Grow Band - Increased oxygen + blood flow to hair follicles = new hair growth?

psychopomp1

Hi,

Sorry i didn't know where to post this but just came across this device today:

Grow Band

Which claims that as the hairband increases blood flow & oxygen to the hair follicles, this increases hair growth. Apparently this is down to more of the testosterone being converted to estradiol than DHT. Surprise Surprise, this 'hairband' isn't cheap at $297 but they offer a 6 month money back guarantee so they appear to be pretty confident in the device.

Has anyone used this and what is your feedback? There appear to be no reviews of this device anywhere.

Cheers

Looks interesting, but if it worked then the company would have posted many comprehensive before and after photos as I’m sure they’d have no problem finding unbiased test subjects not just suspect “testimonials”.

If hair loss was all just a blood flow issue then one could easily cover the scalp in cayenne pepper or peppermint oil or hang upside down to get the blood flowing to the scalp. 

• Administrators

This sounds like pseudo-science nonsense. The scalp is one of the most vascular places on the body. If the lack of blood flow was a problem, than hair transplantation wouldn't work. This would mean that balding people have impaired blood flow thus, the grafts wouldn't survive. It's amazing how clever these snake oil salesmen are getting, they're blurring the lines between fact and fiction to fool the public.

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I fully understand the scepticism but why would they offer a 6 month money back guarantee on the product if they weren't confident on its effectiveness? They're basically saying its a risk free purchase. It would be financial suicide for them if most buyers decided to return the device for a full refund within 6 months. According to their website, the device is still in 'beta' which probably explains the lack of reviews out there and also 'before' and 'after' photos.

Anyway I haven't decided yet on whether to buy it, I've emailed them a few questions and see how they respond. If i do end up buying it, I will post photos of my scalp before and after using the device, so that it helps others. But I will need reassurance from them that i can have my $297 back if the device fails to produce any meaningful results within the first 6 months. 

U have a 6 month guarantee .. what u got to lose .. document the progress every month for us .. it’s better for u to try it n know for sure .. than us guessing for u .. it be an interesting read..  it’s an advanced scalp massage .. can’t hurt to try .. 

• Administrators

I just wrote an article about this product, the theory is based on pseudo-science. In fact, it's the same theory that makes people believe that hanging upside down regrows hair or that hats cause hair loss. The product literally looks like a blood pressure cuff you put on your head and pump. You're better off getting a blood pressure cuff from Amazon and putting it on your head instead of your arm. At least it's cheaper and it works the same way. Another free way of "reducing" tension from your scalp is simply doing some scalp laxity exercises. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
15 hours ago, psychopomp1 said:

@Melvin-Moderator

Do you have a link to the article?

Yea here is the link

https://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-news/hair-loss-article/does-grow-band-actually-stop-hair-loss/3318

View my thread

On 2/17/2019 at 3:19 PM, psychopomp1 said:

I fully understand the scepticism but why would they offer a 6 month money back guarantee on the product if they weren't confident on its effectiveness? They're basically saying its a risk free purchase. It would be financial suicide for them if most buyers decided to return the device for a full refund within 6 months. According to their website, the device is still in 'beta' which probably explains the lack of reviews out there and also 'before' and 'after' photos.

Anyway I haven't decided yet on whether to buy it, I've emailed them a few questions and see how they respond. If i do end up buying it, I will post photos of my scalp before and after using the device, so that it helps others. But I will need reassurance from them that i can have my $297 back if the device fails to produce any meaningful results within the first 6 months. 

The reason companies like this offer money back guarantees is they know:

1- Many people will forget about the device or lose track of how long they've used it, and never even ask for their 6 month refund. They'll just eventually decide it doesn't work and toss it into a box in their closet. Or they'll keep putting it off till the last minute until it's too late. 

2- They can put enough in the fine print to make it difficult to actually get your money back, and many people who try will give up after a 1-2 frustrating customer service experiences. (Look up the reviews of products with such offers and you'll see pleeeeenty of posts about how hard it was to actually get a reply from the company regarding a refund.)

