Thinking about getting SMP done - desperately need advice

I had a FUT surgery last year and have hated the results. I don't know if I was expecting too much or what not. I have diffuse loss in the middle and really badly diffused crown. I thought the surgery would make me look like I don't have hair loss anymore and that has not been the case. It looks really shitty and patchy, the crown especially looks horrible.

I'm thinking about getting SMP done. How much can that hide the FUT scar? I don't expect perfection but can it make it look say 70 or 80% better?

Also how dark can the SMP be? Can it make my head look like this?

untitled28.bmp

Edited by tiesto33

• Administrators

I don’t believe smp truly disguises scars. Be very careful, there was a thread here recently where the patient got an FUT scar covered and it ended up looking worse. If you have smp go to a hair transplant surgeon that does smp as well, it may be a better option to transplant beard hair to the scar. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on how good your tricho closure is a combination of FUE & SMP into the scar may be better. You could also consider long hair SMP to add the illusion of density on top if you have a see through scalp after your HT

Brahma, some toppik in your crown would go a long way and is the easiest and cheapest solution. You can’t see the scar with the way you wear your hair, but if you plan to buzz it then FUE into scar would probably be a better choice and it would age better than SMP.

Dude ,  u r just setting urself up for failures all day . U too panicky and make bad decisions without researching or having knowledge about things .. there is no way u makin six figures .. as most of the things u say is exaggerated .. so I highly doubt that.  .. there is no way u be able to shave ur head bald . U got 4000 randomly placed hairs all over ur head .. when u shave those hairs down .. there will be bumps . N some scarring .. u just don’t notice it as much when there is hair there .. u could do a buzzcut though .. 

it’s obvious what ur solution is .. get another transplant to specifically target the crown .. durrr

Edited by Legend007
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

Dude ,  u r just setting urself up for failures all day . U too panicky and make bad decisions without researching or having knowledge about things .. there is no way u makin six figures .. as most of the things u say is exaggerated .. so I highly doubt that.  .. there is no way u be able to shave ur head bald . U got 4000 randomly placed hairs all over ur head .. when u shave those hairs down .. there will be bumps . N some scarring .. u just don’t notice it as much when there is hair there .. u could do a buzzcut though .. 

it’s obvious what ur solution is .. get another transplant to specifically target the crown .. durrr

I agree 100%. Your best option is to do another HT with some of top doctors.

Yea dude,  i agree with above posts,  guys whove had ht's ive seen look weird with shaved heads, and even weirder with ink.  They never seem to get the color to look right or match, its got to have something to do with the scar tissue.  I feel like smp is secondary anyway as a hair loss solution.  If i had the funds available id try hts plus hair system.  More work and money but having hair on your head beats shaved head anyday. You should just see the process through since youve already commited to ht route,  which seems to be much better in long run,  plus u are treated by a physician as opposed to a cosmetic tattoo artist,  good luck

Edited by SPF_777_JC
error

Here's a recent client I worked on who had what he considered a failed transplant. I work on several clients like this a month, both strip and FUE, who did not get appropriate density due to lack of grafts. 

I've also seen several clients who try putting grafts into the scar. Some get excellent yield, others not so much. It's a bit of a crap shoot and I think most surgeons will be up front about this. I agree that there's nothing like actual hair, though and definitely worth considering it for scar repair before doing SMP.

Regarding 

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

3 hours ago, hairthere said:

Here's a recent client I worked on who had what he considered a failed transplant. I work on several clients like this a month, both strip and FUE, who did not get appropriate density due to lack of grafts. 

I've also seen several clients who try putting grafts into the scar. Some get excellent yield, others not so much. It's a bit of a crap shoot and I think most surgeons will be up front about this. I agree that there's nothing like actual hair, though and definitely worth considering it for scar repair before doing SMP.

Regarding 

Do you have any examples of smp on just temple points?