1869 Grafts with Dr. Diep 2/12/19 (33 y/o Caucasian NW3)

6 hours ago, FUEblonde1985 said:

Day 25:

The week at the office was pretty uneventful. Everyone was surprised by my haircut since its a lot shorter but I don't think it occurred to anyone that I had a HT. One of the judge's did not even recognize me when I came into his court. The donor area wasn't really noticeable with the use of dermmatch- but my recipient area is still fairly red and you could plainly see it if you were looking at my head. With the way I was styling my hair though, (and the fact that you couldn't really see that my hairline was receding before) - it likely just looks like a redness near my hairline that could be caused by ?? who knows. I told a couple people and they were very interested in the process. I'm sure everyone else can see the redness but no one seemed to really overly invested in figuring out what the redness was.

The top of my head and recipient is still fairly numb but I can slowly feel sensation returning. Will probably take a few months at this rate. Many of the recipient hairs have shedded, a lot remain, a few seem to continue growing. Was using bacitracin for a few days on the recipient to address some of the pimples/redness as advised by the Dr. Redness remains in the donor area but it is becoming increasingly less visible as the hair around it grows.

I *feel* like there is a noticeable loss in density in the donor and from certain angles it looks a bit worrisome, but it seems fairly comparable to other donor areas I've seen with the same skin type around the same time. I'm guessing there is some mild shock loss - but I can't tell if the visibility is due to continued redness or due to shock loss or overharvesting.

Comparison photos are from day 1/3

Backday3.thumb.jpg.af0d44debda7258d0dd2b7f70e315dc7.jpg

IMG-0792.thumb.JPG.5abc40e2e5186ea71b018dd6385a4e33.JPGPostopside1.thumb.jpg.7b82c13b42507390cf9e5fc3444f338d.jpgday22front.thumb.jpg.38925634b9fe6185e787953d34e2cb8c.jpg

Hey dude,

It's looking so much better, and you look to be on track, so well done!

Cannot see anything to be concerned about seeing as it's only been a few weeks.

I was wondering id Dr. Diep discussed shaving your entire head, and placing any preventative grafts further back?

I only ask as my pattern is similar to yours and I'd like to keep my hair as is, only extending the hairline just as you have - but I wasn't too sure on what surgeons recommend when it comes to any further loss.

Best of luck mate, and happy growing!

1 hour ago, bonkling said:

Hey dude,

It's looking so much better, and you look to be on track, so well done!

Cannot see anything to be concerned about seeing as it's only been a few weeks.

I was wondering id Dr. Diep discussed shaving your entire head, and placing any preventative grafts further back?

I only ask as my pattern is similar to yours and I'd like to keep my hair as is, only extending the hairline just as you have - but I wasn't too sure on what surgeons recommend when it comes to any further loss.

Best of luck mate, and happy growing!

We didn't really talk about shaving the head. I made it clear that I did not want that done. He did shave a few cm of hair around the hairline in the recipient - you can see that many of the hairs near the hairline are the natural hairs regrowing right now - so there were hairs implanted behind the existing hairline. My understanding is that going further into the hairline risks shock loss of the hairs around that which is no good if those are the hairs that are next to go on your head.

Propecia has halted the further recession (or at least slowed it greatly) of the hairline.

38 minutes ago, shookwon33 said:

Things seem to look really good man! Trust the process. Where do you get your propecia from if i may ask?

Funny you should ask that. I just started on brand name propecia when I was previously on the generic proscar. My first batch of the drug was a prescription for generic proscar, and I initially had sides when doing 1/4 every day, and experimented and eventually landed on .5 mg every third day. I don't know the manufacturer.

That lasted me for a few years. When I had my consult with Diep I was almost out, and he wrote me a new proscar prescription and my local pharmacy (Kaiser) gave me what I think was the same manufacturer (pills looked identical, but I'm not sure if that means its the same or what) - Dr. Reddy's.

I felt like over the last year the propecia wasn't as effective - I couldn't necessarily see anything visually but the hair just felt not as thick. So I had Diep write me a prescription for brand propecia and I just picked that up a few days ago. The price was ridiculous ($300 for 90 1mg pills from a local pharmacy in Cali - the tech there said this drug is rarely purchased). But...I had been doing some reading about peoples differing experiences between generics and brand and I figured I don't want to chance it with my finasteride being less effective.

If the drug seems to have a noticeable effect in the crown area - I'll probably stick with the brand and go with Merck's proscar to cut the cost a little bit.

