HT or hair system

harry1234

Hello everyone, i really need some advice on deciding which solution to opt out for my hairloss , HT or Hair system?

I have been doing some research on hair systems for a month or so and reading most of the threads on the hair system on this platform. I even went to Custom Hair salon in my area to get to know the pricing details. one of them suggested Hair club and i even had my free consultation scheduled for tomorrow. i came back to this forum to search for reviews on Hair club salon and found some bad ones. I happened to clink on this link to read the review but after reading the comments i am worried whether i am doing the right thing by going through hair system way or not?

below is the thread am taking about

It really depends on you...your goals, your budget, your comfort zone. Years ago I was treated well at Hair Club For Men. They were professional, and their salon had excellent, friendly, helpful hairdressers. The system looked great and was easy to care for. My problem was I could never get used to the fact I was wearing a system. People didnt stare or know it was a system, it was the fact that I knew. However obviously many guys can deal with it and find it within their comfort zone. It just wasn't in mine. One thing great about a system is you can get whatever denisty that looks age appropriate for you. There is no limit or extra cost for going with a thick head of hair. I tried it and it wasn't for me. I prefer hair transplants and their "realness" even-though they rarely will provide the denisty of a hair system. If you go with a hair system I think the key is go with a good one....iow don't buy just on price....and make sure you style it and pick a density that is age appropriate. When systems are obvious many times it's because it's low quality and some 60 year old guy has a system that is way too thick trying to look like he has hair like a 25 year old.

Edited by Shampoo
  • Like 1

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Harry,

Post some pictures up of your scalp and the forum will soon let you know if hair transplant is a viable option for you.

There may be other options too, everything will be clearer when we see your pics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Moderators
On 6/26/2019 at 6:31 AM, Mathew Washington said:

A hair system on the other hand is a hassle free alternative to hair loss.

It is definitely NOT hassle free. The hair will constantly be getting dried out and you will get a lot of split ends that you can't get rid of because the hair doesn't grow, so you can't cut the ends off and let it grow back in. Then you will always be wondering if anyone can tell that your hair is a wig. After each encounter with someone you run to a bathroom mirror to see if the front is coming up or noticeable to check if they knew, especially if they look up at your hairline. I absolutely hated wearing a hair system.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 1 year later...
On 7/22/2019 at 12:08 PM, BeHappy said:

It is definitely NOT hassle free. The hair will constantly be getting dried out and you will get a lot of split ends that you can't get rid of because the hair doesn't grow, so you can't cut the ends off and let it grow back in. Then you will always be wondering if anyone can tell that your hair is a wig. After each encounter with someone you run to a bathroom mirror to see if the front is coming up or noticeable to check if they knew, especially if they look up at your hairline. I absolutely hated wearing a hair system.

Bottom line is both HT's and Hair pieces have advantages and disadvantages, we all could list them.  I certainly wouldn't do hair clubs as they all seem to be very expensive and most people go down the custom route and save themselves lots of money.  

It really is something that you have to answer yourself you really shouldn't be asking people whether you should wear or have a HT you should be the one to decide as lots of people will say wear and lots of people will say HT.

But the most important thing is to research.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 7:08 AM, BeHappy said:

This really hits home with me. I've studied and researched hair systems for the better part of the last 2-3 years. No doubt they've come a long way from the days of the brutal looking toupee's. They can look absolutely 100% undetectable today if done right. Unfortunately that still doesn't change the fact that you are in fact wearing hair and yes there is maintenance required and yes it can be a hassle (i.e. Better make sure you got a hat or bandana on at the beach on that 90 degree day).

But for me I feel I would just have general anxiety or paranoia about having it on, people possibly noticing something being "off", and the overall idea that at the end of the day I am wearing fake hair. Having that "don't give a F" mentality works for a lot of people, but it can only go so far with certain things. I'd be much more comfortable if I at least had a real hairline up front and could maybe wear a system behind it, but a complete full topper always kinda wondering if my hairline looks sharp and clean anytime I leave the house or the next day after a clean up I just don't think I could do it.

