How to undo a hair transplant ASAP

12 hours ago, txtransplant said:

Doesnt H&W mostly do FUT? AKA strip?  If that's the case...huge mistake for you.

Yes good point. I think they focus on strip, bur also do FUE very well. I’ll be checking how many repair cases like mine that they’ve done. I am giving them a chance, and will consider them along with some other surgeons who are better known for FUE repair work and with background in dermatology, facial plastic surgery, or scar minimization (Cooley, Wesley, Nadimi). I’m planning in person consultations and will ask for photos of patients who got similar work done as what I intend. The reason I’ll consider H&W is that they seem to know how to design a hairline and get good survival rates even for FUE patients. What I’m not so sure about is their success in frontal extraction with scar minimization.

On 2/10/2019 at 8:17 AM, txtransplant said:

Doesnt H&W mostly do FUT? AKA strip?  If that's the case...huge mistake for you.

I would think H&W primarily does FUT, but they also do a lot of FUE.

It really depends on the patient as far as coverage needed, donor hair, economics/FUE is more labor intensive thus more expensive, and other factors.

Hasson/Wong has performed two FUT's on me and Dr. Wong stated if I have another transplant it needs to be a FUE procedure.

I will probably have one more surgery with Hasson/Wong and it will be my first FUE. I really don't look forward to the long face-down time in the chair for a FUE surgery and the additional expense of FUE.....but at my age and my surgery history I have no choice but FUE.

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

11 hours ago, Shampoo said:

I would think H&W primarily does FUT, but they also do a lot of FUE.

It really depends on the patient as far as coverage needed, donor hair, economics/FUE is more labor intensive thus more expensive, and other factors.

Hasson/Wong has performed two FUT's on me and Dr. Wong stated if I have another transplant it needs to be a FUE procedure.

I will probably have one more surgery with Hasson/Wong and it will be my first FUE. I really don't look forward to the long face-down time in the chair for a FUE surgery and the additional expense of FUE.....but at my age and my surgery history I have no choice but FUE.

I think clinics use different positions during extractions for FUE. For example, I've seen asmed have their patients sit upright in a chair. Other docs have you lay face down and shift on your sides for extractions. But yeah, I'd imagine either way its still more tiring being in one position for several hours vs having the strip taken out in an hour or less.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:36 PM, jj51702 said:

I think clinics use different positions during extractions for FUE. For example, I've seen asmed have their patients sit upright in a chair. Other docs have you lay face down and shift on your sides for extractions. But yeah, I'd imagine either way its still more tiring being in one position for several hours vs having the strip taken out in an hour or less.

I would be thrilled if I could sit up in the chair for FUE extraction which takes hours and hours. Hopefully more and more clinics will begin to offer this as an option.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Donor area, 3 and 37 days post transplant. This does not look good. With 2369 grafts, it looks like many had to have been taken very close together. The areas where I have signs of shockloss looked bad already just 3 days after the transplant. I did trim it down once, so that’s not 37 days worth of growth in the pic with longer hair. More like 2-3 weeks.

E926162F-D901-4C78-9F97-65170CD0E98B.jpeg

77D1989E-6FD7-45BE-9CFE-428276125190.jpeg

0E185F47-FEA4-4BEA-A875-6AABEF394F27.jpeg

50B5D2CF-97B0-4634-9260-B1A7F11FBE59.png

Looks fine to me. Very common to have some shock loss in donor for several months after. I had the same and it all grew back by month 4 or so. 

I feel the trauma of the surgery just screws with the remaining donor sometimes and causes some hairs to stop growing as quickly or even altogether for a few months. They do resume growing eventually.

That isn’t pitting in your other pics, either. I got scared about that same pocked appearance after my first HT because I hadn’t noticed it in other peoples’ pics. I soon realized, as you said, that it’s impossible to pick up the surface in such detail unless you get the right lighting and angle....which 99.9 percent of people who take update pics don’t capture. I then went back and looked at peoples’ update pics who took really up close pics and noticed they all had this pocked appearance after all. It looks knarly (especially if you had no hair there before) for several months but my skin is 100 percent healed and completely normal in these areas now (which it doesn’t matter as my transplanted hair covers it now).

The pitted and shiny skin was definitely my biggest fear at first because I simply didn’t know that was normal due to everyone else’s pictures not picking this up. Skin takes a long time to heal....like a year. 