• Administrators

Everything looks great, I wouldn't be concerned about any thing at this point tbh. You could be experiencing some slight shock loss in the donor and may even experience some mild shock loss in the recipient, but hopefully not. I visited Dr. Diep's office today for an interview. I will be editing it in the next few days and putting it up on YouTube, while I was there I saw a guy in the waiting room that turned out to be a patient. I swear I get jealous of some guys results lol you're in good hands.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

13 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Everything looks great, I wouldn't be concerned about any thing at this point tbh. You could be experiencing some slight shock loss in the donor and may even experience some mild shock loss in the recipient, but hopefully not. I visited Dr. Diep's office today for an interview. I will be editing it in the next few days and putting it up on YouTube, while I was there I saw a guy in the waiting room that turned out to be a patient. I swear I get jealous of some guys results lol you're in good hands.

I hope you asked him about his punch. Seems to be the most controversial aspect of his work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although I have seen alot of Dr Dieps results on youtube (and they looked great) I have never seen any case posted so this will be nice to follow, but I do have to admit I got terrified watching that post-op, so I do hope everything will be ok and heal up well.

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, haironhead said:

Although I have seen alot of Dr Dieps results on youtube (and they looked great) I have never seen any case posted so this will be nice to follow, but I do have to admit I got terrified watching that post-op, so I do hope everything will be ok and heal up well.

Dr. Diep has dozens of posted results on here, including mine. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Not a whole lot new. Donor area is itching more than I'd like - today I scratched too hard and started bleeding. The donor area is definitely thinner but I don't know if is noticeable to others unless you point it out. The skin underneath the donor area is still red but its fairly well hidden by the hair at this point.

The recipient area redness doesn't seem to be improving all that much (if at all). I'm not sure if its because I am getting intermittent unprotected sun exposure or what (I'm talking a total of 7-12 minutes total throughout the day for 1-2 minutes at a time just walking from my car to the office or to a restaurant and back). Can't wear a hat because of the environment I work in, and my hair mostly covers the recipient. Dr said I shouldn't be concerned as I may have a histamine positive skin type which can result in redness for up to a year. For what its worth, I also have mild rosacea so my face is usually pink and gets red easily from heat/sun/spicy food/alcohol.

It doesn't seem like anything more has shed in the last week or so - there is about 10-15% of the hairs I would guess that didn't shed and appear to be growing. The hairs near the hairline you see in the photos are native hairs. Doesn't seem like any shock loss in the recipient area.

Just trying to be patient.

IMG-0828.JPG

5 week - 1.png

IMG-0829.JPG

Edited by FUEblonde1985

Thank you for all of the updates, it's that type of information that is invaluable for all of us on this forum, appreciate it bro. I think everything is looking on point, Dr Diep gets great results and you will be in for one from the pics I believe. In terms of his donors, they always concern me, it's the whole transection thing I cannot get past. Yes his results are good but I worry it's ignoring the need for subsequent HT's for patients in the future. With an FUT/FUT/FUE mix you can get up to three or four good quality HTs, with two Diep FUE's I would be highly concerned that you couldnt afford another full HT just based on how sparse the donor would be after two, but that's just going off visual evidence on these websites.

9 hours ago, FUEblonde1985 said:

Not really. The scalp above the recipient area is still quite numb and the recipient area still has some numbness as well.

Would you mind sharing how much you paid per graft? I've been looking into Diep but I've heard he's raised his prices a decent amount.

Just now, FUEblonde1985 said:

It's in my OP. Approx 16k for 1869 grafts

So $8.5 / graft? Someone on a different forum said he quoted near $10 / graft but there must have been a confusion or something.

2 minutes ago, curlyq52 said:

So $8.5 / graft? Someone on a different forum said he quoted near $10 / graft but there must have been a confusion or something.

My pricing was calculated when I booked the procedure which was nearly a year ago. So perhaps his prices went up since then? His waiting list is nearly a year long - if the demand for his service is outpacing his ability to perform the procedures, then it would only make sense from a business standpoint to increase the price. It's also possible that "nearly $10 / graft" is still consistent with what I paid since some people might consider 8.50/graft to be "nearly 10/graft." Or if its at 9/graft that is also nearly 10/graft.

Edited by FUEblonde1985
  • Like 1

Just now, FUEblonde1985 said:

My pricing was calculated when I booked the procedure which was nearly a year ago. So perhaps his prices went up since then? His waiting list is nearly a year long - if the demand for his service is outpacing his ability to perform the procedures, then it would only make sense from a business standpoint to increase the price.

Yeah, I think that's probably what's happening. 

• Administrators

Unfortunately, persistent redness can occur, it's actually fairly common with fair skinned guys. Just keep in mind the redness can persist for several months.

View my thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Looks like you may suffer from the persistent redness. Everything looks on track. Happy growing 😊

View my thread

• 2 weeks later...

I have commented the donor before but when there is itching to and so long after it dosnt sound pleasant. I dont really see the point with Diep using so big punches. Here is a similar case with another doctor and the donor looks much better.

download.thumb.png.482b5f41ed212318026cd

• Like 1