important post-op word of caution that i just learned the hard way

jdimmick

Imagine you saved up thousands of dollars, took a couple weeks off work, orchestrated various fictional stories to friends/family about why you weren't going to be around for quite a while (nor answering your phone - you're in a foreign country 8000 miles away from home after all), all because you’re insecure about your hair...

Then imagine you finally get your procedure done, and on the first night you somehow, unbeknownst to you, creep the crown of your head down onto your pillow while you're sleeping, effectively dislodging 800+ grafts from the crown (when the crown, of course is the receding part of your hair that is most embarrassing to you). 

Well, that's what happened to me last night. 

Word of advice that may save someone a lot of money, but most importantly, save some mental anguish: SLEEP IN AN OFFICE CHAIR the first couple of nights after your procedure – NOT A BED. 

It's too risky, especially if you're like me and have a tendency to move around in your sleep. Plain and simple: I should've known better. I fucked up. 

When I showed up for post-op today the doctor said there's nothing we can do for another six months. I don't recall ever crying in front of anyone in my adult life, but I completely broke down and lost it. The army of cute technicians consoling me like a baby. Embarrassing beyond embarrassing. 

Throwing money into a trash can is never fun, but 99% of my grief is the ordeal getting here... and oh how I DREAD the recovery time / hiding from everyone… to think I need to do this again in 6 months is absolutely crushing.

Just wanted to vent and hopefully save at least one poor soul who might think “it’ll be okay” when trying to sleep up-right in a bed. Use my story as a lesson: it’s not worth the risk.

On a positive note: The doctor is going to do my corrective procedure in six months for FREE. A very generous offer considering I’m at fault. I don’t think many other doctors would do that. 

idiot1.jpg

idiot2.jpg

3 hours ago, jdimmick said:

Imagine you saved up thousands of dollars, took a couple weeks off work, orchestrated various fictional stories to friends/family about why you weren't going to be around for quite a while (nor answering your phone - you're in a foreign country 8000 miles away from home after all), all because you’re insecure about your hair...

Then imagine you finally get your procedure done, and on the first night you somehow, unbeknownst to you, creep the crown of your head down onto your pillow while you're sleeping, effectively dislodging 800+ grafts from the crown (when the crown, of course is the receding part of your hair that is most embarrassing to you). 

Well, that's what happened to me last night. 

Word of advice that may save someone a lot of money, but most importantly, save some mental anguish: SLEEP IN AN OFFICE CHAIR the first couple of nights after your procedure – NOT A BED. 

It's too risky, especially if you're like me and have a tendency to move around in your sleep. Plain and simple: I should've known better. I fucked up. 

When I showed up for post-op today the doctor said there's nothing we can do for another six months. I don't recall ever crying in front of anyone in my adult life, but I completely broke down and lost it. The army of cute technicians consoling me like a baby. Embarrassing beyond embarrassing. 

Throwing money into a trash can is never fun, but 99% of my grief is the ordeal getting here... and oh how I DREAD the recovery time / hiding from everyone… to think I need to do this again in 6 months is absolutely crushing.

Just wanted to vent and hopefully save at least one poor soul who might think “it’ll be okay” when trying to sleep up-right in a bed. Use my story as a lesson: it’s not worth the risk.

On a positive note: The doctor is going to do my corrective procedure in six months for FREE. A very generous offer considering I’m at fault. I don’t think many other doctors would do that. 

idiot1.jpg

idiot2.jpg

Thank you for sharing your ordeal.

That is very unfortunate. But until you have got enough donor left to redo the procedure, then it is some consolation. However, you must go through the entire hassle again - minus the finances for the procedure itself. Travelling itself is pretty expensive.

Did you not get a brief on the post operative care? 

Oh dear, I really feel for you there.

We make it crystal clear from the outset to each patient that they should sleep upright in a chair using a decent flight pillow (memory foam is more comfortable than blow up ) for support for the first and possibly second nights following surgery.

I would have thought this would be common sense too but I suppose a patient after a long tiring surgery doesn't always think straight.

Fair play to your doctor for offering to fix the problem for free, I hope over time it all works out for you.

Edited by Shera

Very unfortunate. Great gesture by your surgeon to fix for free and hope things work out well for you going forward. This is one of the things I've had concerns about if I push ahead with a procedure as I am a pretty deep sleeper. Don't think I will take any chances and will stick to sleeping in a chair with a neck pillow for at least a few days post op.