Realistically, What Can A Second Hair Transplant Do For You?

Hey guys,

It's been 7 months after my op and I'm rather satisfied with my results. I now have a hairline that frames my face but still find myself getting disheartened when I critically examine the density in a mirror. From a social distance, I appear to have a full head of hair but up close and in a mirror, it appears gappy especially when I view it from the bottom up.

I'm a perfectionist and I've also heard several times that a single procedure is unlikely to give you a very dense result. My question is; assuming you've had a densely packed result from the first procedure, how significant of an impact can a second procedure make when transplanting into the same area? I know native density is unrealistic because of donor availability, but for my age (23), I am really hoping for a result that is as dense as possible.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

If ur first ht worked for u .. then adding more hair to add density seems to make sense .. u didn’t pay money to be okay with results .. if it’s bothering u now .. it’s going to bother u for years to come .. I think implanting into existing transplanted hair is safer than native hair .. since the transplanted hair is stronger n more durable .. n since the blood supply is already established .. the shockloss will be minimal .. 

3 hours ago, Leftwithrope said:

Hey guys,

It's been 7 months after my op and I'm rather satisfied with my results. I now have a hairline that frames my face but still find myself getting disheartened when I critically examine the density in a mirror. From a social distance, I appear to have a full head of hair but up close and in a mirror, it appears gappy especially when I view it from the bottom up.

I'm a perfectionist and I've also heard several times that a single procedure is unlikely to give you a very dense result. My question is; assuming you've had a densely packed result from the first procedure, how significant of an impact can a second procedure make when transplanting into the same area? I know native density is unrealistic because of donor availability, but for my age (23), I am really hoping for a result that is as dense as possible.

Thanks

The transplanted hair usually takes one year for complete show up. After the procedure, one should wait atlesat for a year for the second hair transplant to be done in between the newly grown hair. As you have mentioned, the newly grown hair of 7 months are cosmetically acceptable to you, but you being one perfectionist, need more density. It is fair enough. Since it is only 7 months post surgery, there is a chance that 20-30% hair might still be on their way.

The math’s of hair says, 50% of the native density of pre-bald hair is enough to provide the illusion of density of 100% hair. So during hair transplantation 50% density is attempted for many reasons: not to induce vascular compromise due to too much dense packing of the grafts, not to induce necrosis of the skin due to multiple close wounds, and ultimately to have a proper growth. 

But once the hair are grown, if you want to augment the density then you can do so after completion of 12 months of the first transplant. Age have nothing to do with second sitting timing. Please let us know if you have any more queries to be answered scientifically.

• Like 2

Thank you for your reply, Dr Sethi and Dr Bansal.

I understand that density often has to be limited due to the complications you mentioned. However, if the goal of achieving high density is split into 2 sessions, will these complications be avoidable? Also, are there any complications for a second hair transplant surgery that isn't widely known?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Dr. Sethi & Dr. Bansal said:

The transplanted hair usually takes one year for complete show up. After the procedure, one should wait atlesat for a year for the second hair transplant to be done in between the newly grown hair. As you have mentioned, the newly grown hair of 7 months are cosmetically acceptable to you, but you being one perfectionist, need more density. It is fair enough. Since it is only 7 months post surgery, there is a chance that 20-30% hair might still be on their way.

The math’s of hair says, 50% of the native density of pre-bald hair is enough to provide the illusion of density of 100% hair. So during hair transplantation 50% density is attempted for many reasons: not to induce vascular compromise due to too much dense packing of the grafts, not to induce necrosis of the skin due to multiple close wounds, and ultimately to have a proper growth. 

But once the hair are grown, if you want to augment the density then you can do so after completion of 12 months of the first transplant. Age have nothing to do with second sitting timing. Please let us know if you have any more queries to be answered scientifically.

Great post. I wish the other recommended doctors would post helpful and informative information like this. 

Up to how many months post op can one see new sprouts still appear (not maturing of hair just new sprouts)

5 hours ago, Leftwithrope said:

Thank you for your reply, Dr Sethi and Dr Bansal.

I understand that density often has to be limited due to the complications you mentioned. However, if the goal of achieving high density is split into 2 sessions, will these complications be avoidable? Also, are there any complications for a second hair transplant surgery that isn't widely known?

Thank you.

We don't recommend doing 2 sessions for density.

If grafts are limited we should do a smaller area with desired density first and later on do the remaining area. 

No rare specific complications of 2nd sitting are there.

7 hours ago, literalno said:

How many pop out after 6 months?

In our hands (our handling of the grafts is very minimalistic, we don't crush the grafts, we use "No Root Touch" policy), by 6 months more than 60% hair are grown. Since we plant the grafts as soon as possible by our "DHT" (Direct Hair transplantation) technique, which is a modified version of the FUE technique along with No Root Touch method, in many cases a lot percentage of our planted grafts grow directly without shedding of the grafts initially which is an accepted phenomenon called as "Telogen Effluvium".

22 minutes ago, Dr. Sethi & Dr. Bansal said:

In our hands (our handling of the grafts is very minimalistic, we don't crush the grafts, we use "No Root Touch" policy), by 6 months more than 60% hair are grown. Since we plant the grafts as soon as possible by our "DHT" (Direct Hair transplantation) technique, which is a modified version of the FUE technique along with No Root Touch method, in many cases a lot percentage of our planted grafts grow directly without shedding of the grafts initially which is an accepted phenomenon called as "Telogen Effluvium".

Is there any specific reason why you guys don’t do FUT?