3- For the few who stick it out and actually collect their refund, there is usually some sort of restocking fee; for something like this it could easily be $100. This small profit combined with the above 2 items makes it worthwhile enough for them to sell you something that probably costs them literally a few dollars to make and ship.

So, essentially, they're playing the odds on consumer habits, and those odds are in their favor. It's like thinking a restaurant will fail by offering "all you can eat". They know that most people aren't going to come in and literally eat $157 worth of shrimp while only paying $11.99.

If you feel it's worth it, by all means, pursue it and please post back your experience. But do also have a healthy sense of skepticism, because you risk wasting more than just money. You also risk wasting several months where a better option could have actually helped.

• Like 3

@BaronVonHairline

I get what you're saying but:

1) $297 is a serious amount of money, I don't think anyone would be too happy at losing that in case the product turns out to be snake oil. Perhaps if it was $20 then yes, i would agree most wouldn't bother going to the hassle of returning it. But $297 is a fair amount of money in anyone's book.

2) When I emailed them asking asking how  the money back guarantee works and whether they could include that on the invoice (if i was to order), they said they fully honour it but don't normally include it on the invoice. However they said I could take their email reply as proof of the 6 months money back guarantee, ie I have it in writing from them. Now I don't know where in the world you are, but here in the UK, consumer laws are pretty tough and if a company refuses to honour a money back guarantee, the credit card company will happily step in and give you a full refund almost immediately - provided you have written proof of the money back guarantee (which I do).

3) In their email they said would refund 100% of the costs under the money back guarantee, under the condition that I cover the return shipping costs. As I'm already in the UK, that's not a big deal for me. 

Anyway I haven't purchased the device just yet, still thinking about it. I restarted using Minoxdil foam a few months ago and since starting, this has started giving me terrible dark circles under my eyes and making my face look like Frankenstein's monster. I'm also using Nourkrin for Man which has given given me very slight re-growth in patches but in most other areas its made zero difference and my hair is clearly thinning all over since stopping Finasteride around 8 months ago - i stopped d/t the brain fog which was causing mood swings and mild depression (which has now disappeared). I may even try Dutasteride to see if that is any better than Finasteride wrt side effects but I suspect the sides will be even worse on that as it blocks even more DHT (both types) than Finasteride.

Edited by psychopomp1

Ok i've taken the plunge and ordered the Growband @ $297...lol. My expectations aren't very high however I'm willing to give the device a chance and hope for the best. I will post my feedback/progress in this thread in case it helps others.

Edited by psychopomp1

U the man .. don’t forget go take pictures of The unboxing of the growband and take pics of monthly progress on this very thread .. it be exciting .. take lots of pictures .. 

I’m hoping it works or at least give some benefit ; if it doesn’t , let’s all leave a bad review on their website . after u return it n get ur money back before the 6 months .. 

.. I paid $800 to try the capillus laser cap .. was really hopeful it would work or at least stop some hair shedding and miniaturizing .. I’m not sure if it did much . Since I didn’t document it well ..I  returned it after 6 months for money back .  But wouldn’t of mind keeping it though .. . 

So thanks for taking one for the team and being the guinea pig for the growband . It be fun to follow this :)

Edited by Legend007

42 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

U the man .. don’t forget go take pictures of The unboxing of the growband and take pics of monthly progress on this very thread .. it be exciting .. take lots of pictures .. 

I’m hoping it works or at least give some benefit ; if it doesn’t , let’s all leave a bad review on their website . after u return it n get ur money back before the 6 months .. 

.. I paid $800 to try the capillus laser cap .. was really hopeful it would work or at least stop some hair shedding and miniaturizing .. I’m not sure if it did much . Since I didn’t document it well ..I  returned it after 6 months for money back .  But wouldn’t of mind keeping it though .. . 

So thanks for taking one for the team and being the guinea pig for the growband . It be fun to follow this :)

Did Capillus actually refund you the full amount you paid?

Did they make you jump thru hoops to get your refund?

No I had to pay 10% restocking fee.. it was worth it .. got to try it out . If better research or better lasers come out I wouldn’t mind giving it a try again ..

Edited by Legend007

• Administrators

$300 dollars for a blood pressure cuff you put on your head. I went in to the wrong business.

• Haha 1

View my thread