Edited by matt3480

59 minutes ago, matt3480 said:

Looks fine to me. Very common to have some shock loss in donor for several months after. I had the same and it all grew back by month 4 or so. 

I feel the trauma of the surgery just screws with the remaining donor sometimes and causes some hairs to stop growing as quickly or even altogether for a few months. They do resume growing eventually.

That isn’t pitting in your other pics, either. I got scared about that same pocked appearance after my first HT because I hadn’t noticed it in other peoples’ pics. I soon realized, as you said, that it’s impossible to pick up the surface in such detail unless you get the right lighting and angle....which 99.9 percent of people who take update pics don’t capture. I then went back and looked at peoples’ update pics who took really up close pics and noticed they all had this pocked appearance after all. It looks knarly (especially if you had no hair there before) for several months but my skin is 100 percent healed and completely normal in these areas now (which it doesn’t matter as my transplanted hair covers it now).

The pitted and shiny skin was definitely my biggest fear at first because I simply didn’t know that was normal due to everyone else’s pictures not picking this up. Skin takes a long time to heal....like a year. 

Thanks for the reply. I’m glad to hear that this is normal, because I love the #2 guard and I’ll do SMP or even FUE reversal to be able to do it. I still think the extractions should have been more spread out, but at least I can expect some real improvement.

Yea, regarding the pitted appearance: I was obsessed enough that I managed to find some fairly close up pics of someone’s recipient area after a transplant from a top doc, where there was a pitted appearance. What a relief that was. I’ll add them to my “is this pitting” thread in case someone else is similarly obsessed with their pitted appearance in the future. My recipient area is basically ok now.

I’m hitting the gym today and will be doing so 5 days per week to focus my anxiety on the core powerlifts. It helps a lot.

This place is like a support group, as well as being great for information. I really appreciate all of the great help and solid analysis and information.

• 1 month later...

Here’s how it looks now at a “2” length:

4F8F4BAF-557C-4D64-9E1E-28427B7D60E3.thumb.jpeg.f5889ce043eb64dca13587352df74019.jpeg

Another angle, at a “1” length:

A1E3B83B-2593-4949-8957-B6AA89881F3E.thumb.jpeg.7dd94d73254f899291c134d027bc734a.jpeg

Honestly, I think it looks bad. Even at 3 months with some shock loss. It can’t all be shock loss. It looks like there are big white dots closely spaced.

• Moderators

It' not great, but I don't think it looks horrible. It may still improve over the next few months if you have some shock loss. The #2 length doesn't really look bad at all, at least from the picture. If it's really bothering you then maybe try letting your hair grow out for another month and then buzz it down again and see if it looks better by then.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

18 minutes ago, VicTNYC said:

Your donor looks a bit better and could possibly improve over the next few months to be honest.

Did your surgeon use a manual or motorized tool for graft extraction?

He used a motorized tool. You can see an example of some of the "work" by the same doctor above in this thread, from the user 'bornwithhighforehead'.

The doc said there was no sign of hair loss at the crown. Then he bragged that he extracted from only the safest zone. Logically, if some of the extracted follicles were not permanent, then some of the follicles on my midscalp or crown would not be permanent either. And it doesn't look like I really have a really huge donor supply...

17 minutes ago, Nebulosity said:

He used a motorized tool. You can see an example of some of the "work" by the same doctor above in this thread, from the user 'bornwithhighforehead'.

The doc said there was no sign of hair loss at the crown. Then he bragged that he extracted from only the safest zone. Logically, if some of the extracted follicles were not permanent, then some of the follicles on my midscalp or crown would not be permanent either. And it doesn't look like I really have a really huge donor supply...

Oh I see, then the way your donor was harvested and now looks makes sense especially if the surgeon rushes the extraction with a motorized tool. Still, donor could improve.

On the bright side, you’re pretty damn lucky not to have any crown hair loss issues given your age of 40 since it looks dense, so thats a plus. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, VicTNYC said:

Oh I see, then the way your donor was harvested and now looks makes sense especially if the surgeon rushes the extraction with a motorized tool. Still, donor could improve.

On the bright side, you’re pretty damn lucky not to have any crown hair loss issues given your age of 40 since it looks dense, so thats a plus. 👍🏻

Do you mean that grafts were extracted right next to each other, or some other kind of damage occurred?