Edited by SD1984
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

At the end of the day what it really comes down to is your personality. I wore a hair piece for 25 years. Mostly to conceal a terrible scar along my hairline as much as my baldness. If you go down the path of wearing a hair system you HAVE TO OWN IT. You also don't have to spend thousands as some places would lead you to believe. I told all of my friends that I was going to have a hair system. I even had a 'hair party where everyone came with a crazy wig. The last thing you want is to be worrying that someone will pick up that you are wearing a hair piece. It can be inconvenient in the Summer, at the pool, having sex!!, etc. However I am living proof that you can wear a hair piece and have fun with it. I saw it like wearing a three piece suit in many ways. I was not a candidate for a hair transplant back then and two previous surgeries had butchered my scalp. However to be honest in the end I just got sick of wearing a hair piece. In fact the last ten years of wearing it I wish I could just get rid of it and shave my head. I shaved my head once and after seeing all the scars (front and back) I stuck with the hair peice. Once SMP came around it freed me from wearing a wig. Surgery isn't an option for everyone and it has limitations. Having said that I am looking forward to having surgery with Eugenix once this Covid war settles down. But I'm digressing. A piece is not something to dismiss. However if you don't feel you have the confidence to wearing a hair piece then forget it. You will soon throw it away if you don't anyway. All the best!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SD1984 said:

This really hits home with me. I've studied and researched hair systems for the better part of the last 2-3 years. No doubt they've come a long way from the days of the brutal looking toupee's. They can look absolutely 100% undetectable today if done right. Unfortunately that still doesn't change the fact that you are in fact wearing hair and yes there is maintenance required and yes it can be a hassle (i.e. Better make sure you got a hat or bandana on at the beach on that 90 degree day).

But for me I feel I would just have general anxiety or paranoia about having it on, people possibly noticing something being "off", and the overall idea that at the end of the day I am wearing fake hair. Having that "don't give a F" mentality works for a lot of people, but it can only go so far with certain things. I'd be much more comfortable if I at least had a real hairline up front and could maybe wear a system behind it, but a complete full topper always kinda wondering if my hairline looks sharp and clean anytime I leave the house or the next day after a clean up I just don't think I could do it.

Yeah like everything in life wearing suits some people doesn't suit others, that's a given.  People do keep mentioning hairlines but how many people get really close when they talk to you?  How many stare at someone's hair when they speak to them?  Plus plenty of people wear and don't expose their hair line at all solves that issue.

1 hour ago, ssimpson7511 said:

Yeah like everything in life wearing suits some people doesn't suit others, that's a given.  People do keep mentioning hairlines but how many people get really close when they talk to you?  How many stare at someone's hair when they speak to them?  Plus plenty of people wear and don't expose their hair line at all solves that issue.

Truth is most men, at least for the average western white male, look best with an exposed hairline. I remember there was a recent article, maybe it was GQ, on the top 10 most popular hairstyles for men and literally every single one of them had an exposed hairline. Me personally, I simply don't look that great with a combed down/fringe look. 

And while sure the average person doesn't stare at a persons hair during conversation, my point was there likely will come that day where something is ever so slightly off with your system/hairline which WOULD in turn draw the attention of someone. Will they call you out on it? Probably not. But if they do, the wearer better have an excuse ready to go. 

19 hours ago, SD1984 said:

Truth is most men, at least for the average western white male, look best with an exposed hairline. I remember there was a recent article, maybe it was GQ, on the top 10 most popular hairstyles for men and literally every single one of them had an exposed hairline. Me personally, I simply don't look that great with a combed down/fringe look. 

And while sure the average person doesn't stare at a persons hair during conversation, my point was there likely will come that day where something is ever so slightly off with your system/hairline which WOULD in turn draw the attention of someone. Will they call you out on it? Probably not. But if they do, the wearer better have an excuse ready to go. 

I actually prefer the look of hairstyles that don't have an exposed hairline, well its a mixture really as there only so may styles you can have either way.  I wouldn't take what a certain magazine says is or isn't 'cool' as another magazine would probably say the opposite or the next year styles have changed and the list is totally different.

But if you do completely expose the hairline then yes you'd have to know what your doing and be confident about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I had long, curly hair when I began losing it to MPB. It was always styled forward just by the nature of the hair itself.

Yeah and I know people (not wearing pieces)who have hair brushed back that actually doesn't expose the hairline it kind of comes out the scalp at an angle if you know what I mean lol.  A bit quiffy.

Edited by ssimpson7511

Not sure about that Crickhair especially severe loss, you'd have to have very good donor hair and a very good surgeon, Besides we've all read the advantages and disadvantages of Ht's and Hair pieces so i won't bore people listing them but there are reasons why some people have HT's and some choose to wear.