Jump to content
clerksband

Who has gotten hair transplant surgery and does NOT take Finasteride?

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, VicTNYC said:

I gotta say...the fact that Willy hasn’t done anything regarding his baldness as far as I’ve read, is interesting, I mean he has the money and resources to go to the best Dr and improve his appearance but it seeems like he doesn’t give a flying fuck, even tho he is mercilessly mocked by the UK media and especially his also-balding bro...is somewhat ballsy of him.

Good on him, all the money in the world and he’s happy bald, that’s my man. Unlike the rest of us.................... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

Not to keeping going back and forth, but it would be a very interesting question to put forth to the 34,489 registered members of this forum. I’m a data driven guy. Obviously we wouldn’t get 100% participation in the poll but I’d like to see in a poll something along the lines of:

In your opinion, have you experienced side effects from finasteride?

a) yes

b) no

c) have not tried finasteride

 

Would love to see those results 

Just a friendly discussion, not a back and forth :)

 

I agree, it would be really interesting to conduct a survey on this site. I am a data driven guy as well, which is why I went on fin with the expectation I would not experience side effects.

 

don’t get me wrong,  I suspect it’s still a minority of patients that experience SEs, but I also suspect the % is a bit higher than the minuscule amount suggested by the existing literature.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hairlossPA said:

Not to keeping going back and forth, but it would be a very interesting question to put forth to the 34,489 registered members of this forum. I’m a data driven guy. Obviously we wouldn’t get 100% participation in the poll but I’d like to see in a poll something along the lines of:

In your opinion, have you experienced side effects from finasteride?

a) yes

b) no

c) have not tried finasteride

 

Would love to see those results 

I tried to create this poll two days ago since I have the same question but in the posting section it makes me add a post also alongwith a poll. 

Melvin - Can you create a standalone poll in the ques/ans forum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Panamera13 said:

I tried to create this poll two days ago since I have the same question but in the posting section it makes me add a post also alongwith a poll. 

Melvin - Can you create a standalone poll in the ques/ans forum?

A thread and poll has already been created. Look on “today’s post”


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea regarding the poll. This thread has obviously stirred reactions in several people and there seems a genuine split on support or not with Finasteride. I will head over and cast my vote after this post.

I agree with several ideas posted, and disagree with many more.

I have personally taken Finasteride for over 10 years and can genuinely say that I don't FEEL that I have ever experienced any side effects. But can I be sure, NO. Sexual side effects? No. Being over tired, unmotivated? On the odd occasion I feel this could put it down to stress at work, family life, poor food and exercise choices. 

Some guys who have experienced heavy side effects are obviously and quite rightly so, very anti Finasteride, I imagine I would be too. And therefore, due to their bitterness, they need to try and warn everybody regarding their experience. But that is exactly what it is, THEIR experience. Not yours, and not mine. 

When people say that it is impossible to not experience side effects for several years and then suddenly to begin experiencing effects as nonsense. I believe that to be quite naive. As we get older and our mind and bodies as well as our lives change, which includes weight, metabolism, stress levels, sleep levels, happiness, activity levels, cell degeneration slows etc.. to think that the results and effects of Finasteride would stay the same throughout all of these bodily changes seems ludicrous to me. Every choice we make, everything we put into our mouths, into our body will have an effect. Whether that be a more extreme insulin response after eating certain food types, therefore generating different gene expression, our bodies will them digest and react differently to medication. 

Never before has a generation taken Finasteride every day  for 20+ years. Do we know what it may or may not be doing to our bodies over the long term? - NO. But that also applies to mobile phones, Wifi, standard western diet, constant antibiotics etc. The decision is ours to make.

Do I take Finasteride ?- Yes. Despite the fact that it affects my hormonal balance? - Yes. Does this concern me as a health conscience individual? - Yes. 

So why do I take it? The same reason as everybody else. Hairloss has had such a huge impact on my life, and anything negative in my life, I try to reduce, control, stop. Does Finasteride help?- I think so. Am I making the right decision - Who knows?

