Alcohol Consumption after Hair Transplant ?

I know Smoking is not such a good idea after having a Hair Transplant as it constricts the Blood Vessels supplying blood to the Hair Grafts which is very important for the growth and survival of the Hair Grafts !

But I wanted to know is Social Drinking also not good after Hair Transplant ? When I say Social Drinking I mean like once or twice in a week. That too socially ? I am not a Alcohol addict.

I am one Month and twenty days past my Hair Transplant. is it ok ? if I drink once or twice a week socially after one month and twenty days past my Hair Transplant ?

There are many different opinions on this subject. At the end of the day, most people will tell you to simply follow the advice of your doctor.

I had my hair transplant a year ago and I haven't had any alcohol at all since December 2017. At first, I avoided it just to be safe. Now it's been so long that I really don't want it anymore 😁

3 minutes ago, HopefulRaven said:

There are many different opinions on this subject. At the end of the day, most people will tell you to simply follow the advice of your doctor.

I had my hair transplant a year ago and I haven't had any alcohol at all since December 2017. At first, I avoided it just to be safe. Now it's been so long that I really don't want it anymore 😁

What you are talking about is a personal preference, what I am asking is from a Medical and a Result stand point, does it make any difference ? is it detrimental to the final result of the Hair Transplant ?

Nothing specific. Just live normal life that's what he told me, Hair Transplant is not a Punishment for life that is what he was trying to imply. You don't have to keep suffering in Misery.

3 hours ago, jooeey said:

I know Smoking is not such a good idea after having a Hair Transplant as it constricts the Blood Vessels supplying blood to the Hair Grafts which is very important for the growth and survival of the Hair Grafts !

But I wanted to know is Social Drinking also not good after Hair Transplant ? When I say Social Drinking I mean like once or twice in a week. That too socially ? I am not a Alcohol addict.

I am one Month and twenty days past my Hair Transplant. is it ok ? if I drink once or twice a week socially after one month and twenty days past my Hair Transplant ?

I had a glass of beer in the evening post op ,then I waited about 10 days ,then had 5 beers on a night out ,had a great result .Just common sense really  wouldn't advise going on the piss for a few weeks ,after a month you will be more than fine having a few social drinks ,the main advice from clinics is to do with pre op where drinking is concerned as alcohol thins the blood ,after that about 10 days seems to be the general advice before imbibing . 

12 minutes ago, Mick50 said:

I had a glass of beer in the evening post op ,then I waited about 10 days ,then had 5 beers on a night out ,had a great result .Just common sense really  wouldn't advise going on the piss for a few weeks ,after a month you will be more than fine having a few social drinks ,the main advice from clinics is to do with pre op where drinking is concerned as alcohol thins the blood ,after that about 10 days seems to be the general advice before imbibing . 

So you are saying, One month and Twenty days past Hair Transplant, having Alcohol or not should not matter in the end result ?

6 hours ago, jooeey said:

So you are saying, One month and Twenty days past Hair Transplant, having Alcohol or not should not matter in the end result ?

I would say yes ,I have never heard of any clinic saying alcohol  has to given up for a year post op ,but as I said common sense will tell you for your general health drinking too much is not good ,but a few social drinks won't do any harm ,but as always if you are that worried just contact your clinic and see what they say about it to put your mind at rest .

My understanding is alcohol two weeks prior to surgery & two weeks post surgery should be avoided as it thins the blood and can prolong the healing process. However, I don’t think the odd glas of wine or beer is going to impact on the overall result. As with most things in life, use a bit of common sense & everything in moderation. 

Alcohol consumption causes blood thinning, which can lead to excessive bleeding during surgery. So avoid alcohol 15 days prior to your hair transplant surgery. After surgery, you can consume alcohol after a break of 3-4 days. But it is always suggested to not risking your surgery and avoid alcohol until your follicles are recovered.

The main issue would be the thinning of the blood, hence why you don't want to drink leading up to/immediately following your procedure. HopefulRaven is right that the answer really does vary from doctor to doctor, so listening to your specific doctor and following his instructions is going to be your best bet. If we're speaking in terms of alcohol consumption actually negatively impacting your growth, I'm not aware of any research to back that up - and personally, I would feel comfortable consuming alcohol about 2 weeks after the procedure. (Even that I think is being fairly cautious and conservative.) 

Edited by pkipling

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I started drinking alcohol again after 10 days following both my procedures and I see no reason why it would be an issue. I had a few big nights with friends and saw no ill effects. 

Lots of other foods and medicines thin the blood so I'm sure it's fine. 

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

2 minutes ago, DEB1982 said:

I started drinking alcohol again after 10 days following both my procedures and I see no reason why it would be an issue. I had a few big nights with friends and saw no ill effects. 

Lots of other foods and medicines thin the blood so I'm sure it's fine. 

And did you have good results ? Did all your Hair Grafts grow ?

18 minutes ago, jooeey said:

And did you have good results ? Did all your Hair Grafts grow ?

I had an unbelievable result. Only 7 weeks out from my second op so have to wait and see! 

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

My only apprehension and concern is, they say the reason why you feel intoxicated after having Alcohol is because it inhibits flow of blood to your Brain and hence the Dizziness and Delay in your Body Movements, so I was wondering that lack of blood flow to the brain does it also include the blood not reaching to the Hair Grafts ? Can this happen with Alcohol Consumption ? Though it might be temporary till the time you come out of the state of intoxication !

On 1/28/2019 at 12:12 PM, jooeey said:

Yes. Ok now!

24 minutes ago, Dr. Sethi & Dr. Bansal said:

Yes. Ok now!

So Dr. Sethi & Dr. Bansal it will not affect my final hair transplant results right ? Since I am almost two months now post my HT ?

4 hours ago, jooeey said:

So Dr. Sethi & Dr. Bansal it will not affect my final hair transplant results right ? Since I am almost two months now post my HT ?

Not at all.

it won’t affect the final outcome. 

The final outcome could have been affected if you would have been dieting and keeping nutritional checks on proteins.

14 hours ago, Dr. Sethi & Dr. Bansal said:

Not at all.

it won’t affect the final outcome. 

The final outcome could have been affected if you would have been dieting and keeping nutritional checks on proteins.

Thank You Dr. Sethi & Dr. Bansal appreciate your expert opinion on this.