Trt and finasteride

A little bit about myself:
In 2005, when I was 18 years, I got my first hairtransplant from Dr. Karamikian. It was an unknown amount of grafts.

In 2012 I did smp into the FUT scar at a beauty salon and the ink eventually bled and turned green.

In 2013 I had 200 FUE into said FUT scar.

In 2018 I got my second FUT hair transplant. At this time I was a norwood 3 vertex. I had approximately 2500 grafts implanted in the frontal band. The old scar was excised and Karamikian’s micrograft disaster was corrected.

In 2019, 1 week ago, I went for my third FUT hair transplant. Approximately 1350 to thicken up the frontal band and 400 into the crown.

I am currently 31 years old. I have been on TRT since 2012 below my doctor’s recommended dose. I am prescribed 200mg/week but I only take 40mg/week, the reason being I do not want the testosterone to convert into DHT causing more hair loss. I have bloodwork done every 3 months and my testosterone is on the lower end of normal range. Aside from slight weight gain in my abdomen, I feel fine and do not have any side effects.

My question is, will starting finasteride at 1mg/day and increasing my dose to the prescribed amount of 200mg/week reduce the DHT enough to prevent hair loss and offset any potential finasteride side effects. I know my situation is unique, but I am wondering if there is anyone in the forum who has had any experience like I have had or any knowledge on the subject.

When I brought up the topic of finasteride to my HT doc and my TRT doc they both stated there are potential side effects with the drug.

Does the finasteride at 1mg decrease dht 80% in the body no matter how much exogenouse testosterone is introduced? All I can find on the effects of different finasteride doses on DHT levels are attached on these two graphs.

ACCD6D1A-BDD0-4DE1-AADA-0F273EB6F117.jpeg

D37FD0B3-2E5A-4ABF-8490-608FA3EC559A.jpeg

• 1 year later...

This is an interesting topic, trying to raise testosterone and use finasteride or even dutasteride to help inhibit the additional DHT conversion that would result. But I think the key unknown variable is the genetic DHT sensitivity that your hair follicles have been programmed with. Other than genetically testing each individual follicle I wonder if there is some other way to genetically gauge regions of your head, etc?  If there was I would imagine someone would be selling the tests by now. So the best you can probably do is trial and error adjustments with your doctor and judge the results by visually inspecting your hair.