although im not sure about how dense it would be but that all depends upon your donor quality and quantity as well as if you choose FUE or FUT. Even though your hair loss is pretty advanced, there’s a good possibility if you have realistic expectations.

Do some in-person consultations with some doctors in your area or close, that only do Hair Transplants, get their professional opinion and take it from there.

Good Luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it were me and unrelated to this, I would buzz it shorter and go for a younger clean buzzed look. Statham comes to mind. You seem to have masculine features from what little we can see and the length you have now kind of highlights the balding for no really good reason.  You won't ever get a full head of hair. You probably have enough to get just enough to have a thin frame of natural looking hair where you hilighted. In some men that can make a difference. You seem to honestly have a pretty good head shape and I am not sure you will gain much improvement in your overall looks by doing the HT.  With a weak donor area there is only so much the can be done. And some fuzz on top often changes the look. But isn't an improvement and not worth the effort. You are younger. But I see lot's of older guys get HT and can only manage some wispy coverage about 1-2" far back on the scalp and while they seem to love it (like they felt naked on top before) the reality is they looked younger and more manly with it just buzzed off.  In your case....with thin hair...you will need probably 40-50 grafts per cm2 to have passably thick hair.  If you have a weak donor then maybe you have 3000 grafts at most. So maybe you cab cover 68 cm2?  If you spread it too thin...you end up with a really un natural look. What looks worse than bald is sick. Ans sparse too far spaced hair looks unnatural and sickly. You don't want that look!  As a guy with no horse in this race I think you probably would look better if you buzzed your hair off. But only to really tell is next time you cut your hair...save it and then draw a new 70cm2 hairline and fill it with the clippings. Truly the best way to get a rough idea on what you might look like and then decide for yourself. But yes, you could probably get the red area semi full, but wispy. I just am not sure that would be an improvement. Depends completely on face shape. Strong masculine features looks so much better bald than wispy or horseshoe. But small jaws and narrow features, even some hair keeps you from looking like your ill or an alien.  Just depends really.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, txtransplant said:

Look at this.  He looks better bald and masculine than trying to hold on to the past. And worst of all...the horseshoe.....it's just an awkward look in every way these days. 

download.jpg

DhMGwqAW0AArK3T.jpg

Yeh and that’s fine I agree with you. But my hairline starts way higher than his does or did. Look where his fringe is, that’s my only caveat to all of this my natural hairline is so high that basically you go up and inch or 2 and you’re already at the top of my head, that’s why I’m thinking there’s a chance

LOL.  Nobody know where his starts. But just trying to illustrate sometimes best to just shave it off on some faces rather than find some in between spot.  But here is a pic similar to what you have as a goal. I would guess this is around the density you would be able to achieve. Granted, he has more hair in his crown. So you would have to accept a bald crown and just focus of face framing. But I think this is a pretty realistic result and expectation if you had your hairline and some midscalp redone.  And I advocate for conservative hairlines. However I think you have yours pictured so far back it would make you feel better, but to everyone else, would add zero aesthetic benefit. This is about as high and conservative as you can get and still be an improvement over just buzzing it off.   

patient105_pic1.jpg

Edited by txtransplant
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jonboy81 said:

Yeh and that’s fine I agree with you. But my hairline starts way higher than his does or did. Look where his fringe is, that’s my only caveat to all of this my natural hairline is so high that basically you go up and inch or 2 and you’re already at the top of my head, that’s why I’m thinking there’s a chance

Bald, trump looks a lot like Dennis Hopper. 

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

3 minutes ago, Spanker said:

Bald, trump looks a lot like Dennis Hopper. 

lol.. Yes he does.  Poor guy can't do anything else though because I am positive, under that mess if a comb over he has more scars from old transplants and just a mess. One of the cautionary tales of these young guys getting FUT to fill in their frontal 1/3. They may very well reach the point of no return and then have to spend their lives with a goofy head of hair just to hide the scars and spend decades doing that.

I'll also say, I prefer trump with hair. My head doesnt look near as good as your example. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hair pieces are an option if you do not destroy your donor as well. 

