Who has gotten hair transplant surgery and does NOT take Finasteride?

I had HT a couple months ago and I'm on Fin. I'm starting to experience sides (loss of libido, less erections, watery semen, less pleasure/sensitivity...) and I'm considering stopping the treatment. 

I want to hear from people who had HT surgery and currently do not take Finasteride, please answer the following:

- Did you ever take Fin post-surgery?

- If so, for how long? 

- Did you stopped due to sides? Which kind?

- Did the sides stopped too after stopping Fin? You went 100% back to normal? Did it took a while to get better?

- How has not taking Fin anymore affected your hair after the HT?

- Are you happy overall with having stopped the treatment?

Feel free to add any other insight you feel necessary.

• Administrators

I took finasteride when I was 21 stopped due to sides. Same sides you’re experiencing. I lost virtually all my hair and at 29 I got my first hair transplant. Now at 33 I’ve had 3 hair transplants in total. I’m really happy with my results. My sides went away a few months after stopping. I do remember it took a while. 

My hair is not perfect my crown is really thin I use caboki and it looks great. Not everyone is happy using concealer, so weigh the pros and cons yourself. Without finasteride plan to be as bald as genetically possible and use your grafts wisely. I do use Lipogaine, Lipogaine big 3 shampoo and azelaic acid. It does well to conserve the very little native hair I have left.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

26 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I took finasteride when I was 21 stopped due to sides. Same sides you’re experiencing. I lost virtually all my hair and at 29 I got my first hair transplant. Now at 33 I’ve had 3 hair transplants in total. I’m really happy with my results. My sides went away a few months after stopping. I do remember it took a while. 

My hair is not perfect my crown is really thin I use caboki and it looks great. Not everyone is happy using concealer, so weigh the pros and cons yourself. Without finasteride plan to be as bald as genetically possible and use your grafts wisely. I do use Lipogaine, Lipogaine big 3 shampoo and azelaic acid. It does well to conserve the very little native hair I have left.

Thanks, Melvin! This is very helpful.

A few questions:

- Did you took Fin for a long period of time?

- The 3 transplants has it been because your hair keep falling after the first one and needed to cover new areas with a 2nd (and 3rd) transplants or for another reason?

• Administrators

I took fin for a few months, not very long. I had three hair transplants because I was almost completely bald. I had FUE, so I addressed my scalp in sections. Hairline, midscalp and then crown. That said, my crown is still pretty thin, so I had to lower my expectations a bit, but I am very happy overall.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I’m taking Proscar and divide it in 5 parts.

I just scheduled a visit to the endocrinologist. Unless he tells me otherwise, I think I’ll stop the treatment and just continue with the minox. It doesn’t seem worth to kill your libido (and possible fuck up your hormones) for this. If in a few years I new another HT, so be it.

I started taking Fin leading up to my HT and took it for a couple of years, and I also stopped due to mild side effects, primarily, weaker erections. I don't remember how long it took for things to return back to normal, but they did. It's a choice I made that I am happy with. It's been 4 1/2 years since my HT, which at the time was focused primarily on my hairline. My crown has gotten a little thinner over time - but there's no way to definitely know how different that would be if I had continued with Fin. The crown is something that may need to be addressed in the future, medication or not, and so I'm just hanging tight until then. For now, I'm in no immediate need for round 2, so I'm confident in my decision to stop taking it - and ultimately chose my sex drive and sex life over hanging on to some of my hair a little bit longer. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I stopped taking Fin at the endocrinologist’s advice and oh what a change. It’s only been a few days but the difference in libido, firmness of erections, quality of orgasams and mood is very noticeable.

Anybody who says Fin sides aren’t real doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

I’m not going back there...

Edited by clerksband
  • Like 1

Did you ever take Fin post-surgery?

No.  I took finasteride between 2010 and 2014, but had side effects and ended up stopping because I got a girlfriend and needed the southern Johnson to work properly.  I got my first hair transplant in December 2018.

- If so, for how long?

As mentioned above, I was on finasteride for 4 years (but stopped taking it about 4 years before I had my hair transplant).

Yes, I stopped due to a severely decreased libido, weak erections, and watery ejaculate.

- Did the sides stopped too after stopping Fin? You went 100% back to normal? Did it took a while to get better?

It took months for the worst side effects to go away (maybe 3 months or so?).  It's difficult to say if I went 100% back to normal because I was 4 years older when I stopped taking it than I was when I started.  I feel like my libido is now around 60% of what it used to be (it was like 20-30% when I was on the medication), but some of that may be because of age (I'm 30 now and was 22 when I started).

- How has not taking Fin anymore affected your hair after the HT?

Eh, I'm not sure this will be helpful for you, as I stopped taking finasteride long before I had my HT and did not recommence use after the procedure, but.... Side effects aside, finasteride did seem to be pretty effective in slowing the hair loss significantly.  My hair continued to look reasonably good the entire time I was on it, from 2010 to 2014 (although there was still some slow degradation of my hairline), and for about two years after I stopped.  There was a noticeable shed within a month or two of stopping, but, still, things were relatively ok for a couple of years.  At the two year mark, my hair suddenly started looking a lot worse; hair was dropping off my head like a mofo and I decided to pull the trigger on the HT for a more permanent solution that didn't have side effects.

