1200 FUE Dr. Konior on January 23, 2019

Previous thread on first procedure with Dr. K with sole goal to rebuild the frontal zone:

Second procedure on January 23, 2019, approx 1200 grafts:

-400 in the front to lower hairline and address left temporal recession

-200 feathered behind and through mid scalp  

-600 on crown which were multiple hair grafts.

Doc spent a lot of time this time around laying out the days plan, drew a lot of lines and took a lot of photos since we were 'refining' and not 'rebuilding' the front  - eventually came up with the idea of a subtle widows peak to address my desire to lower the hairline + address left temporal recession with minimal graft usage. Needless to say, I was thrilled with the plan, it looks absolutely fantastic in the mirror, and now my fingers are crossed for good health and growth moving forward.  

Fully expect there will be a 3rd procedure down the road given my extensive crown loss (see prior thread), although everyone at the clinic seemed more optimistic and to said give it time. 

I am postop day 5 here are some pics- as expected the work is clean, negligible discomfort if any, minimal redness  and i have been out and about doing stuff-  pretty much nobody would really be able to tell at a quick glance that I just had a surgical procedure, except for the fading marker lines on my head!

postop5-backdonor-crown.jpeg

postop5-crown.jpeg

postop5-hairline.jpeg

postop5-hairline2.jpeg

postop5-leftdonor.jpeg

postop5-right.jpeg

postop5-rightdonor.jpeg

postop5-scalp.jpeg

left-postop5.jpeg

Edited by TimeForAction

Thanks for the new thread.

Everything looks real good so far, man he really makes 12 or 16 hundred grafts go a long way.

I like your approach, of going with smaller numbers of grafts per surgery.

Keep us updated and Thanks again. Happy growing!!!!

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback. And thanks to all those who talked about the hair loss 'journey', I really cannot thank you enough- its not a one and done sprint for most of us. So glad I understood that before i made some wrong decisions.

Regarding wait time with Dr. Konior, yes it is still about a year, even with a second procedure. OF COURSE I wanted to schedule another procedure right away- I even asked!   But he told me to wait 6 months before deciding.  Looking back I think its optimal to give it at as long as possible between procedures, as for myself it made me feel much better about the donor having some time to recover more than anything else. 

Dr. K was able to move me up from April 2019 to January 2019, so it ended up being 9 months wait for me after we decided on a second procedure-, and about 16 months total after my first procedure.

Edited by TimeForAction

Looks like your hair is of decent thickness/caliber so no doubts you will get some solid results from this!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 2 weeks later...

POD 17

Everything going per normal, some shedding has begun,  except one difference I noted compared to last procedure:

Probably the postop part that made me most gross out on my first procedure-  were all the tiny scabs that would come off in the donor area which I applied the trip antibiotic cream for the first 7 days. Last time, Dr. K extracted manually.  In the end the donor was great regardless, and I was able to buzz right down to 0a guard (see previous thread) without any sign  so clearly Dr. K did a great job manually.

However this time, there have been ZERO scabs to come off my donor area. This has shocked me.  In this procedure, Dr. K used a tool to extract the donor (which he mentioned was from belgium- see 1978matt thread about his comments on belgian clinic). It appears this tool gives incredibly clean extraction given my absolute complete absence of donor scabs! Totally shocked by this, hopefully this tool gives great extraction and subsequent growth.  In addition, I have not noted any donor shock loss at all, which I did have some minor last time. 

Edited by TimeForAction

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Baldrick101 said:

Almost entirely scab free and clean at 5 days. Did you irrigate constantly to achieve this? Immaculate work, it really is. 

Edit: OK just read the post about the tool. Interesting! 

No I really didn't do anything other than saline spray every few hours through the day. The clinic did some cleaning the first few days of the donor, but it was nothing exciting, they said there was not much to clean anywhere.  On my day 5 pics that I posted, this was before any water had run over the top of my scalp, as I had just returned home.

I am now post op a month, Nothing too exciting to report (obviously). I would say I lost 75-80 percent of hairs, as expected.

Look forward to month 3 and beyond...  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 11:51 AM, TimeForAction said:

4 months postop

#2 on top and #1 on sides

thanks !

IMG_9314.JPEG

IMG_9264.JPEG

IMG_9270.JPEG

IMG_9273.JPEG

IMG_9275.JPEG

IMG_9276.JPEG

IMG_9282.JPEG

IMG_9283.JPEG

IMG_9284.JPEG

IMG_9285.JPEG

IMG_9288.JPEG

You have very course hair, did he use nape hair in the front row? How do you fel about the front row density so far mate?

On 6/7/2019 at 10:43 AM, Payam said:

You have very course hair, did he use nape hair in the front row? How do you fel about the front row density so far mate?

Yes Payam, my hair is very coarse which Dr. K mentioned on my initial consult a couple years ago. He didn't use nape hair as far as I know. 

The density is still early days, as my hair continues to improve and I will post the next update at 6 months.

• 3 months later...