Why Does hairs extracted from the chest fall from the head after BHT surgery?

hairtargeter

Some clinics have informed me that hairs extracted from the chest fall after being implanted in the head in 3-4 years.

The chest's hair has a very different nature and anagen phases of the head hair. However, in many cases, it gets the same nature of the head hair and gets softer and longer in an only case opposite to the Orentreich’s theory that the transplanted organ keeps its original nature.

Does the chest's hair fall from the head when it sometimes fails to take the same nature of the head hair, or may it fall even if it takes the same nature of the head hair?

How long does it take for the chest's hair after transplanted in the head to take the same anagen phases of the head hair where there exists a very big difference in the anagen phases between the head hairs and the chest's hair?

Is the reason that the crown area, where the body's hair is usually transplanted, is the least area irrigated because of the little collateral circulation which leads to poor follicular nutrition in this area and therefore the hair is more likely to fall from it even for non-hereditary reasons?

Or is the reason, otherwise, because the hair implanted in it, even if takes the same nature of the head hair, may also take its genetic susceptibility to fall?

1 hour ago, saizakout said:

Some clinics have informed me that hairs extracted from the chest fall after being implanted in the head in 3-4 years.

The chest's hair has a very different nature and anagen phases of the head hair. However, in many cases, it gets the same nature of the head hair and gets softer and longer in an only case opposite to the Orentreich’s theory that the transplanted organ keeps its original nature.

Does the chest's hair fall from the head when it sometimes fails to take the same nature of the head hair, or may it fall even if it takes the same nature of the head hair?

How long does it take for the chest's hair after transplanted in the head to take the same anagen phases of the head hair where there exists a very big difference in the anagen phases between the head hairs and the chest's hair?

Is the reason that the crown area, where the body's hair is usually transplanted, is the least area irrigated because of the little collateral circulation which leads to poor follicular nutrition in this area and therefore the hair is more likely to fall from it even for non-hereditary reasons?

Or is the reason, otherwise, because the hair implanted in it, even if takes the same nature of the head hair, may also take its genetic susceptibility to fall?

Answer: In most of the times most of the chest hair dont grow after transplantation the way scalp or beard hair grow. I mean may be 30-50% planted chest hair show up. (Also to mention here that it is very difficult to extract the chest hair and in the process of extraction some 30-50% get transected or damaged, even in expert hands.)

Answer: It is difficult to predict whether "Donor dominance" or "Recepient dominance" is going to happen to the planted graft! But the chances of "Donor dominance" is more. 

Answer: The telogen phase of the chest hair is much longer than the scalp hair. The anagen (growth) phase of the chest hair is short. Once the chest hair fall they would take long time to grow back, unlike scalp hair.

Answer: As mentioned earlier, the chances of chest hair becoming like a scalp hair is less. 

Answer: No, not a valid reason.

Answer: The genetic susceptibility to fall under baldness is only for scalp hair. 

As mentioned earlier, the chances for growth and then sustenance by the chest hair is less. 

Ethical and scientific doctors would advise not to go for chest or other body hair, beyond scalp and beard.

Please let us know if you have got any more queries.

Dr Pradeep Sethi

www.eugenix.in

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much, Dr Pradeep, for the responses to my enquiries. In fact, I still have another enquiry which I have been about to raise it in the forum as a separate subject.

Body's hair is most often transplanted in the crown of the head, an area where hair is distributed in a centrifugal pattern other than the rest of the head so that hairs need to be transplanted in horizontal directions other than perpendicular, which makes the hair transplantation more difficult where it is also necessary to determine the center of the swirl and to shape the spiral hair distribution geometrically. The crown area of my head is empty where there is no hairs to help the determination of the center location of the swirl.

Do these factors of the difficulty of hair transplantation in the crown area in addition to the difficulty of injection of chest's grafts in the head derive the clinics to refrain performing integrated hair transplantation to me with covering the crown?

The crown of the head is the zone D as shown in the attached figure. It gives an aesthetic appearance for the head, even more than the zone C which may be hidden by hairstyles from zones B or D. However, clinics have justified that the crown is not needed to be hidden for the aesthetic purpose. It looks that clinics area really not interested to deal with the crown probably because of the above-mentioned reasons.

Head zones.jpg

Edited by saizakout

2 hours ago, saizakout said:

Thank you very much, Dr Pradeep, for the responses to my enquiries. In fact, I still have another enquiry which I have been about to raise it in the forum as a separate subject.

Body's hair is most often transplanted in the crown of the head, an area where hair is distributed in a centrifugal pattern other than the rest of the head so that hairs need to be transplanted in horizontal directions other than perpendicular, which makes the hair transplantation more difficult where it is also necessary to determine the center of the swirl and to shape the spiral hair distribution geometrically. The crown area of my head is empty where there is no hairs to help the determination of the center location of the swirl.

Do these factors of the difficulty of hair transplantation in the crown area in addition to the difficulty of injection of chest's grafts in the head derive the clinics to refrain performing integrated hair transplantation to me with covering the crown?

The crown of the head is the zone D as shown in the attached figure. It gives an aesthetic appearance for the head, even more than the zone C which may be hidden by hairstyles from zones B or D. However, clinics have justified that the crown is not needed to be hidden for the aesthetic purpose. It looks that clinics area really not interested to deal with the crown probably because of the above-mentioned reasons.