Yes.  I need to be able to live up to my responsibilities to my gf.  I'm hoping that the transplant will yield good results regardless.  

Edited by LordBaldwin

I seriously wonder if a lot of this talk of side effects of finnasteride is more mental than physical

You guys need to realize that a lot of sexual arousal is mental. If you have some kind of anxiety or fear, you will not get hard. I used to think I had some issues with finnasteride side effects - I realized it's mostly mental. If I can get very aroused now, I can get very hard.

I personally wish I started using finnasteride at 24 to 25. I probably could have saved my crown from expanding as much as it has

• Like 2

posted this in another thread, will add here for my experience with fin:

When I first noticed some hair loss at age 23, I got on finasteride from 1999-2007. I forgot about my hair by 2000. I took it like a daily vitamin. Everything was great.

I foolishly stopped in late 2007 because I tricked myself into believing that i really did not have hair loss issues. Things were that good.

I stupidly was in denial at 12 months after stopping and noticing thinner hair- I only wish I had resumed finasteride at that time.  Instead I waited for almost 2 years to resume finasteride in 2009, due to pure horror and shock, after my mom mentioned something. My hair was ravaged. I went from thick hair all over to a diffuse NW 4/5 in need of a transplant. Like the company tells you, stopping finasteride will result in your hair loss returning to where it should be very quickly for your given age.

Since back on finasteride in 2009, my hair loss once again halted, immediately.  I have undergone 2 procedures with Dr. Konior since 2017. But even now, if there was once decision in my life that i know I will always regret, it was stopping finasteride. If i had not stopped finasteride in 2007, I would not even know these forums existed. It has cost me a decade of my life obsessing about my hair. I will never go off finasteride ever again, and can accept the small and infrequent risks it carries.

Edited by TimeForAction
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, clerksband said:

I stopped taking Fin at the endocrinologist’s advice and oh what a change. It’s only been a few days but the difference in libido, firmness of erections, quality of orgasams and mood is very noticeable.

Anybody who says Fin sides aren’t real doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

I’m not going back there...

My doctor recommended cutting Proscar 5mg into quarters taking a quarter tablet every Monday, Wednesday & Friday. Giving the body a rest on Saturday & Sunday. He has already had a HT and follows his own advice. Not knowing you medication intake it’s just a thought. 

7 hours ago, AnalogFeel said:

I seriously wonder if a lot of this talk of side effects of finnasteride is more mental than physical

You guys need to realize that a lot of sexual arousal is mental. If you have some kind of anxiety or fear, you will not get hard. I used to think I had some issues with finnasteride side effects - I realized it's mostly mental. If I can get very aroused now, I can get very hard.

I personally wish I started using finnasteride at 24 to 25. I probably could have saved my crown from expanding as much as it has

I think it's the opposite, honestly. A lot of people keep on taking it even with the sides while lying to themselves. The sides are so gradual that are easy to rationalize:

- No more morning wood? Well, who needs it?

- Less libido? Who wants to be a horndog all the time! Maybe it's better having less of it.

- Weaker erections? mmm... maybe it's all in my head. Let's not precipitate to conclusions.

- Watery semen? Who cares?

- Less pleasure when cumming? Yeah... but I think I'm starting to see some new hair...

I've discovered it's not worth for me to take Fin and endure these sides (and potentially more ones in the future with continued use). 

On 1/30/2019 at 11:31 AM, clerksband said:

I had HT a couple months ago and I'm on Fin. I'm starting to experience sides (loss of libido, less erections, watery semen, less pleasure/sensitivity...) and I'm considering stopping the treatment. 

I want to hear from people who had HT surgery and currently do not take Finasteride, please answer the following:

- Did you ever take Fin post-surgery?

- If so, for how long? 

- How has not taking Fin anymore affected your hair after the HT?

Feel free to add any other insight you feel necessary.

Had a transplant just over 4 years ago ,never took fin , hair still going strong ,I personally  wouldn't go near the drug that's my choice ,plenty of guys swear by it and that's their choice , I guess I had less to gain anyway by taking the drug as most of the hair on the top of my head was pretty much gone pre -op ,in saying that some people recommended it to keep the donor as strong as possible ,but again after having 4200 FUE grafts extracted my donor looks in pretty good shape .

• Like 1

I have been taking Fin for exactly a year now (did it for 1 year 3-4 years ago as well). Libido is down, erections are weak but it happens however, I have to focus more..LOL. Earlier it happened without focusing :) .

I started Lipogaine Minox/Lipogaine Shampoo and will buy Azelaic Acid this week. 3-4 months into this new regime, I will quit FIN. I want minox to start working before getting off FIN. For me FIN sucks, I loved having morning wood.

Edited by Panamera13

I think that the whole "only 1% or so has sides" has to be bollocks. Most likely the majority of people just soldier on with resignation.

But hey, if you take Fin and everything is absolutely the same, then more power to you.

