If money was no issue (surgeon differences)

On 1/26/2019 at 6:13 AM, JeanLDD said:

Both among top-tier clinics, particularly Rahal one of the best hairline surgeons in the world still. Neither has a lot of patient posted results at the moment which is the particular drawback I'd personally consider. 

yea i've noticed this as well. why is that? it's making me skeptical that none of these "home-runs" have been posted by patients, moreso of dr. rahal.  i'm waiting on a few nadimi results to come to fruition before i pull the trigger. idk i'm so back and forth 

On 1/22/2019 at 2:44 AM, bonkling said:

If money was no issue, and you could choose anyone, who would you choose?

Thanks everyone.

I would say relatively speaking "money was no issue"...in that I could have went with pretty much any doctor often discussed on this site...and I chose to fly from Texas to Vancouver, BC to Hasson/Wong.

Reasons: Reputation for great results,  willingness for large size transplants, depth of full time staff/technicians that only deal with hair transplants, nice, upscale, state of the art full-time surgery center, not afraid to show pricing calculator on their website, very easy. quick, informative communications and answers to my questions via e-mail as I was making the decision on what doctor to use for my transplant, total non-pushy approach.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Good post. A few things to consider. Pics are deceiving. One patient or Dr. might take honest pictures, but in a light and angle that looks great. Another patient may have had a better result, but take pics that show the weaknesses. I know with my HT I can take honest pics that make my hair look full and great and in other pics I can show it's faults today a 5 months and looks terrible.  That said look REALLY carefully at lots of results.  

I have come to the conclusion that pretty much any clinic that does HT ONLY and does it full time with a few years of experience will be posted about on here at least occasionally.  And I have also concluded that actual HT techniques are fairly basic and most competent surgeons can provide good results on transplant regrowth. Therefore any doc you see discussed much on here is good. But some have very different senses of style. Some dense pack young hairlines, some fill just enough. They all have a ascetic  they work towards. Find one who's eye matches yours. 

Turkey is a problem. Not because amazing work doesn't often come out of there. But they are technicians doing the work and the Dr. is basically managing the practice. So with most higher end operations where the Dr. does nearly all the work you know who actually has been producing the results they advertise. In Turkey, you have to hope the techs you get are great and it is a bit more of a crap shoot. A great value, but a little riskier.  So having said that, if money were no option I would grab any of the top dozen or so practices where the Dr. does all the extractions himself and most of the implanting. You know what you are getting.....rather than hoping the Dr. has hired a good tech for your procedure.  If money were no object I would have maybe Gabel do my front 1/2 to a nice density and still leave a bit in reserve. Then let Dr U in California fill the crown in with some body hair and never have to worry abut going bald.  I was a NW5 and probably will be a 6.  Reality is someone like me can't have a full head of hair with just the 6000 fu's in my donor area. But with unlimited funds. Any good FUE doc to do the front...and not a technician driven procedure. Then Dr U to work his magic on the crown.  $50,000 for a full head of hair!   Or go to turkey and "probably" get almost as good a job on the front and some filling in on the crown with body hair mixed in for under $10,000usd. 

On 1/30/2019 at 7:50 AM, JeanLDD said:

Honestly in your situation the main surgeons I would be considering are Erdogan or Hasson/Wong if you were inclined to go for FUT. Knowing your situation it is an issue of coverage, no one else is doing the huge FUE graft numbers I think best suit you in one go. I'd also definitely look at Lorenzo for FUE although I think he maxes out at 3000 grafts for one procedure, but you could do the crown/midscalp and hairline spread 6 months apart. He also has many cases on below average donors with people requiring extensive coverage.

Sucks I'd really  like to get this done already but after being shot down by Erdogan I still can't seem to settle on an alternative that I'm  feeling confident enough with to actually use. I feel almost paralyzed   like information over load here trying to weight all the facts hard to know whats real and whats not. Really not feeling confident enough to move forward with Rahal just not seeing enough resent patient results 

What do you think about Cinik or Yaman been seeing some good results?

Maybe get the bulk of the work done there cheap  to risky ?

