Shampooing and Massaging After Hair Transplant ?

Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask you this, Everytime I have Hair Transplant, I get in this dilemma, lets say after a Month or so when I start Shampooing my Hair everytime I get paranoid am I rinsing it too much and too harshly ? It is that fear of touching it and rinsing which gives me goosebumps. Even while massaging Minoxidil on the Transplanted area, This fear always touches my mind, am I not massaging it too much, or too Harshly ? How does one reach to a relaxed state on this ? What is the actual truth ? Does too much massaging or rinsing after One month of Procedure does it make any difference. Also would like to mention I do not massage or rinse too harshly, I am always gentle, But still get a feeling if is it too Vigorous and too much ?

is rinsing for a longer period of time while shampooing or massaging too much while applying minoxidil harmful can it lead to Hair Grafts getting damaged after a Month ?

Edited by jooeey

I probably did over kill for about 2 months, and barely even touched my head.  Even now at 5 months I am still gentle, and pat dry my hair.  I even used a 44 oz. cup to rinse my head.  I am not one of the guys who gives a day by day description of my progress.  My hair seems fuller, but I won't make any judgement until at least a year.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

1 hour ago, Dazed said:

I probably did over kill for about 2 months, and barely even touched my head.  Even now at 5 months I am still gentle, and pat dry my hair.  I even used a 44 oz. cup to rinse my head.  I am not one of the guys who gives a day by day description of my progress.  My hair seems fuller, but I won't make any judgement until at least a year.

Ok, that was an attempt to hijack my thread by narrating your personal proceedings. Please don't do that !

7 hours ago, jooeey said:

Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask you this, Everytime I have Hair Transplant, I get in this dilemma, lets say after a Month or so when I start Shampooing my Hair everytime I get paranoid am I rinsing it too much and too harshly ? It is that fear of touching it and rinsing which gives me goosebumps. Even while massaging Minoxidil on the Transplanted area, This fear always touches my mind, am I not massaging it too much, or too Harshly ? How does one reach to a relaxed state on this ? What is the actual truth ? Does too much massaging or rinsing after One month of Procedure does it make any difference. Also would like to mention I do not massage or rinse too harshly, I am always gentle, But still get a feeling if is it too Vigorous and too much ?

is rinsing for a longer period of time while shampooing or massaging too much while applying minoxidil harmful can it lead to Hair Grafts getting damaged after a Month ?

I think the only time that you should be careful is two weeks post op. And even then, many doctors invite you to shampoo the recipient area in order to ensure that the scabs fall off quickly. 

After a month the grafts have been secured into your scalp and they are part of your body. I don’t think they are any different than the native hairs. 

So no need to be particularly careful - just common sense (like... don’t set your hair on fire or shampoo with bleach)

34 minutes ago, HarryHonolulu said:

I think the only time that you should be careful is two weeks post op. And even then, many doctors invite you to shampoo the recipient area in order to ensure that the scabs fall off quickly. 

After a month the grafts have been secured into your scalp and they are part of your body. I don’t think they are any different than the native hairs. 

So no need to be particularly careful - just common sense (like... don’t set your hair on fire or shampoo with bleach)

So medium, moderate rinsing (which maybe subjective on what is harsh and what is ok and slow and medium) should not really matter after s month right ? No shampoo and rinsing at whatever speed one wants will not excavate the hair roots out of its place ? is it ?

2 hours ago, jooeey said:

So medium, moderate rinsing (which maybe subjective on what is harsh and what is ok and slow and medium) should not really matter after s month right ? No shampoo and rinsing at whatever speed one wants will not excavate the hair roots out of its place ? is it ?

That’s correct.

Some believe that for the first 7-10 days you should pour the shampoo and rinse, (without touching).  Others suggest you can just tap up on down but without scrubbing and then rinse.  (You can gently scrub the donor area from day 1).  The idea is to just keep the area clean.  10-14 days you can gently scrub with the tips of your fingers.  What I typically tell patients after the 14 day period is to get under the shower and let the whole area soak for 10 min and then scrub.  We need to get the crusts our of there ASAP to prevent infections.  At this time you can not hurt anything,  The grafts are secured under the skin.  

After two weeks, go back to your normal routine, (hopefully your hygiene regimen is a good one). How hard or gentle you are makes no difference.  Whatever hair you are going to shed, it was meant to shed,  This brings up the point of the two types of loss.  The hair that you see and the one you don't see......If you see hair in the shower, floor, etc....this is normal.  Most believe 100 days a day is normal.  This hair typically returns.  You are just going through a resting phase.  The hair that you don't see, that's hair loss.  That's the hair that is miniaturizing, dissipating and going away.  Go to the mirror.  Look at your corners.  Note the shaft of each hair.  Some are thick and some are not.  Those fine ones, that's the process of hair loss. Eventually that hair does not seem to grow very well and will eventually disappear.

This just calls for a bit of common sense.  You do not need to scrub very hard to keep an area clean. Nor do you have to scrub in a certain way to keep hair. Whatever is going to happen it will happen naturally.  

Are you doing any medical regimen to help you with retention and enhancement of the native hair?  Talk to your doctor about Propecia, Rogaine, PRP and laser.  These can help you slow down, retain and even enhance the miniaturized hair.  Or it will help to slow down the loss.

12 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Are you doing any medical regimen to help you with retention and enhancement of the native hair?  Talk to your doctor about Propecia, Rogaine, PRP and laser.  These can help you slow down, retain and even enhance the miniaturized hair.  Or it will help to slow down the loss.

Yes I am on these things.

21 hours ago, jooeey said:

Ok, that was an attempt to hijack my thread by narrating your personal proceedings. Please don't do that !

Screw you!!  I responded to you talking about shampooing your hair.  You can go F**k yourself.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

7 hours ago, Dazed said:

Screw you!!  I responded to you talking about shampooing your hair.  You can go F**k yourself.

The OP asked a couple questions regarding shampooing and rinsing hair. You went on your own narrative talking about what you did post op and your results which doesnt help answer his questions AT ALL. Now you're mad and cussing at him? LOL 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 5:11 PM, Dazed said:

I am not here for Mud Slinging but you indeed sound and look Dazed as your name suggests. Go first help yourself ! By atleast giving yourself a decent user name. Not something which is Funny !!

• Administrators

Jooey,

It was pretty clear to me he was not hi-jacking your thread, but simply responding by giving his own experience. Dazed, let’s withhold from profanity. 

Onward and upward

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.