Can A Hair Transplant Restore A Full Head of Hair

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

The question that every patient wants to know, whether a hair transplant can restore a full head of hair. Unfortunately, in most cases I would say no. What do you guys think?
Can A Hair Transplant Restore A Full Head of Hair

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Restoring a full set of hair will depend on a number of factors including the what pattern the patient is thinning into.  Go to the Norwood chart, (Ludwig for women).  If you are classified as a 1-2, sure, you can achieve a full set of hair.  5-6-7?  No way.  Can doing a transplant in an advanced pattern help? Of course!  But it is an illusion.  This is where the artistry of the doctor comes in.  The secret to the whole thing is the concept of shingling.  If the grafts are placed in such a way that they are call working together, you can achieve a "fuller" looking set of hair.  Can it be the density of the hair you had when you were very young? No.  

Second, is the caliber of the hair.  The finer the hair, the more natural the result but you need a lot more hair to achieve the same density of an individual that has thick hair.

Other factors include the size of your head, elasticity in the donor area and others.

Lastly....If you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  It is a constant battle.  So, to achieve "fuller" density, the first thing to consider is halting the loss of the native hair.  This is why most practices will recommend some type of medical regimen to help with retention and enhancement of the native hair.

Have you visited with any doctors so far?  What have they said?