Need help concealing strip scar with hair grown out

I recently had a small FUE procedure to add 200 grafts into a previous FUT scar. My hair was long and the procedure was done without shaving, however the dr. did clip the hair along the linear scar to allow for graft placement. My hair was long and it was totally undetectable. It has been a little over 3 weeks from the procedure and I got a haircut yesterday with a #5 clipper around the sides/back. I didn't realize the extent that cutting the hairs around the scar would leave a noticeable gap/line in my hair, the length of the scar. In looking at the back of my head, there now is a full line the length of the scar and I'm looking for help. How can I conceal while it grows out? I tried Dermatch powder to cover it up but since hair is missing along the scar, the line on the back of my head is still very visible. Wondering if anyone has any other ideas to help conceal? I included a photo WITH the Dermatch concealer applied, so you can see how it looks. It's not doing the trick so looking for other ideas. I decided to stay home from work today and am looking for help urgently so I don't need to work from home for a couple weeks. Thanks in advance.

IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

IMG_4106.jpg

The spray is probably the best option until your hair grows to a long enough length to cover the scar.  Possibly using some hair extensions would help but you would need to go to a cosmetic stylist so it's done correctly....it may be a bit costly.

My word, you would have thought your stylist would have said something instead of just cutting the area knowing the scar was showing.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks. And to be fair - when I went in for a haircut, the scar wasn't showing and since it had been 3 weeks, I didn't think it would be visible so I just instructed her to use the #5 guard. Only after did I realize it would show. 

Update: I went to the store and found a cover-up spray. It wasn't that one exactly but figured this would be similar. 

https://www.lorealparisusa.com/products/hair-color/products/root-touch-up/magic-root-cover-up.aspx?shade=light-to-medium-blonde

Unfortunately more of the same - scar still very visible. New image attached with results from cover-up spray. Still not there yet.

Any other ideas??

IMG_4110.jpg

As far as concealers go, its going to be some combination of dermatch directly to the skin to color the scalp, toppik fibers (or similar) over that to add texture, and a few spurts of the color spray to blend it all together.  Then some hairspray to hold it all in place.  You may need to blend colors and try a few times to get the best look.  Best of luck!

Edited by Spaceman

Thanks again. For those following along,, unfortunately I went out to a few stores today and have tried Dermatch, Fill-in Powder, Color Spray, Toppik Fibers and various combinations of them all. And each combo had the same result, with the scar still showing, like in the photos. Recommend not getting yourself into this situation. Guess I need to wait until my hair grows out or until I find another solution. Open to other ideas if anyone has them.

This may be a long shot, but years ago I got the worst haircut of my entire life - the day before getting professional pictures made. When trimming around my ears, instead of just tracing the existing line, the lady buzzed about 1/2 inch above my ears. Lol. It was horrific. I went to a makeup counter at a department store, and they matched me up with an eyeliner pencil the same color as my hair that I used to color in the areas where my hair was shaved off. It wasn't a perfect fix, but it was passable. I wonder if getting a colored pencil to put directly on the scar would help conceal this? 

(I learned my lesson that day about getting a cheap haircut in a mall by someone who primarily does women's hair. Haha. Never made that mistake again...)

Edited by pkipling

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Moderators
2 hours ago, pkipling said:

I went to a makeup counter at a department store, and they matched me up with a eyeliner pencil the same color as my hair that I used to color in the areas where my hair was shaved off. It wasn't a perfect fix, but it was passable. I wonder if getting a colored pencil to put directly on the scar would help conceal this?

I agree with this. I tried an eye liner pencil before to color in some scars and it works OK. Just go to Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens etc and go in the makeup isle and look for an eyeliner pencil that matches your hair color. Don't just color in the scar. Try drawing lots of little up and down straight lines in the scar, so the lines match the direction that your hair is going. You want to try to get the look of it being hair there.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

You definitely want someone helping you applying these.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY