Should I have asked to correct my mature hairline when doing the HT?

I had HT surgery a couple months ago, so it's still early to know how it went. But one thing I'm wondering/maybe regretting is not having asked to fix my receding hairline. 

My main problem has always been lack of density, and that's what I wanted to correct. But now that (post-HT) I'm wearing my hair buzzed, you can also see a Widow's Peak / mature hairline.

Being that I didn't have short hair when I went to do the procedure, I kinda followed along when the doctor draw my hairline just following what I already had. He didn't lower the hairline at all.

If I were to do it again I'd ask to have the hairline drawn along the red lines.

What's your take on lowering or keeping the hairlines intact in cases like mine? Did I miss my big change? I'm in my early 30s, by the way.

ED64F271-9EFC-4FD7-9208-87757046B7B3.jpeg

Edited by clerksband

If you transplant hair into the area you've marked, that hair will stay but you'll continue to lose native hair behind it. So in the future you may end up with a situation where you have a hairline but the there's not much behind it. Also by lowering the hairline, you in affect increase the total area on top of the head that needs covering. If not on meds to keep hold of your native hair, this could be problematic as you only have so much donor hair to go round. Early 30s is still fairly young and there's a good chance you'll continue to lose hair.

A good surgeon will be able to give you a more accurate opinion but I'm just of the thinking that if one is not on med's, you need to play the percentages somewhat and maybe extending the area on top that needs covering by lowering the hairline isn't the best of ideas especially at a younger age. Not saying guys don't do it, but without meds, personally think it's something you should be aware of.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Fozzie. Obviously, I don't plan on any touch up or second surgery at the moment. I want to see how it grows first.

But keeping on playing this hypothetical game, don't you think that, with the area to cover on the temples being so small, the amount of hairs necessary is not a big deal?

4 hours ago, clerksband said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Fozzie. Obviously, I don't plan on any touch up or second surgery at the moment. I want to see how it grows first.

But keeping on playing this hypothetical game, don't you think that, with the area to cover on the temples being so small, the amount of hairs necessary is not a big deal?

i think he's basically saying you could end up looking like friar tuck if you only transplant the front and not go on fin, as you'll lose the native hair behind it and grafts being limited.

No, your hairline is perfect. Don't mess with it. It looks good and age perfect for your age. Why mess with it? Lowering it will not add anything to your looks from where it is. There are practical reasons mentioned not to lower it. But from just a cosmetic point of view I don't see any reason to lower it either. it's fine.

14 hours ago, brickellmoto said:

i think he's basically saying you could end up looking like friar tuck if you only transplant the front and not go on fin, as you'll lose the native hair behind it and grafts being limited.

I'd say my hair has been more or less stable for the last 7 or 8 years. All the thinning happened in my early 20s and then it stayed the same. I doubt that little area in the temples would make much of a difference in depleting the donor area. 

Also, it's a pattern quite common in my family.