FUE on grey hair

• Moderators

On most skin tones, grey hair or very light colored hair is harder for the Dr to see exactly where it is coming out of the scalp from which makes lining up the punch tool a bit more difficult compared with darker hair. Darker hair (unless your skin tone is also very dark) is easy to see the spot it protrudes from the skin from.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Gray hair? Congratulations! There is more to this than just talk about how difficult it is for the clinical staff to do the work.  

Typically, if you have dark hair and lighter scalp, there is lots of contrast and the thinning becomes more pronounced.  If you are blond or have white hair, consider yourself lucky.  Less contrast, it looks like you have a fuller set of hair.

While it is true that doing the work is a bit more difficult, it is doable, particularly for those that have experience.  If it truly is an issue, color your hair prior to the procedure.  Eventually all will return to its true color.

Have you had previous work?  How do you know that you have no give in the donor area?  Did you visit with a doctor?

Not sure about the transection rate.  The main issue is the fact that white hair is more difficult to see.

1 hour ago, jj51702 said:

I believe some doctors will dye the hair prior to the extraction so they can see the hairs/direction easier

This is true and greatly helps with aligning the punches in the extraction process.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

3 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Have you had previous work?  How do you know that you have no give in the donor area?  Did you visit with a doctor?

Yes, I had one FUT already (3,900 grafts).  But my laxity is horrible now, I feel very little elasticity

13 minutes ago, Shera said:

As mentioned earlier, dying the hair before surgery is the simplest option. Been there myself, no issues whatsoever

Can I please ask which hair dye you used??  Brand name??

I have grey hair but its naturally light brown

7 minutes ago, Westview said:

Can I please ask which hair dye you used??  Brand name??

I have grey hair but its naturally light brown

Prior to my surgery Dr Bhatti's team used their own dye, haven't a clue what the name was, but worked a treat.

When I occasionally dye my hair I use Schwarzkopf Live, comes in all different colours and each box lasts about 5-6 applications.

I actually just use the black (no 99) but may experiment with other brighter colours now that I approach my mid life crisis!

Edited by Shera
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I have a lot of grey hair and I almost always use Just For Men hair color. I also simply dyed my hair the day before surgery as the Dr said doing that would make it easier for him and we would probably get a better yield because he would be able to see the hairs better. No real issues if you just dye it.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

50 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I have a lot of grey hair and I almost always use Just For Men hair color. I also simply dyed my hair the day before surgery as the Dr said doing that would make it easier for him and we would probably get a better yield because he would be able to see the hairs better. No real issues if you just dye it

So your surgeon did a FUE on your grey hair??How many grafts did he get, and what was his transcetion rate??

On 2/8/2019 at 1:26 PM, Westview said:

Yes, I had one FUT already (3,900 grafts).  But my laxity is horrible now, I feel very little elasticity

Oh, I see.  Well, this is common...to feel tightness.  Have the doctor look at it and tell you if he feels you have elasticity left.  Often I find patients feeling the same way you do only to find that they still have plenty.  There are also exercises you can do to improve elasticity.  Have the doctor show you.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:21 PM, Westview said:

I heard from 2 doctors that its very difficult (if not impossible) to get the hair colouring all the way down to the roots (which is the most important part)

The doctor is looking for the angulation and direction of the hair shafts.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

It depends on the surgeon, some do and some feel that as long as they can see the direction of angulation of the hair shafts, that provides enough.

Gillenator

The patient should not be worrying about dying the hair if the plan is for a buzz-cut FUE harvest.  Dying long hair that will be clipped is pointless as the hair will continue to grow after it is dyed.  If the procedure is a few days after the dye, all that will be left for the surgeon to see will be a white stubble.  Also, even professional dyes have a hard time getting to the base of the hair shaft.  The surgical team should dye the white stubble after buzzing and before harvesting.  This easily colors the stubble to show hair direction and angle, thereby making extraction as easy as with dark hair.  The attached file shows snow-white hair which was dyed immediately prior to the harvest.  The hair shafts are quite easy to see.

dye.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dr. Raymond Konior said:

The patient should not be worrying about dying the hair if the plan is for a buzz-cut FUE harvest.  Dying long hair that will be clipped is pointless as the hair will continue to grow after it is dyed.  If the procedure is a few days after the dye, all that will be left for the surgeon to see will be a white stubble.  Also, even professional dyes have a hard time getting to the base of the hair shaft.  The surgical team should dye the white stubble after buzzing and before harvesting.  This easily colors the stubble to show hair direction and angle, thereby making extraction as easy as with dark hair.  The attached file shows snow-white hair which was dyed immediately prior to the harvest.  The hair shafts are quite easy to see.

dye.jpg

What if I dye the hair the night before the surgery??

Also, whats the brand name of the dye that you are referring to, please??

I specifically asked my clinic this question prior to my fue procedure since I have a good amount of grey/white hair and if It would be a problem for the procedure or if I should dye my hair 24-hours prior....they informed me with a No, it wouldn’t be an issue and no need to dye it.

3 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

I specifically asked my clinic this question prior to my fue procedure since I have a good amount of grey/white hair and if It would be a problem for the procedure or if I should dye my hair 24-hours prior....they informed me with a No, it wouldn’t be an issue and no need to dye it.

How did your transplant work out??  Give us some details, please

3 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

How did your transplant work out??  Give us some details, please