Does Creatine Cause Hair Loss

• Administrators

I remember I took Creatine for a few months back in 2012, while I didn't really notice a big difference in terms of size and strength. I did notice increased hair shedding. After researching a bit further I found that Creatine was linked with hair loss. What are your guys experience with Creatine? I'd love to hear the communities input.

Does The Popular Exercise Supplement Creatine Cause Hair Loss

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Can we expand this topic to include whey protein powder? There is a hair transplant doctor (Larry Shapiro) that claims whey isolate increases hair loss but whey concentrate helps promote healthy hair. There are also doctors such as Sean behnam that advise patients to take speciality protein powders such as the “help hair shakes” post op

• Administrators
2 hours ago, jj51702 said:

Can we expand this topic to include whey protein powder? There is a hair transplant doctor (Larry Shapiro) that claims whey isolate increases hair loss but whey concentrate helps promote healthy hair. There are also doctors such as Sean behnam that advise patients to take speciality protein powders such as the “help hair shakes” post op

I woupd be wary of any surgeon claiming a protein causes hair loss and then sells a protein himself. That said, I stopped using whey protein a few years ago. I stick with organic vegetable protein. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I woupd be wary of any surgeon claiming a protein causes hair loss and then sells a protein himself. That said, I stopped using whey protein a few years ago. I stick with organic vegetable protein. 

Interesting I think I’ll give that a shot. I remember trying one and it was extremely chalky. Any recommendations?

• Administrators
5 hours ago, jj51702 said:

Interesting I think I’ll give that a shot. I remember trying one and it was extremely chalky. Any recommendations?

Vega protein is pretty good. You can buy it on amazon. If you live in the US it's at Vons also.

• Thanks 1

View my thread

Yes, for me, creatine did exacerbate my hair loss, I did feel slight “gains” but stopped taking it a while ago after seeing that there are studies that say it does “assist” in loss of hair.

As for Whey, I buy the most “cleanest” one on the market ‘Naked’ brand but lately have not been taking it and have been taking an all natural collagen peptide protein powder in my pre-workout coffee (20oz), joints and recovery feels better, same with skin and hair slightly.

beta aline,creatine,pre work shakes all tests booster, pre hormones .... are bad for hair

whey protein (only whey no mixed shakes ) are not bad for hairloss

all anabolic are bad for hair, but all short esters are really bad

long esters like test e and bold one are relatively save bc they don't work aggressive 

anavar is the safest anabolic, the really bad ones are masteron,stanos (wins rol )parabolan and all dht related anabolics

hgh is proven good for hair (makes hair thicker and replace hairs )

hch,clomid,tamoxifen,..... are hair killers

Edited by jim009

• Administrators
5 hours ago, jim009 said:

beta aline,creatine,pre work shakes all tests booster, pre hormones .... are bad for hair

whey protein (only whey no mixed shakes ) are not bad for hairloss

all anabolic are bad for hair, but all short esters are really bad

long esters like test e and bold one are relatively save bc they don't work aggressive 

anavar is the safest anabolic, the really bad ones are masteron,stanos (wins rol )parabolan and all dht related anabolics

hgh is proven good for hair (makes hair thicker and replace hairs )

hch,clomid,tamoxifen,..... are hair killers

I can’t stand beta alinine, makes me feel like I was rolling around in the grass.

View my thread

There's no conclusive evidence that it does, and anecdotally I didn't notice much of a difference in hair fall after starting creatine. However, I have also been on Finasteride most of that time and that may have had some impact.

My theory: if normal creatine dosages are linked to elevated DHT, creatine might accelerate your hair loss if DHT is the primary culprit behind your MPB. However, as we have established multiple times with DHT inhibitors, DHT is not necessarily the lone cause in many cases of MPB.

9 hours ago, Mycroft said:

There's no conclusive evidence that it does, and anecdotally I didn't notice much of a difference in hair fall after starting creatine. However, I have also been on Finasteride most of that time and that may have had some impact.

My theory: if normal creatine dosages are linked to elevated DHT, creatine might accelerate your hair loss if DHT is the primary culprit behind your MPB. However, as we have established multiple times with DHT inhibitors, DHT is not necessarily the lone cause in many cases of MPB.

I’m more inclined to believe that Prostaglandin D2 is much more damaging to hair than DHT.

I took creatine for about a month. I remember I was already in the process of losing my hair so I have researched whether not creatine can cause hair loss and was happy to read that it didn’t. Of course, I was hoping that it did because since I was losing my hair around the same time, I could’ve blamed it on creatine and just stopped it. But since that wasn’t the case, I kept losing my hair due to male pattern baldness.   

Thanks for sharing Melvin. 

Bill