Official Thread: Have you experienced side effects from finasteride? (Poll)

In your opinion, have you experienced side effects from finasteride?  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Administrators

It's a lot more than I expected tbh. I thought most guys on here didn't have side effects.

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

To trust a pharmaceutical corporation to submit 100% true and accurate data on a drug they sell and promote, based on studies they pay for and sponsor then get the approval to sell said drug by lobbying ($$$$) those in a government agency....Then...I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you real cheap.

Its very common for pharmaceutical corporations to cherry-pick which data they like, submit and publish from the studies they pay for to get favorable approval, in fact, many doctors & scientists have said so as whistleblowers.

I don’t believe for a second that their claims that the side effect percentage it’s quite low.

Curious as to what percentage of those of us who have experienced side effects continue to use the medication anyway. I have a feeling that for a lot of guys, they may experience sides, but they're so mild/inconsequential that they continue to take it anyway. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Administrators
2 hours ago, pkipling said:

Curious as to what percentage of those of us who have experienced side effects continue to use the medication anyway. I have a feeling that for a lot of guys, they may experience sides, but they're so mild/inconsequential that they continue to take it anyway. 

I’m actually shocked to see the numbers tbh. Based on this small pool it’s about 50%. That could be true, but if the side effects aren’t noticeable, it’s not bad.

In my years on this forum every guy who said he took fin always said they had no sides, but maybe they didn’t want to publicly admit it. That’s what it seems like now.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I’m actually shocked to see the numbers tbh. Based on this small pool it’s about 50%. That could be true, but if the side effects aren’t noticeable, it’s not bad.

In my years on this forum every guy who said he took fin always said they had no sides, but maybe they didn’t want to publicly admit it. That’s what it seems like now.

Very true. Keep in mind though that it's a very small sample size and also isn't scientific. Not to mention, people who have experienced sides are possibly more likely to click on a poll and submit a response than those who haven't. Whether they feel a moral obligation to speak up and spare others of their fate, or if it's just human nature to voice our grievances more frequently than our victories, I think this is fairly common. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I don’t know. I’ve been following these forums for a few years now and I feel as though a surprisingly high percentage of people state they’ve had side effects to some degree. This includes those that aren’t “voicing grievances” per se, but rather just mentioning it in passing. 

This is is why I feel as though the incidence of side effects is understated in the available literature. 

2 hours ago, yesplease said:

I don’t know. I’ve been following these forums for a few years now and I feel as though a surprisingly high percentage of people state they’ve had side effects to some degree. This includes those that aren’t “voicing grievances” per se, but rather just mentioning it in passing. 

This is is why I feel as though the incidence of side effects is understated in the available literature. 

Yup, pretty accurate, imo.

the incidence of side effects is always understated in order to get a drug approved for market, like I’ve mentioned in a previous post, when a multi-national drug conglomerate can fund their own studies and “trials”, choose and pay to whom conducts them, then cherry-pick the data that looks most approval-favorable and wine & dine...err lobby, agency officials and doctors to get to market and get the money rolling in, it’s absurd to believe what they place in their drug inserts to be 100% accurate and honest.

All you have to do is look at all the drug lawsuits that have happened in the past and are happing by class-action for much more damaging and sometimes-deadly side effects that have caused patients, many times the pharmaceutical company having to shell out millions or hundreds of millions in judgments against them....but they don’t care, the’ve already made their ten’s of billions already so it’s just a ‘cost-of-doing-business’ to them.

• Like 3

I experienced sides for literally a couple of days, but I feel this may have been more-so due to a mental expectation of their occuring, as opposed to a physiological impact.

One thing to consider, is that a lot of people who may have tried fin, and had no sides, simply did not need to browse forums for answers. It's not unreasonable to assume people occupying a hair-loss forum would be those that have had to stop fin at some stage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 6:59 AM, bonkling said:

I experienced sides for literally a couple of days, but I feel this may have been more-so due to a mental expectation of their occuring, as opposed to a physiological impact.

One thing to consider, is that a lot of people who may have tried fin, and had no sides, simply did not need to browse forums for answers. It's not unreasonable to assume people occupying a hair-loss forum would be those that have had to stop fin at some stage.

I’m not so sure about this. I think it’s reasonable to assume that those who have suffered sides may be more likely to be vocal about it with forum posts, comments, etc. vs those who tolerate it well. 

However I wouldn’t say that a higher % of people who have sides would be expected to be frequenting this site in general. Plenty of people on here have never tried fin, tolerate it well or are just looking for information or support as they grapple with hairloss. I don’t see a strong case for bias in the way you describe. 

Been takin finasteride for about 10years and stopped because side effects. I also did a blood test and my prolactin went up to the sky, 10 times higher. According to several doctors it had something to do with finasteride. Took me about 2years to get back to normal. It worked hair-wise but killed my libido. There are not enough scientific studies in regards so I am surprised how easy it is being prescribed everyday.

10 hours ago, yesplease said:

I’m not so sure about this. I think it’s reasonable to assume that those who have suffered sides may be more likely to be vocal about it with forum posts, comments, etc. vs those who tolerate it well. 

However I wouldn’t say that a higher % of people who have sides would be expected to be frequenting this site in general. Plenty of people on here have never tried fin, tolerate it well or are just looking for information or support as they grapple with hairloss. I don’t see a strong case for bias in the way you describe. 

That's true, I don't feel like an assertion can be make either way, without any kind of data to support. 

I more-so suggested that polling a site that deals with hair loss, would potentially contain a higher proportion of finasteride users who have suffered sides, as opposed to a site completely unrelated to hair loss. As taking the drug with no sides can result in the slowing down, even cessation of hair loss in certain instances.  

For instance, I saw a poll on Reddit about two months ago, asking about Fin, and the responses were by far mostly positive. Too many variables to consider, though.

Post Finasteride Syndrome (PFS) is real and many people suffer from it 

I don't really like to talk about it but Finasteride permanently messed me up the first time I used it about 15yrs ago and with in those 15yrs till now I've seen some of the best doctors on the planet and no-ones been able fix me. 

1 minute ago, Markee said:

Post Finasteride Syndrome (PFS) is real and many people suffer from it 

I don't really like to talk about it but Finasteride permanently messed me up the first time I used it about 15yrs ago and with in those 15yrs till now I've seen some of the best doctors on the planet and no-ones been able fix me. 

That's horrible mate, sorry to hear.

It sounds utterly awful from what I've heard.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

Bump

View my thread

Voted yes. But still taking the drug. Planning a hair Transplant. Has definitely slowed hair loss considerably. Taking it EOD helps but still not 100% pre finasteride.

Getting this topical CB anti androgen fda approved could be huge. Similar effect to Finasteride without side effects. 

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators

Bumping this thread, I would love to get more submissions. 

View my thread