My plan is to get a multi-procedure repair. [1] Remove many of the frontal grafts that have been implanted and implant them further back for more density. [2] Implant single hair grafts in the front, because right now I have mostly multi hair grafts in the front row.

I'll also consider asking for some follicles to be implanted into the sparse spots in my donor zone.

Lastly, it was a big mistake to go to this doctor. He should not be an IAHRS member, or the IAHRS is meaningless. It was Dr Bhatti. If anyone is considering going to this doctor, look up the results people post in this forum. Consistently horrible results. I'm ashamed to have gone to such a sub par doctor.

I'll post a more detailed thread about my results with Dr Bhatti later on. For now, I think it is my responsibility to give back to this forum by giving my honest assessment of Dr Bhatti. I doubt that he'll give me a refund, so let me just say the following for now:

Dr Bhatti told me he would implant single hair grafts in the first two rows, but actually I could only find a few in the front row, and I see a few multi hair grafts in the front row of my temple points already at 3 months, which does not look natural at all. He hurriedly extracted from my donor zone, and only got around 60 single hair grafts out of a supposed total of 2369. He said he would divide some multi hair grafts to produce single hair grafts. When I asked him about that, he said they got "around two hundred." Yet it seems that I only got around 60 single hair grafts in my scalp. When I asked him questions the days after my procedure, even though I never took up much of his time before or after the procedure, he ignored most of my questions, and offered to Skype instead of addressing my questions by email. When I Skyped him, he asked me how long ago I had had my transplant, which means he probably didn't know any other details of my transplant. He absolutely refused to discuss density, and just said that he did his best given the availability of grafts. Yet he was the one who repeatedly encouraged me to lower my hairline further than I had initially asked for.

Save yourself a lot of problems, and don't go to Dr Bhatti. I regret my decision immensely. I would pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to just reverse what has been done.

I have begun receiving notification of every post on here and I have turned all notifications off.  I have zero interest in this topic so please stop notifying me of every post.  You might as well remove me entirely from the forum because I have achieved my goals and have nothing to add to the forum.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

1 minute ago, Dazed said:

I have begun receiving notification of every post on here and I have turned all notifications off.  I have zero interest in this topic so please stop notifying me of every post.  You might as well remove me entirely from the forum because I have achieved my goals and have nothing to add to the forum.

If you use Gmail, create a filter. Any emails from this forum can immediately be sent to trash. Instead of commenting on this thread, consider creating a new topic so that a moderator is notified and can help you.

Sorry to hear you are not happy. I've never really been a fan of moving a hairline down so much but if someone want's it it done, I would only go to a top tier surgeon like a Konior or a H&W personally.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Sorry to hear you are not happy. I've never really been a fan of moving a hairline down so much but if someone want's it it done, I would only go to a top tier surgeon like a Konior or a H&W personally.

Thanks. Well I'm actually planning to raise it. I'll have the grafts extracted and placed further up. Then on a subsequent procedure I'll have single hair grafts implanted to create a natural looking hairline. I agree what I got was too low. A lot of things were happening in my life, and my judgement was way off at that point. But I think some of the blame should be placed on the doctor for encouraging such a low hairline. I'm going to have like an 18 month ugly ducking stage, instead of the usual few months. Oh well. I'll have more time to develop software alone.

I've already discussed it with H&W and Cooley, and will also get a consultation with Feriduni. This is something I have to fix.

Edited by Nebulosity

Sorry to hear about your experience. I do think that there are few issues here. I do think the hairline can be raised a bit by extracting the grafts and recycling them higher up. You will need more singles in the transition zone. As for the donor, I think you may have a bigger safe zone than what was extracted but it will be hard to only judge based on photos. Nonetheless it looks good once hair is longer and could still improve. SMP is a nice option to hide the areas of scarring should you decide to shave closer. 

All the best!

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

25 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Sorry to hear about your experience. I do think that there are few issues here. I do think the hairline can be raised a bit by extracting the grafts and recycling them higher up. You will need more singles in the transition zone. As for the donor, I think you may have a bigger safe zone than what was extracted but it will be hard to only judge based on photos. Nonetheless it looks good once hair is longer and could still improve. SMP is a nice option to hide the areas of scarring should you decide to shave closer. 

All the best!

Thanks. I am planning to do all of the above.