Head zones.jpg

Answer: This concept is half true! If a doctor can grow hair on the frontal scalp, then he can also grow hair on the crown. The angle varies on the scalp at different sites of the scalp.

Please see the results of our crown: 

Answer: No. These factors do not affect to an intelligent and experienced doctor.

Ans: We have the capacity to plant the total area of baldness and give a complete coverage; Zone B,C,D. So, we dont give any explanatations of not able to do on Zone D to our patients.

• Thanks 1

In the uploaded video clip showing the transplanted crowns, there exists for every case some hair in the back of the head which makes a reference for the surgeon to define the exact location of the center of the swirl. However, in my case, as shown in the attached photo, the back of my head is empty. Therefore, I wonder if the surgeon can exactly identify the swirl center location and the spiral direction of the centrifugal distribution.

Back-45.jpg

18 minutes ago, Dr. Sethi & Dr. Bansal said:

Answer: This concept is half true! If a doctor can grow hair on the frontal scalp, then he can also grow hair on the crown. The angle varies on the scalp at different sites of the scalp.

Please see the results of our crown: 

Answer: No. These factors do not affect to an intelligent and experienced doctor.

Ans: We have the capacity to plant the total area of baldness and give a complete coverage; Zone B,C,D. So, we dont give any explanatations of not able to do on Zone D to our patients.

Please go through our chapter upon Crown in our book.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, saizakout said:

In the uploaded video clip showing the transplanted crowns, there exists for every case some hair in the back of the head which makes a reference for the surgeon to define the exact location of the center of the swirl. However, in my case, as shown in the attached photo, the back of my head is empty. Therefore, I wonder if the surgeon can exactly identify the swirl center location and the spiral direction of the centrifugal distribution.

Back-45.jpg

Send a pic with head down.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, saizakout said:

in my case, as shown in the attached photo, the back of my head is empty. Therefore, I wonder if the surgeon can exactly identify the swirl center location and the spiral direction of the centrifugal distribution.

If you are completely smooth bald in the crown then the Dr can simply create a swirl pattern where and how he thinks it should be based on his experience. This is not an issue with reputable Drs and clinics. The swirl doesn't need to be in an exact certain location as long as the hairs are angled correctly and placed in the right direction according to how a natural head of hair would be.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

8 hours ago, Dr. Sethi & Dr. Bansal said:

Answer: In most of the times most of the chest hair dont grow after transplantation the way scalp or beard hair grow. I mean may be 30-50% planted chest hair show up. (Also to mention here that it is very difficult to extract the chest hair and in the process of extraction some 30-50% get transected or damaged, even in expert hands.)

Answer: It is difficult to predict whether "Donor dominance" or "Recepient dominance" is going to happen to the planted graft! But the chances of "Donor dominance" is more.

Does the beard hair have a possibility to take the same nature of the head hair too? If so, how percent the possibility?

Answer: The telogen phase of the chest hair is much longer than the scalp hair. The anagen (growth) phase of the chest hair is short. Once the chest hair fall they would take long time to grow back, unlike scalp hair.

Answer: As mentioned earlier, the chances of chest hair becoming like a scalp hair is less. 

Answer: No, not a valid reason.

Answer: The genetic susceptibility to fall under baldness is only for scalp hair. 

As mentioned earlier, the chances for growth and then sustenance by the chest hair is less. 

Ethical and scientific doctors would advise not to go for chest or other body hair, beyond scalp and beard.

Please let us know if you have got any more queries.

Dr Pradeep Sethi

www.eugenix.in

45 minutes ago, saizakout said:

Does the beard hair have a possibility to take the same nature of the head hair too? If so, how percent is its possibility?

How many grafts can be extracted from the chin?

The chances are less. But the experienced doctors mix them well with scalp hair and the ultimate outcome becomes great. We can extract upto 4000 grafts from the chin, cheek and sidelocks in your case. 

• Thanks 1

But 4000 grafts look so much to be basically taken from the chin. The cheek and sidelocks don't produce many hairs.

How many grafts which are taken from the chin only?

Will it leave the chin after the extraction empty or with a thin beard?

Edited by saizakout

22 hours ago, saizakout said:

But 4000 grafts look so much to be basically taken from the chin. The cheek and sidelocks don't produce many hairs.

How many grafts which are taken from the chin only?

Will it leave the chin after the extraction empty or with a thin beard?

You have close to 8000 plus grafts on your beard. 

If we are extracting 4000 odd grafts, you are still having more than 4000 grafts.

At the same time you have to prepare yourself to not flaunt a beard with great density for rest of your life.

If that is agreed then we can do the coverage very well, the way we do.

But if you appreciate, from my beard photo which I attached to you, that I have 8000 grafts in my chin, it means that my beard has somehow low density as the density range of beard is 7000-15000 hairs.

It's not a good choice for me to lose the half density of my beard. the beard hides the imperfections of the skin. Even if I shave it, it is better for the beard to be somehow thick to motivate the removal of the dead skin while shaving. I think that the appearance of the shaved face is more aesthetic and fresher when the beard is thicker.

Edited by saizakout