I just hope to be back to my fully normal soon after having stopped Fin.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:41 AM, clerksband said:

If in a few years I new another HT, so be it.

I'm not sure it's the "pain in the ass" aspect of getting another HT down the road that is the issue; rather, I think it's more the possibility of running out of donor area if you're full blown NW 6/7.

I think fin is good for buying time while waiting for a potential cure or better treatment.

P.S. glad to hear your crank is back to working at full capacity ;)

15 hours ago, baldlivesmatter said:

P.S. glad to hear your crank is back to working at full capacity ;)

Yeah, the effect is really really noticeable. When I was on Fin I knew my libido and erections were weaker, but I still “could get it done”, you know. Only now that I’m coming back to my previous state I realize how badly I was under Fin.

I had my HT about 7 months ago and went on 1mg Finasteride at my Docs recommendation.  At first I thought the side effects were just my imagination, and I wanted the hair more that a few extra jollies anyway.  After 4-5 months I could no longer deny the effects as you described.  Lower libido, decreases and watery semen, and less enjoyment.  I stopped taking it about a month ago and do sense those things coming back, not fully yet, but definitely improved.  I agree that everyone needs to weigh what's most important to them, but don't kid yourself into thinking there are no side effects.

On 2/4/2019 at 4:30 PM, clerksband said:

I think that the whole "only 1% or so has sides" has to be bollocks. Most likely the majority of people just soldier on with resignation.

But hey, if you take Fin and everything is absolutely the same, then more power to you.

I just hope to be back to my fully normal soon after having stopped Fin.

Agree, I would say there is a much bigger percentage in denial. 

On 2/4/2019 at 11:58 PM, clerksband said:

I think it's the opposite, honestly. A lot of people keep on taking it even with the sides while lying to themselves. The sides are so gradual that are easy to rationalize:

- No more morning wood? Well, who needs it?

- Less libido? Who wants to be a horndog all the time! Maybe it's better having less of it.

- Weaker erections? mmm... maybe it's all in my head. Let's not precipitate to conclusions.

- Watery semen? Who cares?

- Less pleasure when cumming? Yeah... but I think I'm starting to see some new hair...

I've discovered it's not worth for me to take Fin and endure these sides (and potentially more ones in the future with continued use). 

IMO from what I’ve experienced and discussed with multiple doctors that have prescribed it for me the situation is far simpler. The doctors I talked to all said it was one of their most prescribed drugs, and a few times a year they’d have a person come back mentioning side effects. Roughly a few %. This aligns with the studies suggesting anywhere from 2-8%. The truth is most people aren’t at all susceptible to any sides whatsoever, and another small group of people are extremely susceptible.

My experience was a large increase in sex drive for the first month, and back to normal after that. Over two years down the track I can’t say I’ve lost any more hair despite closing in on a NW5 as a 22 year old and I’ve experienced zero side effects. If you have sides I’d definitely come off, or maybe try 0.25mg as I have done to begin with.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JeanLDD said:

IMO from what I’ve experienced and discussed with multiple doctors that have prescribed it for me the situation is far simpler. The doctors I talked to all said it was one of their most prescribed drugs, and a few times a year they’d have a person come back mentioning side effects. Roughly a few %. This aligns with the studies suggesting anywhere from 2-8%. The truth is most people aren’t at all susceptible to any sides whatsoever, and another small group of people are extremely susceptible.

My experience was a large increase in sex drive for the first month, and back to normal after that. Over two years down the track I can’t say I’ve lost any more hair despite closing in on a NW5 as a 22 year old and I’ve experienced zero side effects. If you have sides I’d definitely come off, or maybe try 0.25mg as I have done to begin with.

Im taking 1.25 mg (splitting 5mg in four) but recently Ive started blaming everything on fin, if im freling tired or sleepy or just not feeling good, i think it may be fin. So i was thinking about taking it three times a day onstead of daily. Do you have any advice for that?

On 2/3/2019 at 11:56 PM, Raker said:

My doctor recommended cutting Proscar 5mg into quarters taking a quarter tablet every Monday, Wednesday & Friday. Giving the body a rest on Saturday & Sunday. He has already had a HT and follows his own advice. Not knowing you medication intake it’s just a thought. 

I just started taking fin 3 times a week. Hope it works for me.

7 hours ago, JeanLDD said:

Remained to be convinced on the stats, I had several consultations with doctors and strangely enough they all said the same thing, “that eveything should be okay’ I’ve had friends who also had several consultations and the response was identical. Out of the five of us two are showing signs that FIN is having a negative impact. Now don’t get me wrong ingest a drug into the body and there is always a chance of side effects. For me I will reduce the Proscar and see how things go, at least the wife no longer needs to make excuses of headaches. 

Edited by Raker
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, redlord said:

I just started taking fin 3 times a week. Hope it works for me.

Give it a go, nothing ventured nothing gained, but remember it may take a while for the existing medication to exit your body before the new reduced amount has any effect. I’ve just starting taking Minoxidil orally as I found the fluid messy and most of it ended on the pillow. Again I’ll try it and see if I notice a difference. Good luck.