I think, with enough time and around 2-3 procedures from top docs, I can finally get a good result. As I gather more information, I'll start a fresh thread regarding the repair. This forum will be my 2nd home for around 2-3 more years. Apologies in advance. 🤞

Edited by Nebulosity

• Administrators

Nebulosity,

I’m sorry about your situation, I’m glad that our forum has helped. Please pm me your name and date of surgery. I will reach out to Dr. Bhatti so he can reply to your concerns. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:57 AM, Nebulosity said:

Yes good point. I think they focus on strip, bur also do FUE very well. I’ll be checking how many repair cases like mine that they’ve done. I am giving them a chance, and will consider them along with some other surgeons who are better known for FUE repair work and with background in dermatology, facial plastic surgery, or scar minimization (Cooley, Wesley, Nadimi). I’m planning in person consultations and will ask for photos of patients who got similar work done as what I intend. The reason I’ll consider H&W is that they seem to know how to design a hairline and get good survival rates even for FUE patients. What I’m not so sure about is their success in frontal extraction with scar minimization.

Spoke to dr hasson about 3 weeks ago and he told me that it’s a pretty even split now, 50% FUE 50% FUT.

also have a look at this thread, frontal grafts were extracted and this was a repair with FUE

Edited by Aftermath
  • Like 1

Here are some more images of the donor area:

[1] In all its “glory”:

7E21A2B3-9690-4DAD-8AF2-D0E4D034AE4B.thumb.jpeg.8de1d7ef5024ec4714e802fd95c8db04.jpeg

[2] In more forgiving lighting:

40A9B40B-D9DC-4E74-8454-2A28C5B3F25F.thumb.jpeg.ea23584deadfbe0ecc3b7e404532b80e.jpeg

[2] Annotated to illustrate the irregularities:

C1632D65-F08F-4340-AF2E-E7ABAD724176.thumb.jpeg.b684bd98e7b5261cbdf0360daf3d62aa.jpeg

[3] More of the same, from different angles:

15D162DA-C4D2-4508-8E41-855B7DDCDC34.thumb.jpeg.df604934b8820d6948c7f9bd0d6f1e19.jpeg

D336F3CF-C7E5-42FC-A4CC-0634CC11996B.thumb.jpeg.90c6cf2082fd11ee84bfeb8fee642ac4.jpeg

027EAEE6-FD14-4D7C-A3EB-04DCEB86C5A0.thumb.jpeg.f66890bb07621403dfd57ca927280689.jpeg

F312F560-2E7C-4777-8F6F-4F935792373E.thumb.jpeg.aa470bc4fbf269693972994a4e9ee2b9.jpeg

[4] Now, a photo from a few days after the procedure. Note that Dr Bhatti bragged about only extracting from the safest donor zone, as if that was a good thing...

I’ve added lines showing where the boundaries of extraction probably would have been, had I gone to a top doc.

D74B1E2B-3D86-4621-AF01-111A4C7D823C.thumb.jpeg.5c2d1d2c4f087d0193071cfd84c68c52.jpeg

All he had to have done was just be more meticulous and extract from a larger area. I asked him about this, and he said that the area above where he extracted was not the safe zone... yet it seems that all top doctors extract higher up, and would have for me. It seems odd to be "cautious" about extracting higher, while telling me that I'm showing no signs of hair loss at the crown, and then not being cautious at all about the cosmetic effects his irregular extraction pattern would create. He said that extracting from the lower part would have left long scars... but I’m pretty sure that’s only true below the red line. He could have extracted higher and further forward on the sides. And he could have extracted more uniformly within the region of extraction (you can see that the distribution of extraction matches the irregular pattern visible in my donor area now). But he didn’t do any of that. He messed up my donor area, but he didn't have to. He is impervious to questions about this, and I've lost all confidence that he could even acknowledge that he caused any damage. Seriously, I would like Dr Bhatti to come on to this thread and explain why it was a good thing to extract from such a narrow area. Wouldn't FUT have produced a better cosmetic result in the donor area? What is the point of FUE, if you're going to produce results like the below? The below image is the donor area of another former Bhatti patient.

163178871_20190121_020345255_iOS.jpg.9361b115d09da114df4a1e10918f201d(1).jpg.e5ac11f7b95cd1c2d531115f960471cb.jpg

I know that people are going to say that I should wait. I agree that my result will look better as time goes on. But that doesn't mean that observations cannot be made now. It's my responsibility as a board member to point out what I see as poor work, to warn others so that they don't suffer as I am now.

Edited by Nebulosity