Big shed at 15 months post-op, very worried

Had a 1700 frontal third FUE with a very-very respected doc on these forums 15 months ago. Yes I’m on fin and minoxidil and have been for years. Then a few weeks ago I suddenly started shedding transplanted hair and it’s still going on. I’m freaking out. At first I thought maybe the so-called seasonal shed, but it seems like far too much for that -- there's one temple that went from being pretty filled in to hardly anything there. Doc says to wait a few months and see if it grows back which is indeed all I can do. But I’m just wondering if anybody has had anything like this happen. I’ve been trying to think of things I could have done to trigger a hair resting phase (like, I went into a tanning bed for 10 minutes last month). Even if there was something, why would it just impact transplanted hairs? Shouldn’t they be stable as regular hair after a whole year? I was just getting to the point where I felt like I was “done” and then this happens. I know some of you will be like “post photos” but I rather not do that and this is not about the overall result. Any advice or thoughts appreciated. Thank you

my only question is: how do you know for certain it is only transplanted hair that is shedding? was it a procedure where the doctor solely implanted into virgin/blank scalp (like your temples you mentioned) ?

How much density have you lost in this shedding area? from 100% full illusion, to almost all gone? or somewhere in between?

It's also possible the grafts the doctor took crept into the unsafe zone on the back of your head.

I guess don't know for certain it's only the new hairs that are shedding but there's definitely no obvious thinning anywhere except that new frontal virgin-ish hairline (which, yes, I suppose was thinner to start with than the rest by default)  

I'd say it went from giving the illusion of full-ish to clearly looking thinning, as if, say, a total of 25% just vanished.

He did take some from the upper neck, lower base of head area which is the less safe zone but this person is also an undisputed expert so I assume he knew what he was doing there. Also, if there were impacted by DHT I wouldn't think they'd fall out all around the same period of time? Wouldn't they gradually thin like regular baldness? 

Edited by crankyhair

I'd like to see some pictures of before and currently.

Search the forum for some posts by spex regarding seasonal shedding and/or transplanted hair shedding cycles. He speaks of this phenomenon where in some cases the transplanted hairs enter the resting phase at around the same time and the area will appear thinning again as the transplanted density is not equal to the native hair density of hair. 

If you dont have any scalp condition going on (usually a telltale sign is itching, flaking, redness) in the area and you do not have anything in the last few months that have triggered a telogen effluvium, it just might be synchronized shedding and theres really nothing else to do but wait. This is all just my opinion however.

In any case, goodluck and I wish the best for you

No scalp conditions. Yes, I've seen those posts. Hair shedding as part of a natural cycle would make sense except the usual growth phase is like 8 years, not just 15 months after the last time they shed post-transplant. It does feel like something triggered them to fall out, I'm just baffled as to what that could be and worried about whether I'll get them all back. And if I did something "wrong" I'd like to know what it is so I could avoid it in the future.  

Were you completely bald in the transplant area? How are you sure its transplanted hair that fell? Did you change medication vendor? Any flu or high fever?

I understand not wanting to post pics, but without them your perception is always a factor that can't be ruled out as a factor. Im not saying it is, I'm just saying there isn't much anyone can say. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Yes from a previously bald area. Medication same pharmacy as usual. I'm not trying to convince anybody, and if you're doubtful I understand. I'm wondering if anybody has additional insight or advice based on what I'm seeing and it sounds like there isn't an explanation I'm missing and, for better or worse, this shouldn't happen and wait and seeing is the only option. 

Edited by crankyhair