Dr. Scott F. Alexander

Marie32

I am thinking about getting a consulation from Dr. Alexander. Anyone have any expereince with him or knowledge about him? Also I noticed h is not an M.D. Is that common in this area of medicine. Help! Arizona girl

I am thinking about getting a consulation from Dr. Alexander. Anyone have any expereince with him or knowledge about him? Also I noticed h is not an M.D. Is that common in this area of medicine. Help! Arizona girl

He is a top surgeon and does excellent work, imo. i haven't had surgery with him but he was in my top 5 docs. many ht surgeons are D.O.s not M.D.s. not to worry.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I had my procedure with Dr. Alexander on January 2nd and I'm very satisfied so far. He has an excellent reputation on this board and takes a lot of pride in his work. I suggest that in the days leading up to your consultation, begin writing down questions and concerns that you want him to address. Best of luck with your decision.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

can you give me any advice about shockloss? That seems to be my biggest fear. I am consulting with a dr. tomorrow but I would like to hear from people who have already had a hair transplant regarding shockloss.Thanks!

Marie32,

There is plenty of examples on this forum that Coalition member Dr. Alexander does top notch work. You will be in great hands.

Any time hair is transplanted in between or around existing natural hair, there is a risk of temporary "shock loss" or telogen effluvium. This is even more common in women, but is almost always temporary. Only follicles that are transected (which won't happen in the hands of a skilled physician) or miniaturized hairs on their way out anyway may be permanently shocked.

Be sure to speak with Dr. Alexander about this temporary but real possibility and ways to cope with it during the healing and waiting process.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 1 month later...

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on this post. I just found it today. I wanted to clear up that I am an M.D. trained in General Surgery.

TakingThePlunge, good to hear that you enjoyed your experience. I look forward to seeing your results progress.

I am about 2 1/2 weeks post Ht and the doc and staff were great but it is quite a bit worse than I expected as far as shock loss and I am just now really not in any pain as my donor area really hurt for awhile. When does the hair from shock start to come back or when does the shock loss end?

Hi Marie,

I had my first HT with Dr. Alexander in 12/07. The results from the first came in excellent and I went back for a second in 11/08. On the second I did experience some shock loss at the ends of the donor closure. It's been just a little over 3 months and I'm happy to say that the hairs in that area are all growing back. My existing hair covered it so it wasn't something very noticible to anybody but me. I don't think that everybody has the same experience with shockloss but I think you'll start seeing any hairs lost from this start to come back at about the 3 month period.

Different people have different pain tolerance levels but I'm pretty sure that no one enjoys the first couple weeks of the donor area :-). I do think the sutures that Dr. A uses are more comfortable than staples.

You'll also have some numbness which is of concern to some but in both cases for me the numbness was pretty much all gone after 3 months.

Best of luck to you and hope you're as happy with you're results as I was after a year.