Raymond Konior, MD | Chicago Hair Institute | 1940 Graft Frontal and Donor Scar Restoration

This 34 year old patient presented with a history of three prior hair restoration procedures that were performed by three different surgeons.  He was unhappy with the lack of density and patchy appearance in the prior transplant zones.  The patient also expressed concern about the visibility of his strip harvest scar.  His examination revealed very low frontal and midscalp density which was of concern in light of him having undergone three prior procedures.

Restoration of the density deficient frontal and midscalp regions, as well as the donor strip scar, was performed using a total of 1940 grafts that were obtained using an FUE harvest.  The scar was treated with 300 grafts and the frontal/midscalp regions were managed with 1640 grafts.  Presented here are preop and postop pics which demonstrate the final frontal/midscalp density and donor scar camouflage that was accomplished. 

preop.JPG

Preop Front

preop scar right.JPG

Preop Right Donor

preop scar center.JPG

Preop Center Donor

preop scar left.JPG

Preop Left Donor

postop front.JPG

Postop Front

postop top 1.JPG

Postop Top View 1

postop top 2.JPG

Postop Top View 2

postop top 3.JPG

Postop Top View 3

postop top 4.JPG

Postop Top View 4

postop right 1.JPG

Postop Right View 1

postop left 1.JPG

Postop Left View 1

postop right 2.JPG

Postop Right View 2

postop left 2.JPG

Postop Left View 2

postop right 3.JPG

Postop Right View 3

postop left 3.JPG

Postop Left View 3

postop scar center.JPG

Postop Center Donor

postop scar left.JPG

Postop Right Donor

postop scar right.JPG

Postop Left Donor

postop graft zone 5 days.JPG

Graft Placement Zone - 5 Days Postop

postop scar 5 days.JPG

Donor Scar Graft Placement - 5 Days Postop

Edited by Dr. Raymond Konior
Add Captions
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Wow incredible Dr. Konoir 🙌🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

50 minutes ago, det9925 said:

if only Lebron knew about Dr Konior...

...and Tiger Woods

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

On 1/29/2019 at 6:28 PM, Phil36fromaus said:

impeccable.

Out of curiosity is 300 grafts a normal amount to tend to a donor strip scar?

My experience shows 300 grafts to be an average amount needed for average strip scars in need of camouflage.  There are definitely cases needing fewer and some needing more, but this is a good estimate for most.  It is interesting and encouraging that most patients burdened with visible scars can eventually opt for fairly short hair styles if enough grafts are used.  I find two staged sessions are needed for most larger scars when one wants to go with the shorter hair styles.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/10/2019 at 3:33 AM, Dhyan said:

Dr k. What are the best grafts to conceal SCAR,  scalp or beard ?

There is no single best source for all patients.  Hair color and texture matches are important, and it is not uncommon for these characteristics to vary between the donor and recipient sites.  Beard hair is a good option when the scalp shows signs of donor depletion and the physical characteristics of the two zones are relatively favorable.  Hair for hair, beard is a good camouflage agent because of its high caliber.  Each patient needs to be evaluated on an individual basis to determine what is best for him or her.

• Thanks 1

If this wasn't posted by Dr. K I wouldn't have believed this result. Absolutely phenomenal.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:11 AM, Dr. Raymond Konior said:

There is no single best source for all patients.  Hair color and texture matches are important, and it is not uncommon for these characteristics to vary between the donor and recipient sites.  Beard hair is a good option when the scalp shows signs of donor depletion and the physical characteristics of the two zones are relatively favorable.  Hair for hair, beard is a good camouflage agent because of its high caliber.  Each patient needs to be evaluated on an individual basis to determine what is best for him or her.

Dr,I will reach out to the team. I may be in a similar situation as this patient 

• 4 months later...

Some type of fibers or dye looks present in these photos . The scalp is to dark in certain areas. These doctors should post without enhancements. It’s deceiving. I’m curious to see what koiner has to say about that . Although he is a great doctor but this is misleading 

• Administrators
On 9/22/2019 at 12:18 AM, Chances101 said:

Some type of fibers or dye looks present in these photos . The scalp is to dark in certain areas. These doctors should post without enhancements. It’s deceiving. I’m curious to see what koiner has to say about that . Although he is a great doctor but this is misleading 

I've looked and cant see any fibers. Dr. Konior is an ethical surgeon who would never do that.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.