Jerry Cooley MD, 3694 FUT in 4K UltraHD Video

This patient is in his early 50’s and has type IV hair loss. We started finasteride and minoxidil and performed FUT 3,694 grafts and PRP/ACell. He is shown one year later. He noted that the results actually looked better at 8 months. When I questioned him about what happened, he confessed to using anabolic steroids about that time, which contained dihydrotestosterone! I counselled him that taking exogenous DHT will damage the hair and finasteride won’t help because it lowers your own DHT but does not block the DHT receptors.

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com

10 hours ago, HairCenter said:

This patient is in his early 50’s and has type IV hair loss. We started finasteride and minoxidil and performed FUT 3,694 grafts and PRP/ACell. He is shown one year later. He noted that the results actually looked better at 8 months. When I questioned him about what happened, he confessed to using anabolic steroids about that time, which contained dihydrotestosterone! I counselled him that taking exogenous DHT will damage the hair and finasteride won’t help because it lowers your own DHT but does not block the DHT receptors.

Great results and work!

Question:

In regards to the exogenous DHT damage....was this patient putting his Transplanted hairs at any risk from taking the anabolic steroids he did due to the extra DHT ... or was the exogenous DHT nullifying what ever “protection” finasteride may have helped his Native hairs and that they had succumb to the extra DHT and that’s why he felt he had better results at 8months rather than 12?  

Thanks.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:18 AM, VicTNYC said:

Great results and work!

Question:

In regards to the exogenous DHT damage....was this patient putting his Transplanted hairs at any risk from taking the anabolic steroids he did due to the extra DHT ... or was the exogenous DHT nullifying what ever “protection” finasteride may have helped his Native hairs and that they had succumb to the extra DHT and that’s why he felt he had better results at 8months rather than 12?  

Thanks.

Hi VicTNYC,

DHT definitely nullified whatever finasteride was doing. The effect of DHT on transplanted donor hairs depends on genetic sensitivity.  Some people have some low level DHT sensitivity in their donor zone which is why finasteride may help with long term maintenance of transplant results in some people.  In those people, taking DHT may have some minor negative effect on their transplant.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments.

• Like 1

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 5:29 AM, hairlossPA said:

crazy good result and scar

It is amazing result, but is it really natural? How many men you have seen in their 50's had such perfectly drawn hairline? 

It looks too good to be natural, if that makes sense 😂

6 hours ago, harry_potter1 said:

It is amazing result, but is it really natural? How many men you have seen in their 50's had such perfectly drawn hairline? 

It looks too good to be natural, if that makes sense 😂

Said this quite a few times on this site, but I couldn't disagree more. The hairline is not ultra-aggressive (and even if it were significantly lower I don't think it would look 'weird').

I see guys on the street at his age with hair like this reasonably frequently. When I see them I don't think: 'lol must be a HT'; I think: 'lucky bastard, good for you!'.

Does having a great head of hair into your 50s put you in the minority? Probably. Does it set alarm bells ringing about possible cosmetic surgery? Definitely not. This work is so refined that I (and I suspect almost no one else) would give it a second glance (other than for admiration purposes, ofc 😁).

Edited by thatoldchestnut
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Said this quite a few times on this site, but I couldn't disagree more. The hairline is not ultra-aggressive (and even if it were significantly lower I don't think it would look 'weird').

I see guys on the street at his age with hair like this reasonably frequently. When I see them I don't think 'lol must be a HT'; I think 'lucky bastard, good for you!'.

Does having a great head of hair into your 50s put you in the minority? Probably. Does it set alarm bells ringing about possible cosmetic surgery? Definitely not. This work is so refined that I (and I suspect almost no one else) would give it a second glance (other than for admiration purposes, ofc 😁).

And that’s the key thing to all of this.  The tranplant does not ring akarm bells nor has anyone doing double takes.  That’s when you know it is a success.  

It is frustrating having folks repeatedly look at your hairline and scalp after such a procedure. Fml

• 10 months later...