Minoxidil 5% vs 10%

Disa

• 2 weeks later...

There used to be some doctors such as Richard lee that would compound minoxidil with azelaic acid up to concentrations of 15%. He claimed the higher percentage of minoxidil worked better for stubborn areas of hair loss. He was shut down by the fda about 6 years back however and most places selling high strength minoxidil are online or through a compounding pharmacy. I haven’t seen a lot through the years in terms of convincing results. A few guys claim it works for them but there were others that would argue a regular 5% minoxidil would have given the same results. 

Its really up in the air as there aren’t any studies showing the efficacy of concentrations higher than 5%

• Like 1

Agree - I was on 15% and then 30% creams from Murray Avenue Apothecary Compounding Pharmacy vis a vi medicalwellnesscenter prescribing physician for many years.

I switched to ORAL Minox and ORAL Spriro in May of '18  two doses per day - there is no comparsion between topical and oral systemic results.

Taking the pills though has potential side effects at higher doses; I would not recommend this for the majority of male hairloss sufferers.  Better to stay w/5% foam in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 6:38 PM, jjsrader said:

Agree - I was on 15% and then 30% creams from Murray Avenue Apothecary Compounding Pharmacy vis a vi medicalwellnesscenter prescribing physician for many years.

I switched to ORAL Minox and ORAL Spriro in May of '18  two doses per day - there is no comparsion between topical and oral systemic results.

Taking the pills though has potential side effects at higher doses; I would not recommend this for the majority of male hairloss sufferers.  Better to stay w/5% foam in the long run.

Any difference of opinion now that you’ve been on oral Minoxidil for a while? I’ve just started as I found the liquid/fluid too messy for my liking. 

• Like 1

I'm at 10mg morning and 5 mg evening (started that after 9 months of 5mg morning and 5 mg pm).  Everything is the same and I do check my Blood Pressure at least 3X's per week.

It works; simple as.  In another 9 months I'll move up to 10mg morning and 10mg evening.

Oral Minox (Loniten) is tolerated exceptionally well up to 60mg per day in divided doses w/o side effects by the vast majority of people

Note: I take 150mg of Aldactone/Spironolatone per day (100mg in the morning and 50 mg in the pm) .   It is a mild diuretic and is frequently taken w/Loniten for water retention.

I work out a lot and have actually lost 15lbs since October '18.  I have no side effects and will continue this regimen indefinitely.

Edited by jjsrader

2 hours ago, jjsrader said:

I'm at 10mg morning and 5 mg evening (started that after 9 months of 5mg morning and 5 mg pm).  Everything is the same and I do check my Blood Pressure at least 3X's per week.

It works; simple as.  In another 9 months I'll move up to 10mg morning and 10mg evening.

Oral Minox (Loniten) is tolerated exceptionally well up to 60m per day in divided doses w/o side effects by the vast majority of people

Note: I take 150mg of Aldactone/Spironolatone per day (100mg in the morning and 50 mg in the pm) .   It is a mild diuretic and is frequently taken w/Loniten for water retention.

I work out a lot and have actually lost 15lbs since October '18.  I have no side effects and will continue this regimen indefinitely.

Cheers pal, appreciate the advice. 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Be careful raising your dose of minoxidil as it can cause heart problems.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 3 months later...
On 2/8/2019 at 7:07 AM, jjsrader said:

Oral Minox (Loniten) is tolerated exceptionally well up to 60mg per day in divided doses w/o side effects by the vast majority of people

Does oral minoxidil really work?

1 hour ago, Uncle drew said:

Does oral minoxidil really work?

Yes massively, and I think @jjsrader advice is spot on if going that high a dosage. I took 10mg loniten and saw great results but I was wary of long term effects and stopped.

6 hours ago, s14a said:

...I might start again after fue

6 hours ago, s14a said:

Yes massively, and I think @jjsrader advice is spot on if going that high a dosage. I took 10mg loniten and saw great results but I was wary of long term effects and stopped.

That’s great news I hesitated to start oral minoxidil afraid that it doesn’t work but I’m happy that everybody say that it works cuz topical lost its efficacy on me plus I can’t be applying twice a day I’m sick of it 

Still on oral minox (10mg a.m. & 10mg p.m.) along w/Spiro 100mg a day (down from 150mg).  Do they work?  I have no side effects and after 20+ years of upping my minox all the way to 30% cream I had custom compounded - frankly I was done w/lotions and liquids on my longer transplanted and natural hair.

It's been just over 13 months now.  I also use a 400+ laser hair helmet and am going for scar revision surgery and more hair transplants this winter.  I also have taken Dutasteride since 2002 and before that was on Propecia. 

So I'm in it for the long haul and use whatever I think gives me the most bang for my buck.  If anyone wants to use pills - start w/lower dosages and move up slowly if no side effects is my advice. 

• 2 months later...

Do all of you use minoxidil twice a day daily?I have been using minoxidil 5% once day, I double the single use dosage. I have been doing so for years and believe it to be effective. However, I am also on finasteride. So not sure whether my hair would have been better if i used it twice a day. Any thoughts on whether using it once a day is less effective?

I also remember reading on Dr. Bernstein's website, that minoxidil has a half-life of 22 hours, so its almost as effective, im assuming. 

Also, has anyone used minoxidil from minoxidilmax.com, I have been using their 5% with minoxdil and azelaic acid 5%. I came across this product that they recently launched, https://www.minoxidilmax.com/maxogen-x and seriously considering switching to this. Any expereiences, thoughts would be great! Thanks

6 hours ago, aceguy said:

Do all of you use minoxidil twice a day daily?I have been using minoxidil 5% once day, I double the single use dosage. I have been doing so for years and believe it to be effective. However, I am also on finasteride. So not sure whether my hair would have been better if i used it twice a day. Any thoughts on whether using it once a day is less effective?

I also remember reading on Dr. Bernstein's website, that minoxidil has a half-life of 22 hours, so its almost as effective, im assuming. 

Also, has anyone used minoxidil from minoxidilmax.com, I have been using their 5% with minoxdil and azelaic acid 5%. I came across this product that they recently launched, https://www.minoxidilmax.com/maxogen-x and seriously considering switching to this. Any expereiences, thoughts would be great! Thanks

I’ve seen plenty of guys use it only once a day and get great results. Bernstein has many cases posted on his site. If you want u can try the foam in the morning which is very user friendly in terms of dry time and styling