View Spanker's Website

• Administrators

First, you're a Norwood 5 no where near Norwood 7. I would categorize you as a Norwood 5A. Your sides are high, a lot higher than mine. Take a look at my hair transplant journey in my signature. I started off worse than you. At 38 there's definitely hope. You just need to have realistic expectations and have a good strategy and master plan. Finding a good surgeon to execute the plan is the most important thing.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, txtransplant said:

If it were me and unrelated to this, I would buzz it shorter and go for a younger clean buzzed look. Statham comes to mind. You seem to have masculine features from what little we can see and the length you have now kind of highlights the balding for no really good reason.  You won't ever get a full head of hair. You probably have enough to get just enough to have a thin frame of natural looking hair where you hilighted. In some men that can make a difference. You seem to honestly have a pretty good head shape and I am not sure you will gain much improvement in your overall looks by doing the HT.  With a weak donor area there is only so much the can be done. And some fuzz on top often changes the look. But isn't an improvement and not worth the effort. You are younger. But I see lot's of older guys get HT and can only manage some wispy coverage about 1-2" far back on the scalp and while they seem to love it (like they felt naked on top before) the reality is they looked younger and more manly with it just buzzed off.  In your case....with thin hair...you will need probably 40-50 grafts per cm2 to have passably thick hair.  If you have a weak donor then maybe you have 3000 grafts at most. So maybe you cab cover 68 cm2?  If you spread it too thin...you end up with a really un natural look. What looks worse than bald is sick. Ans sparse too far spaced hair looks unnatural and sickly. You don't want that look!  As a guy with no horse in this race I think you probably would look better if you buzzed your hair off. But only to really tell is next time you cut your hair...save it and then draw a new 70cm2 hairline and fill it with the clippings. Truly the best way to get a rough idea on what you might look like and then decide for yourself. But yes, you could probably get the red area semi full, but wispy. I just am not sure that would be an improvement. Depends completely on face shape. Strong masculine features looks so much better bald than wispy or horseshoe. But small jaws and narrow features, even some hair keeps you from looking like your ill or an alien.  Just depends really.  

I'm gonna be totally honest, there are very few men that actually pull off the "Statham" look. I would say maybe 10% of guys can pull off the look and actually look good. The rest just look like an average bald guy. Statham looks like a model to be honest and he looked better with hair IMO. That said, doing nothing is never a bad thing, but the reality is most of us won't' look as good bald. If you can accept it and move on with life than it's the cheapest and easiest solution.

Statham.jpg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

8 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I'm gonna be totally honest, there are very few men that actually pull off the "Statham" look. I would say maybe 10% of guys can pull off the look and actually look good. The rest just look like an average bald guy. Statham looks like a model to be honest and he looked better with hair IMO. That said, doing nothing is never a bad thing, but the reality is most of us won't' look as good bald. If you can accept it and move on with life than it's the cheapest and easiest solution.

Statham.jpg

This is me at 18 with a shaved head how do you think i looked?

Screenshot_20190222-125442_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20190222-125437_Messenger.jpg

• Administrators

You look good, strong jaw. That’s really important to pull off the look. Notice statham has a very strong jaw, which is why he can pull it off. 

• Like 1

View my thread

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You look good, strong jaw. That’s really important to pull off the look. Notice statham has a very strong jaw, which is why he can pull it off. 

Strong jaw good cheekbones. Head not too big not too small. Having muscles and a tan. Alot of things play a role in how you look bald. Alot of black guys also pull it off. Theres things you can do to improve how you look bald. Like get in shape and get lean. If you want to go that route.

Yeah, it's truly a rare case where someone looks better bald than a full head of hair. 1 in 1000 maybe.  But when you start going down the path of of balding there is a point you cross where bald looks better. I would say it is extremely rare that someone looks better with a thin horseshoe than buzzed to a zero or 1 guard. That's the other end of the spectrum.  I mean a lot of guys would look better buzzed then have a hairline across the middle of their head. We see them every day and they look fine. Though probably not as attractive as when they might have had a full head of hair. We just have to work with the realities of our own situations.   And yeah, Statham is a pretty rare bird where to me he looks no better or worse.  Agree that maybe 10% of guys can pull of bald and still be as handsome as with a full head of hair. It for sure takes a very strong jawline and masculine bone structure to pull it off. But the OP with a weak donor area and some significant balding might go through all of that to wind up in that grey area where it could go either way. Really depends on his bone structure. Take Zac Efron bald. Does not work on even a handsome guy if he has anything less than very masculine features.  

download (1).jpg

Philly is a great example! I really doubt he looks much if any better with hair grown out. Very masculine and rugged and normal head shape.  Poor Zach....world class looks with hair. Bald Philly would steal bald Zach's girl with only a smile and McDonalds cheeseburger. 

Edited by txtransplant
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, txtransplant said:

Philly is a great example! I really doubt he looks much if any better with hair grown out. Very masculine and rugged and normal head shape.  Poor Zach....world class looks with hair. Bald Philly would steal bald Zach's girl with only a smile and McDonalds cheeseburger. 

ahahahha thanks. I use to not like how i look with a shaved head. I think i looks better bald now since i can grow a beard.