DHI method

I'm deciding if it's worth the risk traveling to Turkey to have HT. I had a consultation with Bosley in NY. We discussed both  procedures that they offered FUE/FUT , also stating the limitations of both by Bosley standards ( 2,200 grafts for FUE and 3,400  for FUT) .  The consultant said that I have good donor hair and that I would require 3,000 grafts . I attached a photo showing my hair. That being said the FUT was the best viable solution, I agreed since I didn't want to have my head shaved. That evening I started researching all options currently available, thats when I read about DHI. Most of the posts were coming from sites in Turkey.  Qunomedical stuck out, so I contacted them. We discussed various Dr's, their  first recommendation was Dr. Cinik. after further discussions I decided that  I wanted a Dr. to perform the procedure, not technicians and that I preferred not to have my head shaved. I sent them pics they needed to determine " my free personalized treatment plan and quote ". They sent me  a proposal from the Istanbul Aesthetic center, that Dr. Baris Erturk will perform the procedure, claiming that I need 3,100 grafts which can be done without shaving my head by manual  DHI. Sounds great, right!! No, there are many different takes on DHI some say max amount of grafts per session 1500-2000, others say patients should be under 40 years of age, by the way I'm over 60. other say that you can't harvest more than 1000 grafts from an area that's not shaved. On top of which I can't find any reviews positive or negative on Dr. Baris Erturk. I'm totally frustrated and confused. I travel to Europe frequently so going to Turkey isn't a big deal and $ saved is substantial. I'm trying to grasp what to believe, which method is right for me and who to trust doing the surgery. I need Help!

IMG_1635.jpg

IMHO, I would never consider Bosley.... and in Europe, there are many better known reputable skilled FUE surgeons especially in Belgium.

Just surf as many Euro based forums that you can.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

You lost me at Bosley. I agree with Gillenator, although it may be difficult to find a clinic where they do DHI and the doctor performs the DHI that is not a top Doc/clinic that doesn’t have a months or even a years long waitlist.

Tom

id definitely research more into doctors locally and overseas. Try not to jump into anything too soon and take your time. And FYI, Bosley doesn’t exactly have the best track record. First decide what method you’d like to do (fut or fue). I wouldn’t get too caught up in the exact methods like dhi for fue. If you choose a good doctor/clinic, you are maximizing your chances of success. Once you choose the method you want, then you can narrow it down to specific doctors that specialize in the method you want done.

also, I’d seriously consider shaving your head for the surgery as it simplifies the task at hand for the surgeon (at least from my understanding). It does suck because your loss is highlighted with a shaved head but it’s only temporary.

so read up as much as you can and ask as many questions as you can both here and to doctors you are considering.

good luck 

I agree with everything that JJ said and with the other posters recommending against Bosley.

In addition, with your level of loss and the length at which you wear your hair, be sure to consider FUT from a clinic that performs large sessions like Hasson and Wong in North America or Hattingen in Europe. With your hair at that length a scar won’t be noticeable at all.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Dr Barış Ertürk said:

I found my name on google in this topic hi Dr Barış Ertürk talking :)

FUT is histhorical method forget it 

FUE  by technicians its like " you buy cheap plane ticket to fly somewhere and this company is flying without pilot " 😊 

Im  allways in contact with my patients maybe its about that you couldnt find any rewievs about me ... 

Im using FUE method with some modifications its calling #iceplasma fue and if donor area is good we can work with high greft numbers 5500 or more without any scar if i can i will put here one of my patients (he is also my cardiologist friend ) before and after photo ( 5300 graft #iceplasmafue ) and if you want to look more resaults you can contact in instagram.com/drbariserturk

instagram.com/drbariserturkclinic

+905370122172 ( whatsapp / viber ) 

Inst-image-1.jpg

#1: please brush up on your english or use a better translation site

#2: fut is not a “histhorical” method. It has its place and still produces great results and for some patients is the more logical approach 

#3: please describe how your “#iceplasma fue” is different from other fue surgery? What tool do u use to extract grafts (manual punch, cit, motorized, waw, Harris safe, dull, trumpet, hybrid)? How do u place grafts (forceps, implanters)? Storage solution? We want to know what makes your fue so special that you had to give it a certain name?

Thanks for all the responses. I'm certainly not very knowledgeable, but from my limited research they say that  you should only harvest from a specific area from the back of your head. If you go beyond, the hairs are weaker and have a lessor chance of survival.So to harvest large amounts of grafts FUT is the better approach. I don't believe you can harvest 5500 grafts by FUE and stay within the recommended donor region. 

2 hours ago, tom weizmann said:

Thanks for all the responses. I'm certainly not very knowledgeable, but from my limited research they say that  you should only harvest from a specific area from the back of your head. If you go beyond, the hairs are weaker and have a lessor chance of survival.So to harvest large amounts of grafts FUT is the better approach. I don't believe you can harvest 5500 grafts by FUE and stay within the recommended donor region. 

Tell me you’re not still actually thinking about going to Bosley?

Make no mistake about it....whether it's FUHT or FUE, any surgery is going to develop scarring in the healing process.  The real and more pertinent issue is, "How visible is the scarring?"

This example has enough grown out hair length to cover up any scarring including a strip scar.

Let's buzz down the area and have a look at the 5,000 plus extraction sites...how visible is the scarring with a buzzed cut?

Not trying to be critical here, it's just that enough hair length can cover up most any scarring and hard to imagine that much density is there after 5,000 plus extractions.

Only the best pics will be presented but how representative is it of the average patient with average density levels?

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I have been researching HT for a long time now and being working in the middle east, I can say that there is a big hype about naming procedures based on tools and minor modifications. It is all a marketing tool. My doc clearly explained all of this to me. There is only FUT and FUE and they both can be used depending on each specific case and sometimes purely according to your preference. Don't fall for procedure names and do your research well. Best of luck!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 12:23 PM, gillenator said:

Make no mistake about it....whether it's FUHT or FUE, any surgery is going to develop scarring in the healing process.  The real and more pertinent issue is, "How visible is the scarring?"

This example has enough grown out hair length to cover up any scarring including a strip scar.

Let's buzz down the area and have a look at the 5,000 plus extraction sites...how visible is the scarring with a buzzed cut?

Not trying to be critical here, it's just that enough hair length can cover up most any scarring and hard to imagine that much density is there after 5,000 plus extractions.

Only the best pics will be presented but how representative is it of the average patient with average density levels?

Yes, exactly. Not to mention that after my 5000 graft “historical” procedure, the back of my head looks better than that guys at that length. Not nearly as shaggy. 

For any newbies reading this thread, you can’t remove 5000 grafts (15000! follicles) and not leave a mark. No such method exists.