What do you guys think? Too young? Candidate or not?

Hello everyone. First post.

I am 24 years old and my hair loss have reached a point for me where im unhappy with it. 
Ive started loosing my hair when i was 21 where it started out quiet aggressively, and now i still lose some but seems to be more stabilized.

I dont know where my hairloss is gonna take me because the male persons on my mothers side has a full hairpackage, and the same goes for my dads site EXCEPT for him. I would say he is a NW 6. 

My question is do you think i should get over with it now and get a HT done or would i be better off waiting? And does you based of the pictures of my hair think i am a good candidate for a FUE procedure and think that im able to get some of the great results you see around here?   

Looking forward to hear from you. 

1129591758_Skrmbillede2019-01-18kl_15_57_46.thumb.png.55332ab70173047b9744bfac056d017a.png

762213285_Skrmbillede2019-01-18kl_15_59_36.png.067a09bfad8b406abb036cccc434ffd3.png

404186478_Skrmbillede2019-01-18kl_15_58_42.png.3f01cae2a58c2056edd29e91256cdf82.png

Skærmbillede 2019-01-18 kl. 15.58.00.png

Edited by Ditzel

Are you on meds?  Have they worked?

Unlike most guys your age I do think you have enough hair loss to benefit from a transplant, and it appears you are a good candidate.  I agree you may be naturally headed for a NW6 and since you have a good, thick donor I would consider FUT.  You may need a lot of lifetime grafts (or you may not) so strip would be the most conservative method to prepare for potential future loss at a large scale.  I personally would do FUE only if I was quite certain I wanted to wear my hair in a nearly shaved fashion in the future.  I didn't get a HT to do that.

If you manage things right from a young age you can still lose almost all your native hair on top and come out fine.  

Edited by purple18

• Administrators

You’re not too young, but I would be conservative in your goals. There’s a good chance the crown will thin and expand in the coming years. You want to keep enough donor supply to adequately cover the rest of your scalp. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Too young, if you’re not get on the meds and revisit in a couple of years. There is a recent example on this forum of a guy that had fantastic results in months after stating Finasteride, worth a try. Good luck. 

I think the pics are really bad, but with meds, I MAY would consider you an FUE candidate in a very conservative case. 

You are likely headed to a nw6 with the pattern I can see. 

IMO, the best advice you will get would be to get on finasteride and minox and check back in a couple years. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hey man, your hairloss is pretty advanced for your young age, I agree with Spanker’s comment. Your donor area looks okay but if you give it a couple of years on minoxidil/finasteride/biotin and see if it benefits you first, and see if your hairloss has advanced further, then after it would be viable to get a procedure done if you’ve done your research for a suitable surgeon. Good luck.

• Moderators

if you get a hair transplant, get a high, conservative hairline. This way you will lower any potential donor issues in the future because you will use less donor hair now, but at the same time you will look better now, which is the immediate goal on younger men. In other words, look better now with your mind on what you will look like and need as far as donor in the future. You seem to be a good candidate for that approach based on the pictures.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

the problem is you're really not "getting over with it now" by getting a hair transplant .. you continue to progressively lose native hair, so you're actually committing to a keeping up with additional future surgeries - this coming from someone who had a HT in my 20's, it was a completely bad decision for me .. I'd recommend getting on meds, minox, supplements, etc and seeing how your hair loss pattern develops - wait until your 30's

Edited by home1212
  • Like 1

• Administrators

^good advice 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Your crown area looks great. Get on Fin and save what you have. If you respond well to Fin and are willing to continue taking it for life then in my opinion you are a candidate. Be very conservative and keep a higher hair line if you decide to go through with surgery but keep in mind it will be a life long commitment and you will need at least 1 more surgery down the road. 

Donor looks thick. If you're on fin I think an HT could be a good option. I believe Jean was 24 when he got his first procedure. 

It's a big long-term commitment that will sometimes feel like a huge waste of time so make sure it's the path you want to go down.