We are all trying and making the best decisions that we can, right?

  • Like 1

International Patient Advisor for Bisanga and Cole Hair Transplant Clinic - Athens, Greece

Visit our website at: https://bchairtransplant.com -  Contact me directly at: bc2@bchairtransplant.com

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Rahal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had my 2nd HT. Was on Finasteride and minoxidil for first HT because of doctor's prescription however my 2nd HT I decided not to take any since I don't really have active balding and miniaturized hair and doctor didn't actively insist for me to take it. Understand it should only be taken if you have active balding or to prevent shock loss. So if you are confident of your hair, think you can most probably skip it which I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Raker said:

Good on him, all the money in the world and he’s happy bald, that’s my man. Unlike the rest of us.................... 

Yeah, I sorta think good on him also, with no fucks to give about your lost hair you can concentrate on living a plush life....especially with all their $$$.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, VicTNYC said:

Yeah, I sorta think good on him also, with no fucks to give about your lost hair you can concentrate on living a plush life....especially with all their $$$.

Probably has a wardrobe full of different wigs to turn Kate on. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to give a heads up now that it's been a couple of weeks since I stopped taking Fin: 

Not only my libido, firmness of erections and quality of orgasms keeps going up and up (hard to say if it's yet back to 100% but it's getting there) but also my mood and energy is a lot higher. Overall I'm very happy with my choice.

If you're on the fence about it, I recommend at least trying to cease the treatment for a bit and see how you feel. And then decide if it's worth it coming back or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fin sides lasted about a week, for me, and I think they occurred due to a self-placed placebo effect of sorts. I.e. the sides are bad so I'm sure I will get them.

They went away, never noticed any difference in libido. Sometimes my libido is so high that it pisses my partner off, the only thing that has ever killed it is porn if I'm honest.

You can start small, .25mg, or so, then work up. My derm has lowered my dosage from 1, to 0.5, as this lower dosage still gives me the same effect when it comes to slowing recession. 

Not saying the sides don't exist, not at all but everyone is different, and I know of people who have been on the drug for over 5 years.

Edited by bonkling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a HT about five months ago. I was very concerned with taking Propecia and told my doctor I wasn't going to do it.   My doctor told me he recommends it but also told me 75% of his clients have sides and how they are allowed to say only 5% or whatever have sides is insane.  I'm 43 with a very strong libido.  I didn't want to risk losing it.  I am only taking minoxidil spray.   Not doing Propecia.  I just remember reading threads in which people were suicidal and felt like sexless zombies and the sides never went away, or they went away temporarily and then came back even after ceasing the medication.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fin sides are real I was on it for 2 months and I noticed my sex drive was down and I want getting morning wood anymore. I stopped taking it and after like the 5th my libido came back with a vengeance, trust me, it was like when I was taking it I was surprising my sex drive.

But it all depends on how much you want to maintain your hair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, PGDMMB said:

The fin sides are real I was on it for 2 months and I noticed my sex drive was down and I want getting morning wood anymore. I stopped taking it and after like the 5th my libido came back with a vengeance, trust me, it was like when I was taking it I was surprising my sex drive.

 

The 5th day or month?

Have to say that I'm still progressing every day. I feel a lot better overall since I've stopped taking it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Djshakes said:

I had a HT about five months ago. I was very concerned with taking Propecia and told my doctor I wasn't going to do it.   My doctor told me he recommends it but also told me 75% of his clients have sides and how they are allowed to say only 5% or whatever have sides is insane.  I'm 43 with a very strong libido.  I didn't want to risk losing it.  I am only taking minoxidil spray.   Not doing Propecia.  I just remember reading threads in which people were suicidal and felt like sexless zombies and the sides never went away, or they went away temporarily and then came back even after ceasing the medication.  

This is huge! My endocrinologist told me a similar thing, that she has a lot of patients with Fin sides. Another factor is that the same doctor that prescribes you the Fin is not the same that you go complain about sides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×