Will any scars appear at my scalp if I shave my hair after the transplantation?

I will undergo hair transplantation operation using the technique of FUE. Because I have the last pattern of baldness, NW7, only the frontline of my head, zone A, and zone B will be both transplanted with a density of 40-50 hairs/cm2 by grafts taken from the back of my head. I have been recommended not to perform both FUE and BHT at one operation. Therefore, the second operation applying BHT to cover my crown, zone D, with a hair taken from my chest will be performed one year later or may not be performed at all.

My question if I shave my hair after the transplantation, will any scars appear?

I used to follow a hairstyle shaving my hair at the sides and the back of my head to zero and growing my hair at the top. Because my hair at the top is very thin, it used to appear homogeneous with the shaved hairs at the sides. After I undergo the transplantation, I may sometimes continue to shave my hairs at the sides to zero and grow my hairs at the top to 1-2 cm. I may not be tied to prolong my hairs all the time.

If I cut my hair to just 1-2cm long after the transplantation, will any scars appear as a result of the operation?

If I shave my hairs at the sides and the back-bottom of my head (where the grafts are taken from) to zero, will any scars appear as a result of extraction of grafts?

4 hours ago, saizakout said:

I will undergo hair transplantation operation using the technique of FUE. Because I have the last pattern of baldness, NW7, only the frontline of my head, zone A, and zone B will be both transplanted with a density of 40-50 hairs/cm2 by grafts taken from the back of my head. I have been recommended not to perform both FUE and BHT at one operation. Therefore, the second operation applying BHT to cover my crown, zone D, with a hair taken from my chest will be performed one year later or may not be performed at all.

My question if I shave my hair after the transplantation, will any scars appear?

I used to follow a hairstyle shaving my hair at the sides and the back of my head to zero and growing my hair at the top. Because my hair at the top is very thin, it used to appear homogeneous with the shaved hairs at the sides. After I undergo the transplantation, I may sometimes continue to shave my hairs at the sides to zero and grow my hairs at the top to 1-2 cm. I may not be tied to prolong my hairs all the time.

If I cut my hair to just 1-2cm long after the transplantation, will any scars appear as a result of the operation?

If I shave my hairs at the sides and the back-bottom of my head (where the grafts are taken from) to zero, will any scars appear as a result of extraction of grafts?

Yes, you will see scars when shaved to a 0

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

A #2 guard is enough to cover any scarring. A #1 might show a little if you look closely. A zero guard will show even the best scars. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 minutes ago, saizakout said:

What is the least hair density to cover the scars with a hair length of 1-2 cm? 40-50 hairs/cm2, 30-40 hairs/cm2 or 20-30 hairs/cm2?

Likely depends on your personal hair diameter, hair characteristics, skin tone, inherent scarring physiology, etc