Concealing A Hair Transplant After Surgery

• Administrators

Hey Guys,

What are some of the ways you guys concealed your hair transplant? My first procedure I wore a hat for a few months. But the second procedure I used hair fibers. I would love to hear your guys input.

Concealing Your Hair Transplant Immediately After Surgery? Read This First!

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

i'm interested to hear people's stories. also, i feel like it would be helpful for ppl to know how to deal with security checkpoints when traveling for procedures post op. i think i read somewhere that a guy wore a bandana and they only made him take it off once or twice as opposed to wearing a hat.

Since my entire head was shaved for my 1st procedure and I had never done that before, I decided to work from home as long as I could - obviously worked that out with my job beforehand - wore a hat alot when going outside. Then just kept everything short and even as things started to grow. By the time I went back to work it just looked like I decided to get a really really short haircut - a little shocking to some at first, but then everyone gets over it, and the self consciousness really starts to subside. Honestly, it was also very refreshing to have a buzz cut and not have to deal with styling etc. Just a breeze in the mornings with in and out of shower, towel dry hair, and get on with your day ..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brickellmoto said:

i'm interested to hear people's stories. also, i feel like it would be helpful for ppl to know how to deal with security checkpoints when traveling for procedures post op. i think i read somewhere that a guy wore a bandana and they only made him take it off once or twice as opposed to wearing a hat.

I flew to Canada from NJ for my procedure, so when going back home a few days after surgery, I just wore an oversized cap. I took it off when going thru security checkpoints, got a quick stare or glance from security personnel and just moved on. The one thing I did not anticipate was making sure you put your A-cell spray in a travel size bottle. Remember you still need to spray your grafts every hour of so by this time to keep them moist, and apparently my bottle was not the right size and security took it from me. Fortunately, my flight was less than 2 hours, but just something to keep in mind when traveling back home from surgery if you're flying.

Thankfully, I was able to wear a hat at work so I was able to conceal my hair transplant quite effectively.  However, wearing a hat for 8 hours can be a bit uncomfortable and thus, I would take it off from time to time even during the healing phase.  So I know some people were able to guess that I’ve had something done.  But at that point I really didn’t care.  

Best wishes,

Bill

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Hey Guys,

What are some of the ways you guys concealed your hair transplant? My first procedure I wore a hat for a few months. But the second procedure I used hair fibers. I would love to hear your guys input.

What do u do for work? A lot of places don’t allow you to wear hats

my current bartending job allows us to wear hats or whatever the hell we really want to be honest, as long as we wear a tee or garment of clothing that says the name of the place. only drawback to this is that i'm also in drama school as well and the teacher doesn't allow us to wear hats in class for whatever reason. apparently professional actors don't wear hats idk. i'm sure if i let him know that i'll be getting a procedure done thats going to leave an unsightly scar for a few months i could get away with it

1 hour ago, brickellmoto said:

i'm also in drama school as well and the teacher doesn't allow us to wear hats in class for whatever reason.

Then simply ACT like you have a full head of hair....

• Haha 3

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, jj51702 said:

What do u do for work? A lot of places don’t allow you to wear hats

My first hair transplant I worked in a lax office wear I could wear hats. However, i changed jobs and had to wear concealer the second time.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

21 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Hey Guys,

Man up, it’s nothing to be embarrassed about, people are not stupid they have an idea what’s going on. Be proud of your surgery. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Raker said:

Man up, it’s nothing to be embarrassed about, people are not stupid they have an idea what’s going on. Be proud of your surgery. 

It would be nice if people were honest. That said, the majority of the community don’t want to have their procedures public. That’s why this topic is important. 

View my thread

2 hours ago, Raker said:

Man up

That's probably gonna fall on deaf ears considering pretty much everyone here has heard some variation of: "Man up and just shave your head".

For me, I returned to work approximately 3 weeks after an FUE and it was very noticeable, mainly the redness in the donor. Tried toppik and dermmatch but couldn't get it to look natural and I didn't like the idea of putting products on my head when it was obviously still healing.

People stared but no one said anything. I talked with a co-worker about it and he just shrugged and said "yeah I was wondering what that was" and then went back to doing what he was doing.

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, baldlivesmatter said:

That's probably gonna fall on deaf ears considering pretty much everyone here has heard some variation of: "Man up and just shave your head".

So true, I mean if we “man up” we wouldn’t even be on this site or have a hair transplant. 

• Like 1

View my thread

Since Dr. Diep ( or one of his tech's) shaved just the front half of my head, and a strip in the back for the FUT, no way could I go anywhere like that. Once home I shaved off the rest of it and wore a hat everywhere for about three months. 

Edited by SWdan

• 3 weeks later...

I took two weeks off work, and then the third week I worked from home. After that, I went to work with no hat or concealer - I had FUE and the healing was complete by the end of the 3 weeks. My hair was shaved short, literally everyone in the office asked me (about 80 people). I just said I wanted a change. Got a few strange looks, and I think a guy figured it out when he came and stood over me to ask me something, I reacted to his presence and viewpoint and I think he could tell I was embarrassed so he never said anything to me or to anyone else. Most people don't want to embarrass you if they figure it out. Remember, most people are way too wrapped up in their own business to care about someone's hair. 

Security checkpoint: this was a real source of anxiety for me, as on day one I was really scared of removing my hat incase I damaged the graphs. You just get over it. I removed the hat at security and the security staff were nice and sympathetic. 

On 3/5/2019 at 4:58 AM, gettingfue said:

I took two weeks off work, and then the third week I worked from home. After that, I went to work with no hat or concealer - I had FUE and the healing was complete by the end of the 3 weeks. My hair was shaved short, literally everyone in the office asked me (about 80 people). I just said I wanted a change. Got a few strange looks, and I think a guy figured it out when he came and stood over me to ask me something, I reacted to his presence and viewpoint and I think he could tell I was embarrassed so he never said anything to me or to anyone else. Most people don't want to embarrass you if they figure it out. Remember, most people are way too wrapped up in their own business to care about someone's hair. 

Security checkpoint: this was a real source of anxiety for me, as on day one I was really scared of removing my hat incase I damaged the graphs. You just get over it. I removed the hat at security and the security staff were nice and sympathetic. 

I experienced the same anxiety at the TSA checkpoint flying back from San Jose to New Mexico.  I had my hat on, but fortunately they never asked me to remove it.