2 hours ago, Markee said:

Sucks I'd really  like to get this done already but after being shot down by Erdogan I still can't seem to settle on an alternative that I'm  feeling confident enough with to actually use. I feel almost paralyzed   like information over load here trying to weight all the facts hard to know whats real and whats not. Really not feeling confident enough to move forward with Rahal just not seeing enough resent patient results 

What do you think about Cinik or Yaman been seeing some good results?

Maybe get the bulk of the work done there cheap  to risky ?

I would definitely consult Lorenzo, he’d be a good fit I think.  Cinik of course you’re not going to be getting the best service in the world for those prices, but in terms of the procedure itself I do think largely he has an effective and reasonably consistent system in place. If I had serious budget issues I would consider him with more research.

I wouldn’t disregard Rahal completely if price isn’t a huge issue to you, but if I remember the graft quote was in my opinion too low.

• 3 weeks later...

@bonkling

how are you doing mate? I'm from Australia as well and in the same boat as you. have you picked the surgeon yet? I've been digging in this amazing forum for months and gained lots of info and knowledge but I'm still far to name my dr.

Let us know how you go.

cheers

19 minutes ago, Jhonny said:

@bonkling

how are you doing mate? I'm from Australia as well and in the same boat as you. have you picked the surgeon yet? I've been digging in this amazing forum for months and gained lots of info and knowledge but I'm still far to name my dr.

Let us know how you go.

cheers

Hey Johnny, I'm good mate, how are you?

Not just yet mate, same situation as you.

I'm finding it hard because I keep seeing more good surgeons pop up, haha. I've got a few I'm considering, but I haven't made any enquiries. What about yourself? Anyone in particular?

Cheers :)

10 hours ago, bonkling said:

I'm finding it hard because I keep seeing more good surgeons pop up, haha. I've got a few I'm considering, but I haven't made any enquiries. What about yourself? Anyone in particular?

Like you said, every week a new potential surgeon pops up and makes me confused. Anyway I've got a few that are holding strong on my top list like Bhatti, Dermisoy, Devroye, Cinik. Have you considered any of them?

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2019 at 11:55 PM, bonkling said:

On 2/19/2019 at 10:58 AM, Jhonny said:

Like you said, every week a new potential surgeon pops up and makes me confused. Anyway I've got a few that are holding strong on my top list like Bhatti, Dermisoy, Devroye, Cinik. Have you considered any of them?

Another Aussie checking in, from Melb, have you guys given the Aussie docs a thought at all? Seems to be some competent guys around locally? ISHRS docs

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Palmtrees99 said:

Another Aussie checking in, from Melb, have you guys given the Aussie docs a thought at all? Seems to be some competent guys around locally? ISHRS docs

I haven’t heard of any, I know of Knudsen but don’t know enough about him. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:12 PM, RecessionProof said:

I asked myself the same question and it ultimately led me to book with Konior, even though he's one of the pricier surgeons out there.

You only get one hairline -- better to pay extra for something that will affect your appearance for the rest of your life (even if your hair continues to thin).

Who is more expensive than Konior?

9 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I haven’t heard of any, I know of Knudsen but don’t know enough about him. 

Yes for sure, I've had a consult with Knudsen, they have a great youtube channel too and come across as being about as knowledgeable as anyone could be on the topic. Dr Mario also seems to be very acclaimed internationally, but theres so little info on these guys results on the web unfortunately

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, RecessionProof said:

I asked myself the same question and it ultimately led me to book with Konior, even though he's one of the pricier surgeons out there.

You only get one hairline -- better to pay extra for something that will affect your appearance for the rest of your life (even if your hair continues to thin).

yep. it's an investment

On 1/22/2019 at 7:10 PM, bonkling said:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. 

Dr. Konior seems to be a popular choice, even though he may be expensive. I don't think I've seen much other than good/great results on these forums. 

I may have a look into his clinic, too.

I havent seen konior botch a procedure. ever. 

Someone please link a procedure konior or nadimi botched? 

The premium price being paid is a risk premium. You can go to turkey and go to the asmed clinic. What you dont see is the 3/10 procedures that have unsatisfactory results there. I dont know the exact %, but if a clinic does volume and has so many cooks in the kitchen there's variability.

For a certain clientelle, they would rather not fuck this up and pay upwards of $10k, $15k, $20k to do it right the first time with a Shapiro, Konior, Nadimi. $20k might be a month of salary to some folks. to others, it might be 5 years of savings. shrug