Finasteride

I"m glad I found this site. I've been worried about my hair and losing it for a long time. I've been shopping on the web and learned about Propecia, but I'm worried about all the side effects I read. I've read that people cut up a 5 mg tab which can be also help. Does anyone know if I do less then 1 mg a day if the side effects still occur. I want to stop the hair loss, but I'm not sure I want to take the meds.

www.lipogaine.com/buy-products/ sells hair loss products. So start with the shampoo and minox (one of the FDA approved treatments other than Finastride). I have a laser cap too but it didn't too anything for me so not sure.

Why don't you post hair pics so people can give better advice.

15 hours ago, Poseidon said:

I"m glad I found this site. I've been worried about my hair and losing it for a long time. I've been shopping on the web and learned about Propecia, but I'm worried about all the side effects I read. I've read that people cut up a 5 mg tab which can be also help. Does anyone know if I do less then 1 mg a day if the side effects still occur. I want to stop the hair loss, but I'm not sure I want to take the meds.

Unfortunately there's no sure way of knowing this unless you try it. You maybe one of the lucky ones and take 1mg and experience no sides at all. All comes down to the individual imo. You may want to look into starting below 1mg and slowly build up.  

As Fozzie said, there's no way to know for sure how your body will respond until you take a chance and take it. Personally, based on research, data, and just anecdotally following this forum for several years, I think it's much more likely that you won't experience sides - and I say that as someone who stopped taking it due to side effects. I used to take the 5mg tablet and cut in into 1/4s as you mentioned (although this is more to make it more affordable than anything else), and after a couple of years, I decided to stop. Even though there's a risk of side effects, the medication does work, so if you want to give it a go, my advice would be to start with a 1.25mg either daily or every other day and then take it like a vitamin and forget about it throughout the day, so as to try and prevent you creating side effects in your head that may not be there. And I suggest to do this under a doctor's supervision so they can tweak the dosage as needed should you run into any issues. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

3 hours ago, pkipling said:

As Fozzie said, there's no way to know for sure how your body will respond until you take a chance and take it. Personally, based on research, data, and just anecdotally following this forum for several years, I think it's much more likely that you won't experience sides - and I say that as someone who stopped taking it due to side effects. I used to take the 5mg tablet and cut in into 1/4s as you mentioned (although this is more to make it more affordable than anything else), and after a couple of years, I decided to stop. Even though there's a risk of side effects, the medication does work, so if you want to give it a go, my advice would be to start with a 1.25mg either daily or every other day and then take it like a vitamin and forget about it throughout the day, so as to try and prevent you creating side effects in your head that may not be there. And I suggest to do this under a doctor's supervision so they can tweak the dosage as needed should you run into any issues. 

Why did you stop?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 12:28 PM, Poseidon said:

Why did you stop?

Mild side effects. Erections weren't as strong, significantly decreased frequency of morning wood, etc. I gave it a few tries to make sure it wasn't all in my head, and reached the conclusion that it wasn't. I ultimately weighed the pros and cons and maintaining my sex life/drive was more important than slowing down my hair loss. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 3 weeks later...

I started finasteride and have had no problems!!  My sig has noticed no difference so I'll stay on it. Yes, I'ave been doing a ton of reading on this and some are legit, some are overblown. I'll see in 6 months.